Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help identify plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a code issue. 10-30's are not approved for new installs, and then you get into the whole ground/neutral question on a permanent outlet in the house. Even though it is a little "Rube Goldberg", I would stay with the 6-30 to 10-30 cable/adapter and the 10-30 adapter for the UMC.
I never understood why Lowes/Home Depot/etc have bins of 10-30R's and 10-50R's since they are no longer allowed.

Even if you were allowed to replace the plug with a 10-30R, it probably wouldn't work in this case. There's likely no neutral wire (since the L6 is hot/hot/ground - if there was, you could just install a 14-30 and be done), and you can't repurpose a green or bare conductor for a neutral conductor (NEMA 10 is hot/hot/neutral). Also, it's possible the existing ground conductor may not be large enough to carry the full 30A someone could draw at 120V on a 10-30.

Where's FlasherZ when we need him? :smile:

I did a little image enhancement and 180˚ rotate. See below. I read this as a L6-50R.
If you'll allow me to wax pedantic, there is no such beast - the NEMA L6 and L14 series max out at 30 amps. There are 50A twist locks (marine NEMA SS2-50 and the California Series/CS plugs), but they aren't part of the L6 or L14 specs.

Cosmacelf's adapter doc has lots of useful info and is worth mentioning here: http://cosmacelf.net/Home Made Adapters.pdf

I agree that the best option is probably to build or buy an L6-30P to 14-30R or 10-30R adapter and the matching UMC adapter. Pick 14-30 or 10-30 based on what you are more likely to need at other locations.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
If you'll allow me to wax pedantic, there is no such beast - the NEMA L6 and L14 series max out at 30 amps. There are 50A twist locks (marine NEMA SS2-50 and the California Series/CS plugs), but they aren't part of the L6 or L14 specs.

At least some think it exists. See NEMA Locking Plug and Receptacle Technical Drawings
Here is a clip from there...

L6.png

The one that I really like is the L23-60. That connector can carry enough power to support 50 kW charging; I want a quint-charger! Hmmm...maybe, it would take a hexacharger... :cool:

L23.png

At least some think it exists. See NEMA Locking Plug and Receptacle Technical Drawings
Here is a clip from there...
When I was researching high-current twist-locks for a project a while back, I did come across some reference that seemed to imply that 50 and 60A plugs may have existed in the L6 and L14 series, but either never made it into the standard, or were dropped early on. I found plenty of 50A 240 and 120/240 plugs, but nothing called an L6-50 or L14-50. In that case, I gave up and used an L6-30 (which was good enough):

NEMA Twist Lock Reference Chart

California Standard 50A Reference Chart

When I was researching high-current twist-locks for a project a while back, I did come across some reference that seemed to imply that 50 and 60A plugs may have existed in the L6 and L14 series, but either never made it into the standard, or were dropped early on. I found plenty of 50A 240 and 120/240 plugs, but nothing called an L6-50 or L14-50. In that case, I gave up and used an L6-30 (which was good enough):

NEMA Twist Lock Reference Chart

California Standard 50A Reference Chart

I think that you are correct. I know that I have a NEMA 14-50 to CS-50 adapter that I use for a "spider box." The "spider box" that you see at lots of construction sites, large parties, etc, uses the California Standard CS-50.

Inlaws just put a plug in their garage; they say it's on "at least" a 30 amp fuse, but don't know the plug type.

Here's a pic. The online guides I've looked at are ambiguous (at least to my untrained eye). Is this a NEMA 6-30?

Since it was just installed, perhaps it would be useful to unscrew the face plate (breakers turned OFF please) and see if the electrician also ran an unused neutral wire. If so, it would be easy to convert it to a NEMA 14-30.

Last edited:
Since the 10-30 adapter is no longer available from Tesla, any suggestions on how to use this type of receptacle (L6-30)? It seems that going the route of [L6-30 --> 14-50] --> [14-50 --> UMC] and remembering to lower the Amps down to 24 is the way to go now?
The 14-30 Tesla adapter is supposed to be available. However, I don't see it in the store right now. Ask a service center. That is really the best way - using a Tesla adapter that is coded to the right current level.

The 14-30 Tesla adapter is supposed to be available. However, I don't see it in the store right now. Ask a service center. That is really the best way - using a Tesla adapter that is coded to the right current level.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the earlier posts in this thread but is the way the 14-30 is wired OK for this application? I'm curious why that route wasn't mentioned earlier and using a 14-50 was suggested instead. Since I cannot find any adapters that are [L6-30 --> 14-30] but I can find some which are [L6-30 --> 14-50] I'm presuming there must be something in the way the neutral is/isn't used.

I understand what you are saying about matching the amps (so I don't need to remember to manually change it) but I'm not sure that will work...???

I'm pretty sure both the 10-30 and 14-30 are being recalled and replaced. This would imply that they should both be available in the future (maybe after the recall is completed). I can imagine them limiting production to replacements only.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the earlier posts in this thread but is the way the 14-30 is wired OK for this application? I'm curious why that route wasn't mentioned earlier and using a 14-50 was suggested instead. Since I cannot find any adapters that are [L6-30 --> 14-30] but I can find some which are [L6-30 --> 14-50] I'm presuming there must be something in the way the neutral is/isn't used.

I understand what you are saying about matching the amps (so I don't need to remember to manually change it) but I'm not sure that will work...???
Yes, it will work. All 14-XX outlets are wired the same way (a bit oversimplified; the 14-50 requires heavier gauge wire). The UMC does not use the neutral on a 14-XX outlet, just the ground.

In fact, since an L6-30 has no neutral (locking version of the 6-30; hot/hot/ground), the neutral on the 14-XX side of the adapter is unconnected.

The only real difference between an L6-30 -> 14-50 and an L6-30 -> 14-30 is the shape of the neutral slot on the 14-XX

The UMC and car don't care about the Neutral being open (N/C). You just have to label the adapter clearly that it's only for car charging because it can damage other equipment that does need the neutral. You will have to build the adapter custom because it's not a commonly needed configuration. You can find the L6-30 plug and 14-30 socket at Home Depot or other home improvement stores..

Looks like an L6-30 twist-lock connector. This has no neutral wire on it, so you can't convert to a 14-30, but you could convert this to a 10-30 receptacle and then use this adaptor on your UMC:

Tesla Gear Shop NEMA 10-30

Yes, it will work. All 14-XX outlets are wired the same way (a bit oversimplified; the 14-50 requires heavier gauge wire). The UMC does not use the neutral on a 14-XX outlet, just the ground.

In fact, since an L6-30 has no neutral (locking version of the 6-30; hot/hot/ground), the neutral on the 14-XX side of the adapter is unconnected.

The only real difference between an L6-30 -> 14-50 and an L6-30 -> 14-30 is the shape of the neutral slot on the 14-XX

tga - I'm not an electrician but I can 100% understand (and agree with) what you are saying. However... I'm not sure why pgiralt said what s/he said in the second post in this thread (quoted above). It seems that is incorrect information (that you can't convert to a 14-30). If true, then I agree... going the 14-30 route is the easiest from an amp perspective but I still wonder why I cannot find any adapters out there for [L6-30 --> 14-30] but can for [L6-30 --> 14-50]. As miimura says, it could be just because it is not common but not being an electrician, that makes me nervous and I'd rather try something which is officially out in the market rather than make one myself.

You won't find the L6-30 to 14-30 adapter on the market because it's not a proper universally safe adapter. The only reason that the broad range of 14-50 adapters exist at places like EVSEadapters.com is to support Tesla owners connecting to every conceivable socket with the included Tesla 14-50 adapter. However, that is not as intrinsically safe as using a Tesla adapter coded to the proper amperage is. Here's another set of solutions for you.
1. Buy a L6-30 to 14-50 adapter from EVSEadapters.com and get a hold of a Tesla 14-30 adapter. Cut off the angled portion of the neutral blade from the Tesla adapter. Now it fits in 14-30 and 14-50 sockets. Since it's coded to allow 24 amp charging, it's perfectly safe in any socket that it will fit.
2. Order a custom L6-30 to 14-30 adpater from EVSEadapters.com and use the Tesla 14-30 adapter without modification.

but I still wonder why I cannot find any adapters out there for [L6-30 --> 14-30] but can for [L6-30 --> 14-50]. As miimura says, it could be just because it is not common but not being an electrician, that makes me nervous and I'd rather try something which is officially out in the market rather than make one myself.
Here's the reason for this. Very early on, Tesla had a lot of other types of official adapters: 6-50, 10-50, 10-30, 14-30, etc. Then they stopped offering most of them. For about 2 years or so, they only had 3 adapters available: 5-15, 5-20, and 14-50. Since 14-50 was the only high amp adapter you could get, and it came with the car anyway, it created this market at EVSEAdapters and some other sites for a "Swiss army knife" type of system of adapting everything to a 14-50 outlet, and then you could dial down the current to whatever level you needed. It was only very recently that they made the 14-30 adapter available again, and then it shortly went away again as part of the current recall.

@RamshakleZ,

There is no problem adapting an L6-30 to a 14-30 for EV charging. EVs do not use the neutral pin on the 14-30 so there is no problem not connecting it.

However other appliances that could be plugged into a 14-30 do use the neutral and must have it connected. The L6-30 does not have a neutral wire to connect to, so you cannot make a general purpose adapter.

If you make an adapter, be sure to clearly label it "EV Charging Only."

GSP