Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help!!!! LEMR VS LRM3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in CA so cold weather isn't a factor either.

I was surprised that a couple of trips from Long Beach to Paso Robles made earlier in the year (temps in the 70's at night) yielded approx. 255 kWh/mi and I just made the trip with temps in the mid 40's only got 285 kWh/mi using same routes and speeds so it seems that it does not have to be that cold to reduce range approx. 10% I know REAL cold temps are pretty hard on range from what I have read here, up to 30% I believe?

Reactions: kbM3
I was surprised that a couple of trips from Long Beach to Paso Robles made earlier in the year (temps in the 70's at night) yielded approx. 255 kWh/mi and I just made the trip with temps in the mid 40's only got 285 kWh/mi using same routes and speeds so it seems that it does not have to be that cold to reduce range approx. 10% I know REAL cold temps are pretty hard on range from what I have read here, up to 30% I believe?
When I said "cold weather isn't a factor", I meant it wasn't a factor for me to pick LR over MR. I know there will be some hit in range due to cold weather, even in CA., but it shouldn't be that bad except for maybe the few weeks it stays consistently in the low to mid 40s during winter here. And yes, in really cold temps it can be upwards of a 50% hit if you're using the heater a lot and taking short trips.

When I said "cold weather isn't a factor", I meant it wasn't a factor for me to pick LR over MR. I know there will be some hit in range due to cold weather, even in CA., but it shouldn't be that bad. And yes, in really cold temps it can be upwards of a 50% hit if you're using the heater a lot and taking short trips.
I guess that I was surprised that I lost 10% as I didn't expect that mid 40's would even factor into my range

Reactions: kbM3
Here's my tip in helping determine which range version to get. Everyone's range requirements will be different. I determined my range needs by looking at "Your Timeline" inside of Google Maps. I took local weather into consideration and determined I'd have to supercharge up to twice a month with the SR and almost never with LR. With this information in hand I decided to get the LR version.

Get the LR if you can. Its a special combination of long range, efficiency and acceleration. Even though the AWD is technically rated for the same range, I believe most have found the LR to be far more efficient and the only one actually capable of 300 mi range.

So we both live in the same area and both got Model 3s and both go to Paso often. Small world. See you around town.

I have a LR RWD. After road trip from NorCal to San Diego. In hindsight, mid-range (MR) would have been fine. Other range reducing options like AWD, non-aero covers, etc. would have worked. I probably should have bought the dual-motor AWD. I was doing 251Wh/mi on the fast lane with TACC set to ~2sec following distance pacing behind other cars the majority of time.

Ok so I am getting my first model 3 is it worth paying 3k more for a long range model 3 over the mid range? My representative found a long range rwd that’s the same exact model I am getting on my LEMR. I have been waiting to see if anyone post a review of the LEMR but really can’t find anything.

What the heck is an LEMR? A lemur?

upload_2018-11-28_8-30-56.png