Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me choose my next set of track wheels!

Which wheels would you choose?

• Flow One F2 18x8.5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fast Wheels FC04 18x8

• Enkei Tuning Rajin 19x8.5

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
I have a P3D+ that needs new shoes for the track. I plan on fitting them with RE-71R or Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires.

Still haven't decided whether 18" or 19" wheels will work best, but I'm open to both - though you'll notice I have a specific look in mind ;)

Note that with my new Racing Brake rotors, I don't have to worry about the funky lip of the PUP rotors, only the rear caliper clearance.

So with all that in mind, which ones would you recommend I go with?

Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 10.00.15 AM.png

IMO that FC04 19x9.5 with 35 offset is your best option for the track as its light and fits the 265/40/19 RE-71R. There are several overlooked wheels in this size and design that are made for the 15+ Mustang GT but fit us as well.

Does the 19x9.5 fit up front? I have RB rotors that add 3-4mm compared to the stock rotors, so I'm not sure ET35 would work with 9.5" width..

Yes, it will fit just fine. Many of us run that size.

I voted with my wallet for FC04 19x9.5+35 with 265/35/19 RE71R. Purchased FC04 from 1010Tires.com. Wheels shipped to me in Cali was under $1200. Only down side is they are completely out of stock until next Spring as these are considers as Summer wheels. Apparently, there are things call winter and snow that requires de icing agent on the road.

Thanks guys! I remember you from TC4 at Laguna Seca in late June but didn’t remember what wheels you had :)

See you on the track again soon, I hope!

Reactions: SD_Engnr
Why would anyone get 19” 9.5” with 265 if they could do 18” 9” with 265?
This is for racing, right?
Or am wrong... for autocross 18” definitely would be quicker

For the same width of tire/wheel and the right aspect ration to maintain near stock overall diameter 18” wheel/tire combination isn’t always lighter than 19” combo.

On track, 19” has less tire rollover than 18” when running the optimal air pressure for traction, typically in the low to mid 30’s hot. And 19 is more responsive and communicative than 18”.

I believe this year AutoX champ is on 19”. M3P wins SCCA Autocross National Championship

For the same width of tire/wheel and the right aspect ration to maintain near stock overall diameter 18” wheel/tire combination isn’t always lighter than 19” combo.

On track, 19” has less tire rollover than 18” when running the optimal air pressure for traction, typically in the low to mid 30’s hot. And 19 is more responsive and communicative than 18”.

I believe this year AutoX champ is on 19”. M3P wins SCCA Autocross National Championship
The Laguna Seca Model 3 record was done on 18" wheels. In the end there's probably not much difference. One advantage of 18" tires is that they're cheaper.
I do wonder if running smaller outside diameter tires might help to get faster low speed acceleration and lower center of gravity in SCCA Street class autocross.
I vote 18x10 for track wheels.

The Laguna Seca Model 3 record was done on 18" wheels. In the end there's probably not much difference. One advantage of 18" tires is that they're cheaper.
I do wonder if running smaller outside diameter tires might help to get faster low speed acceleration and lower center of gravity in SCCA Street class autocross.
I vote 18x10 for track wheels.
That record will stand until someone break it with 19”. ;)

So I decided to order the 19x9.5 FC04 wheels, and the only place that I can find willing to ship to California is Canada Wheels, and it will take some time to ship, but that's fine with me.

However, they have a limited set of tires they can mount and balance on the FC04s. Their best suggestion is the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R in 275/35R19.

Does anyone have experience with these tires, and would the 275mm width be an issue for our cars (esp. given my coilover setup)?