Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me confirm the retrofit-ability of Autopilot 2.0 on the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@FredLambert i have been meaning to ask you this question ever since the v8.0 announcement went off. In your article Tesla Autopilot 2.0: next gen Autopilot powered by more radar, new triple camera, some equipment already in production you have written

Sources with knowledge of the Autopilot program told us that the new suite will keep the current front-facing radar and add more around the car, likely one in each corner. Additionally, the system will feature a new front-facing triple camera system for which we are told Tesla started installing new housing in the Model S production this week.

Does any of that change with the recent announcement?
And could you please add who the "sources with knowledge" are?

Reactions: krazineurons
Yes you're right, several years ago we were doing physics first-principles simulation work with NVIDIA GPU hardware in the data center of a global oil company. Now with the IoT wave, there's embedded intelligence, smart devices, edge or "fog computing" --in the car. From Quanergy's presentation below, seems that NVIDIA is going in this direction for autonomous vehicles (see slides 17-19). It's mindblowing how much compute power (a pair of Tegra X1's) they now have on these small-footprint cards going into AVs.
Do you have any other links that are more detailed? This is interesting stuff. I'd like to make more sense of it, but my Google searches aren't returning anything of value. I did find this, but I don't think that classifies as valuable either. Fluffy piece.

Very much appreciate the clarity on this, as I think my view on this was "a couple of years ago" old, which is ancient in the context of this tech.

Oh NEAT---a software update for the Spouse. hmmm

I'm getting one now as she's completing her college degree. My wife had no formal education in her native Thialand. (Her brother taught her how to read and write since her parents are illiterate and she spent time working in the fields.) In 13 years she's got a better vocabulary in English than she does in Thai and frequently beats me in searching for synonyms in English. Now she's learning western philosophy and it's a trip learning from her, despite my considerable Ph.D. work in political theory.

Fifteen years ago I asked her why she wanted to learn English, "all the better to fight with you." I'm feeling more the power she now has. Fortunately, she is a good Buddhist so that strength is not to be feared, just wondered about. "I'm the most happa fellaw, in the whole Napa, er, Sacramanta valley!"

I assume this is a joke? If this information turns out to be correct, we need to keep his source confidential.
Yeah, we wouldn’t want him to reveal who his Tesla Deep Throat is, whoever’s telling him there’s additional new sensors in the bumper and a new camera and all kinds of cool new hardware for Autopilot 2.0, when in the past two weeks we haven't seen any evidence to back up it up. :cool:

Last edited:
Yeah, we wouldn’t want him to reveal who his Tesla Deep Throat is, whoever’s telling him there’s additional new sensors in the bumper and a new camera and all kinds of cool new hardware for Autopilot 2.0, when in the past two weeks we haven't seen any evidence to back up it up. :cool:

Let's say that was all true and article was correct. Would everyone consider EM to have lied and or deceived?

Do you have any other links that are more detailed? This is interesting stuff. I'd like to make more sense of it, but my Google searches aren't returning anything of value. I did find this, but I don't think that classifies as valuable either. Fluffy piece.

Very much appreciate the clarity on this, as I think my view on this was "a couple of years ago" old, which is ancient in the context of this tech.
I haven't found any other links either, and just found the Quanergy link by happenstance. I happen to work in the IoT Analytics/Cloud area, but more in the predictive maintenance/predictive asset optimization of plants and large equipment, nothing in automotive. I know some people who do, so will see what else I can find out that's not proprietary and can be shared. Maybe we can have some fun coming up with our own "how we'd do it" AP 2.0 design.:)

I'm getting one now as she's completing her college degree. My wife had no formal education in her native Thialand. (Her brother taught her how to read and write since her parents are illiterate and she spent time working in the fields.) In 13 years she's got a better vocabulary in English than she does in Thai and frequently beats me in searching for synonyms in English. Now she's learning western philosophy and it's a trip learning from her, despite my considerable Ph.D. work in political theory.

Fifteen years ago I asked her why she wanted to learn English, "all the better to fight with you." I'm feeling more the power she now has. Fortunately, she is a good Buddhist so that strength is not to be feared, just wondered about. "I'm the most happa fellaw, in the whole Napa, er, Sacramanta valley!"
But of Course----her software is brain power, a wise investment. I was more caveman - thinking softness in a female meant curves, and upgrades meant better curves. I think you got the best possible deal - energy to learn, brain to accept the learn and spunk to use it "to fight you". No wonder you are a most happa fellaw.

That's a little offensive and insinuates, even if not intentionally, that he is making up sources. I'm not as cynical as you. Things change and sources may be correct at the time the information is given but plans change. Plus, two weeks is a long time?

Last edited:
So people just completely make this stuff up (his source) or is it more likely it for scrapped for whatever reason? Because 9/5 build dates should be delivered any day now.

Some folks make stuff up, or talk about things they only heard bits and pieces of and never fully understood.

On the other hand, I think it is fairly clear that Tesla made an abrupt change of direction this summer on Autopilot.

That will certainly have affected their plans (and in my opinion probably stopped the upgrade this thread is about before any hardware reached the field,) and it is perfectly plausible that all those rumors were true at the time, even though they now will not be true in the end.

(Assuming, as I'm now 90+% certain, that new triple camera hardware doesn't show up in 9/5 production.)

I'm actually much more curious to see if the Supercharger credit rumors pan out. Right now as far as I can tell the electrek rumor is the only source material for that, even though the forum seems to have mostly accepted it as fact after all the articles quoted that rumor.

I'm not cynical but I am skeptical. I don't see any true insider leaking information since there's no gain to be made and severe penalties for disclosure. But there's always some loose lips, girlfriends to impress (with AP2.0 right?), or whatnot, so who knows?

The thing about it, is that it is kind of like predicting the rain, sooner or later you will be right, albeit substantially delayed, which arguably means wrong.

I'm actually much more curious to see if the Supercharger credit rumors pan out. Right now as far as I can tell the electrek rumor is the only source material for that, even though the forum seems to have mostly accepted it as fact after all the articles quoted that rumor.

It was in the website's source code. That seems like more than a rumour to me. Look how long it took for the 100 to come out after WK057 found it in the firmware. Tesla is working way ahead of our speculation. AP2.0 is being worked on right now, there's no doubt about that. The only doubt is when we see it on vehicles. That's anyone's guess and Tesla may not even know (except that it must be on the Model 3 - please!).

Reactions: ohmman
As @Canuck properly points out, that was discovered here before it made it up to Electrek. It was on the Tesla website in the hidden source, then it became visible briefly before being removed. I feel pretty confident that it's coming and that enabling it is going to be tied to under-the-hood changes in 8.0.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
I'll give a pass to tesla on autopilot 1.0,

That's nice of you. So you missed out on it too like me? Or is this a retroactive active pass you are giving that doesn't affect you at all but you don't want it in the future when it might affect you? It sure sounds like that to me. Well, that's big of you to give up so much with your pass.

I don't need to give any passes. I got exactly what I paid for with my no-AP "Classic" 2014 car, so no passes are needed to be given. My car is also not an investment. My investments are investments. I knew going in that depreciation is a fact of life with this class of vehicles, and especially so when you add all the technology to it. So be it, c'est la vie.

Is everyone serious? How do you compare a $100k car to a $600 or even $2000 laptop? Most people on here make that range in a day's work.

I'm very serious with the comparison but it seems you need to be brought down to earth.

"Most people on here" is where your argument falls apart. When I bought my first computer, I was just starting out, and it was a huge purchase and it decreased in value quickly and significantly. Proportionality to my net worth at that time, it was a much larger purchase than my Tesla. For most people, buying a computer is a significant purchase, not to people on here, of course, but people out in the real world, many of who have negative net worth's. Do they get retrofit computers/phones/laptops? Or do your comments only apply to those who can afford these cars? And to the others: let them eat cake?

I want this car for a number of reasons, but let's compare apples to apples.

Unless you are prepared to understand that these cars depreciate significantly, and are not an investment, and are comparable to other vehicles with the added benefit of more technology, while you may say you "want this car", you don't want all of it, since the parts you have no control over, like depreciation, come with the car, and you certainly don't want that. You want Tesla to retrofit, but that's ridiculous. I want my XT computer to run Windows 10, but it won't happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: number12