Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me confirm the retrofit-ability of Autopilot 2.0 on the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Fred for your articles, they have been of consistent quality. I am biased in that I want AP2 hardware in my Model 3, so any slippage on timing makes that dream less likely. Keep up the good work.
Given the MobileEye situation, I really doubt that they can put current gen in Model 3. So maybe AP2.0 will become the 3's FWDs, being the last piece holding back production.

Hi Model X owners,

Fred from Electrek here. I recently published an article about the upcoming hardware upgrades of Tesla's Autopilot program, often referred to as 'Autopilot 2.0': Tesla Autopilot 2.0: next gen Autopilot powered by more radar, new triple camera, some equipment already in production

One thing that I have been looking into for a while, but that I have difficulty confirming is the possible availability of a retrofit and if it becomes available, will it be a partial retrofit (like just the new front-facing camera) or a full retrofit and what models would be eligible.

From what I gathered through my reporting, Tesla aimed to release the Model X with what we now refer to as Autopilot 2.0 hardware, but the mess before the Model X launch and the mass exodus in the AP team pushed those plans and Tesla left the door opened for a retrofit.

We saw that the wiring harness for a new camera setup is already in the SUV, but I also think that wiring harnesses are already there for 4 more radar antennas around the vehicle.

Here's how Bosch installed its radar on a pre-AP Model S for its own prototype.

Before:
j7covhi.jpg

And after:
tjq9q4J.jpg

That hole they drilled above the vent for their prototype, it's my understanding that Tesla pre-drilled them in the Model X chassis.

I'd like to confirm with more data points. If you happen to have a picture of your Model X without the rear or front bumper for whatever reason, I'd appreciate if you could post it.

If you guys have any other input please don't hesitate.

Cheers,

Fred
The more important question remains. Will current Autopilot cars be adaptable to AP 2 or will owners have to sell their AP 1 cars in order to get AP 2?
That is the question, for both the x and S Models.
I can just see some owners selling their two week old AP 1 cars in order to get the new AP 2 cars.

The more important question remains. Will current Autopilot cars be adaptable to AP 2 or will owners have to sell their AP 1 cars in order to get AP 2?
I can just see some owners selling their two week old AP 1 cars in order to get the new AP 2 cars.

It is unlikely. The "good" news is AP 2 seems to be a long ways off.

I would. I expect delivery in a couple weeks... if new hardware was announced, and it was good enough I would take the hit. Some people would pay $20,000 for a new battery that gets them 15 miles and .2 seconds faster 0-60. Some would pay much less for a slightly newer car with upgraded hardware.. Tesla will bank on this $7500 of the deprecation hit will be alleviated with the credit.

To me it almost seems possible that Tesla may have to upgrade the cameras on all the cars if MobileEye continues to put pressure on the relationship and technology. Could they force Tesla to stop using the camera's? The attached article sure looked like they tried (are trying).

Tesla responds to Mobileye’s comments on Autopilot, confirms new in-house ‘Tesla Vision’ product

Retrofit aside for a minute. For those of you who think Tesla is in no hurry to introduce second generation AP hardware, I would consider reading this article I published this afternoon: Tesla responds to Mobileye’s comments on Autopilot, confirms new in-house ‘Tesla Vision’ product

Tesla certainly doesn't seem afraid to see Mobileye discontinue the EyeQ3 anymore.

It doesn't mean the entire new suite since it could still happen gradually....
Given the renewed rancor between Tesla and MobilEye (just this morning saw a blurb "Breaking Up is Hard to Do" on CNBC Squawk Box), will Tesla stop using the EyeQ3 in current production earlier than what they said back in July? If so, what camera system will tide them over until they finish Tesla Vision?

Last edited:
I'd be pretty shocked if the supplier contract between Tesla and Mobileye allows Mobileye to just pull the rug out from support and supplying hardware. Stranger things have happened, but that would be a big mistake from Tesla legal.
I don't think that's the risk.. But getting back to the point of this thread. As soon as they ended that relationship they probably started next (2.0) plan.

Whether it's retrofitablity or slowly retooling assembly line is yet to be determined. Will not be years away though

Ordered my MX today after speaking with the rep at the Tesla store who was "absolutely sure" that my X will include AP 2.0
Estimated delivery near end of October.
Extremely unlikely that a Tesla showroom employee would have accurate information about that future development. We have seen store employees make various claims over the years about future developments, almost always they were incorrect.