Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: 2017 Model S 75D (or 90D) vs 2018 Model 3 performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking too hard about this issue... and for a long time.
Wanted to ask you guys since you guys are expert.

Assuming both model has same price, Model 3 performance and Model S 75D, which one you'd like to go for?
I know this is MS forum, but I am asking this to M3 forum as well.

My background:
1. Single, but getting married soon.
2. Car I have driven so far:
  • E92 M3
  • BMW Active hybrid
  • Porsche 911S (997 generation)
  • BMW i3
  • Porsche Boxster S
3. This car will be my only car.
4. I often go to weekend blast with my Boxster S
5. I go to Auto cross as well, 1 or 2 times of track day
6. But feel like it is time to grow up and have more stable and luxury car to experience diversity on my car life
7. I live in SoCal

My thought
1. If I get the model S, I will get HW 2.5 + FSD, but will have to skip FSD for model 3P
2. If I go for 90D, I will get a similar range with M3P?
3. S has more comfort, 3 has more fun

I am pretty sure you guys have thought about this same issue and please share your wisdom and thinking process to come down to your own conclusion.

Thanks in advance!!

Personal preference.

I came from a Audi A7 which is a sportback sedan with hatchback much like Model S. In general this would be my preference, but I got a Model 3 instead.

Model S is due for a refresh at some point. I didn't want to get something that was going to redesigned drastically anytime soon. Model 3 actually felt roomer and more open than Model S. Better bang for buck. Newer tech. Yada yada.

Warranty is 1 year difference not really an issue. Esp with the battery / motor warranty.

I generally like larger cars but the Model 3 feels so much more sporty.

Reactions: Punjabi510
I am thinking too hard about this issue... and for a long time.
Wanted to ask you guys since you guys are expert.

Assuming both model has same price, Model 3 performance and Model S 75D, which one you'd like to go for?
I know this is MS forum, but I am asking this to M3 forum as well.

My background:
1. Single, but getting married soon.
2. Car I have driven so far:
  • E92 M3
  • BMW Active hybrid
  • Porsche 911S (997 generation)
  • BMW i3
  • Porsche Boxster S
3. This car will be my only car.
4. I often go to weekend blast with my Boxster S
5. I go to Auto cross as well, 1 or 2 times of track day
6. But feel like it is time to grow up and have more stable and luxury car to experience diversity on my car life
7. I live in SoCal

My thought
1. If I get the model S, I will get HW 2.5 + FSD, but will have to skip FSD for model 3P
2. If I go for 90D, I will get a similar range with M3P?
3. S has more comfort, 3 has more fun

I am pretty sure you guys have thought about this same issue and please share your wisdom and thinking process to come down to your own conclusion.

Thanks in advance!!
3 Performance. But if you can get into a used S P100D for the same money go for it.

Short answer, 3 performance.

Obvious point, but what prices are you considering for the two choices? (It may make a huge difference, including considering a new Model 3 performance or stealth, instead of used).

I actually own both Models. A Tesla Model 7 75 (2017) and a Model 3 Performance (2018). They are both awesome, and are also very different. The S is nicer on the inside, is heavier, and a more sturdy ride. It has good acceleration, but the handling lacks somewhat. The Performance 3 has crazy good acceleration, better handling, a minimalist interior and a few less luxuries. I drove the S for a year, thought I was going to test drive the Performance Model S, but was talked into driving a Performance 3. I like the S a lot, but I love the 3. You won’t go wrong with either car though. They are both great, just different.

Reactions: Punjabi510
If you value uniqueness, then consider that the M3P will look like every other 3 out there, with the exception of wheels and the badging, assuming you don't replace one or both. It's the highest selling luxury vehicle in the nation, so in densely populated cities, you won't be the most unique. With the S, you hardly see those anywhere.

Performance wise, like others have said, I can't think of any cars that offers more value for performance than the M3P...until maybe the new corvette comes out.

3 Performance no question

I will also say that the 3 has more comfort than the S. Seats are amazing and the seat heaters heat so well. All the way up to your traps down to your thighs

Model S = Ground based boat

Model 3 = Ground based rocket

Which one would you want to drive?

The M3P is a superior car in almost every way in my opinion, especially when you factor in MSRP. Bang for the buck is tremendous. I loved the P100D's acceleration, but the interior is dated, and it handles kind of floaty (it is air suspension after all). I'd go Model 3 and save myself at least a couple grand (if not 10's of thousands).

I'd take the M3P. Hands down.
^^^This.
I traded in my 75D for a 3P — I miss the air suspension, rear hatch and black headliner (ahem, Tesla) however in trade I have more range, more power, wicked acceleration, crisper handling, faster charging, better tech, a new-car warranty and a better in-town daily driver. No brainer: get the 3P. Oh—and the 90D wont get you 3P range; not when new, and definitely not with 3 years of battery degradation. 3P—end of story.

I should add that I swapped out the suspension with a MPP Sport Coilover setup so now I only miss the rear hatch (cargo) and black headliner. Given your prior automobiles, neither of these considerations would appear to be deal-breakers. Get the 3P—no regrets. Good luck.