Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: RWD or AWD? $8,000 difference!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which is? Only for moving forward. It will not help in stopping.
For driving on public roads (and arguably for amature drivers on a track) AWD is better in every way. Better: acceleration, more stable, better handeling (due to less oversteer). And yes it dosnt help breaking as in stopping distance but if you do go into a slide while breaking or get squirrelly while breaking it helps you get corrected.

AWD isn’t safer, then why do insurance companies give a discount? AWD isn’t better, then why are the majority of super cars AWD?

This thread and many others have me making the switch from LR to AWD.

I was to pick up my LR Friday, they canceled on me that day due to “service alert” and I’ve heard nothing .
Reasons posted and re-thinking the long term value went ahead and emailed them telling them keep the LR more time for them to work on it, find me AWD and hold off on the EAP for now. During the trial I will see if EAP is a must, in the meantime it will offset the AWD change.

Reactions: Mo City and coleAK
I live where AWD isn’t necessary at all. I drove RWD before I got my car, I ordered AWD hoping the little rear jerk feel I felt would go away.

When I drove off the lot I was really disappointed. The little jerk thing I felt before was still there and the extra acceleration wasn’t noticeable. Started clicking around the screen. I drove the wrong one off the lot!!! I WAS driving a RWD. Returned it and got in mine. Sooooo much better
I may never need the AWD, but I am very happy I got it

• Funny
Reactions: GaryC and Scott7
You wouldn’t be able to tell much between AWD and RWD model 3. You’re speaking about the awesomeness of Electric vehicle. Not AWD
An example:

I live in Houston TX. Lots and lots of rain here. Not one single time have I spun wheels when accelerating my AWD when it's wet. I've borderline tried to make it happen a couple of times (as a test) but no dice.

On Sunday I drove my wife's RWD ICE car for the first time in a month. I accelerated from an intersection once and spun the wheels. I hate it when that happens and unfortunately my wife was in the car with me. Wasn't trying to accelerate hard at all.

Never again. It's AWD from now on.

I had an Audi A4 and a BMW 232 wagon, both AWD. In winter in snow it is priceless. You can break through slushy parking lots at ease. It doesn't slide when accelerating in the rain around a curve.
I hear it reduces wear and tear on tires due to more even use of tires during acceleration.

I dropped the auto pilot, and got AWD. Delivery was scheduled two days later. So you get the car quicker. I figure it's more important to have good hardware and I can get the EAP later when it's on sale or for christmas. It's impossible to get a second motor... and the additional 60 miles range don't hurt either.

Reactions: coleAK
AWD costs roughly ~8,000 more.
I drove the AWD on my test drive and thought it was ridiculously FAST - although I loved that, I'd be happy with even 90% of that power :)
So, help me decide guys.... is AWD worth the extra 8 grand?
I live in SoCal - so AWD for traction purposes is no concern at all.

Assuming you are comparing the Medium Range RWD with Long Range AWD, there are other differences too.
  1. LR AWD offers 50 more miles of range than MR RWD
  2. LR AWD charges at 48 amps vs 32 amps of MR RWD
  3. Published 0-60 acceleration is better on the LR AWD.
I'm frugal. If all I'm going to use the car is for daily commute and around-town driving in SoCal where there is hardly any rain and no snow, I'd save my hard earned $8K and invest it in my kids' college fund.

Reactions: jsrawa
rob968, your avatar picture cracks me up :) Love it! Did you and family really show up in The Incredibles costume at the Tesla store? We are fans of The Incredibles in our household too. But I don't know that I could convince my wife and kids to do what you guys did. Awesome!
Haha, yes we did! We literally picked up the car on the way to a Halloween party, so why not have a little fun with it? The wife was moderately embarrassed, but the kids loved it! We got quite the reaction at the delivery center.

Reactions: golfpilot
Which is? Only for moving forward. It will not help in stopping.

Because of torque vectoring, it helps massively when you need to turn, even when you have good traction. When you’re driving at the limits of traction, such as when you might be attempting to avoid an accident, that torque vectoring to the front tires could very well mean the difference between staying out of trouble and getting in an accident. Snow is not required for you to end up driving at the limits of traction- just a requirement for sudden lateral acceleration.

There's a lot of myths going around about AWD, particularly around the longer range (it's 8-10 percent less efficient) and regen (there's no discernable difference).

There's also no reason to think that EAP is going to go on sale, it literally never has (except to return to price points that owners previously saw/goodwill type stuff).

I have to admit, as someone who actually lives *in* the mountains, it's funny to see someone explain that "yeah bro that one time you go to Tahoe, you really need AWD", especially from folks that ONLY own AWD vehicles. My Leaf and even my Colorado (in 4x2 mode) are still beasts in snow, because I use the right tires.

AWD makes much more of a safety difference than EV.

I will take a FWD/RWD vehicle with purpose-appropriate tires over an AWD with all-seasons, every day, all day.

• Love
Reactions: jsrawa and Scott7
@more863-also It's to the point of absurdity how just about everyone on any car forum will go to absurd lengths to explain real or perceived safety benefits of AWD, yet the same people will drive all year in cold climates on all season tires.

It's trivial to Google "snow tires vs awd" and see all kinds of professional tests using the same car and the tires are always more important than which wheels are driven.

Reactions: lensovet