Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me not be an idiot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again I'm feeling the call. I can "afford" this car in that I can afford the payments on it. I can't pay in cash "without selling investments" and wouldn't want to.

I totally get this. Then I actually looked at my investments and realized I had some in OIL companies, and bonds for Fracking properties... Selling those got me out of what turned out to be loser investments, got me enough cash to fund an S85, and gave me a really good feeling about where my assets were now working.

I'm still on a honeymoon with this car, and it's been two years this May.

Reactions: CTShore
I think many of us suffer the same disease. My Model 3 reservation induced more excitement for EV and the Tesla brand. I have also gone through a couple cycles of Model S near purchases.

What we settled on:
Step 1: Buy a new-old-stock 2015 Leaf. It is now our primary family car for around town and after a month we love it.
Step 2: Design and install a home solar system. (in process)
Step 3: Follow the Model 3 developments. (we have 2 reservations)
Step 4: When "released" decide if Model 3 will fit our family travel needs (Minneapolis to Chicago road trips, camping, etc.)
Step 5: Commit to a Model 3 or Model S (likely CPO/used) and don't look back.

My wife and I both realize there is a good chance we dump the Leaf after the 3 comes out and we end up with a Model 3 and a Model S for our long term EV setup.

Either way, these are good "problems" to have. Philosophically speaking I like to think that supporting Tesla is the best way to be an EVangelist and help push the tech to more broad spread adoption.

Good luck with your turmoils and decision. I am sure you will do the right thing for you. Analysis paralysis can sometimes be a good thing.

Ah, yes, I have one of those too, and this is the other reason I caved on getting the Tesla.

She wanted me to get a higher battery level, but I had to put my foot down somewhere!

...I actually ordered an 85D and she talking me into a P85D. She's the same one who actually bought me a Ferrari 308GT4 in the UK years ago. I had had emergency surgery following medical evacuation from Yemen. While I was in a coma the surgeon was twirling the Ferrari keyring while advising my spouse I might die within a few hours. I did not, but I did ask the surgeon if the keyring connected to a real Ferrari whereupon he said it was for sale. A few days later as I left the hospital the car was there for me to drive home.

OT I know. But enablers are great when they sensibly make certain they are spending money we can afford. Mine does, but she's pretty frugal in many respects.

Maybe the OP should pay attention to his wife.:D

• Love
Reactions: GSP and Superloud
So the obsession continues...

I've gone through about two different "I'm going to get an S" phases. Both times I made the correct decision to not spend four times the amount on a car that I've ever paid before. I currently have a reservation down on a Model 3.

Again I'm feeling the call. I can "afford" this car in that I can afford the payments on it. I can't pay in cash "without selling investments" and wouldn't want to.

Family income solidly in the middle of 100-200k, but wife may not be working after the summer, knocking is down to closer to 100k give or take.

I don't drive that much (~22k miles on a car I bought in August 2013). My daily roundtrip communite is < 15 miles. Sometimes I work from home on fridays as well. I also don't like "luxury" cars and would NEVER consider buying an M7 or whatever the equivalent Acura might be. I like to keep fixed expenses low.

That said....I wouldn't be surprised if my willpower fails. My wife has been on board since last time I went through this phase, and I was the one who bailed.

Here's the car I'm looking at:
60D AWD
AutoPilot
Interior Upgrade
Cold Weather Package
Blue
Pano Roof
Standard 19" wheels

Cash price 80,000

Amount available in "Tesla Fund" - 17,422
Dealer trade in value of current car - 14,730
Federal Tax Rebate - 7500
State Rebate - none, expires 6/30/2016 (will not order before then even if I decided to)

Effective Loan - Assumed 80k, financed @ 2%, 60 months = 1,400 /mo
If cash on hand and from sale of current car applied before loan - 50k @ 2%, 60 months = 876/mo
Current rate of savings to Tesla fund, 1105/month

Thoughts?
If you can save $1105 a month, you can make the payments.
You will drive the car a lot more than you think. We've put 2-3 times the miles on our S than on any previous car.
I never thought I would spend this much money on a car. It just didn't mean much to me to have a fancy expensive car. However, the S is so much more and so much better than any ICE car that it has been completely worth the money. Absolutely no regrets.

Reactions: GSP
Looks like you've got plenty of support already, but I'll throw in my $0.02...

Like you, I make enough money that I can make the payments, without stretching but I certainly don't have the means to buy it cash. Some would argue that you shouldn't carry any debt, but I think you have to live a pretty charmed life to be able to buy houses and $80K cars cash all the time.

It's true that it probably "not a smart investment" to buy a car that costs this much. But clearly you want one, and if people only bought practical cars we would all be driving a Kia Rio or something. You only live once and you're not promised tomorrow. It sounds like you can afford the payments, so I say throw that 20% down/cash only crap out the window. If you have good credit, you can make a very modest (or close to no) down payment and finance the rest painlessly (1.49% with Alliant for instance). You gonna wait 5 years for a net savings of $5000? It's so inexpensive to finance that it makes more sense to apply extra funds to other higher interest debt (e.g. mortgage payment, student loans, etc). Or keep your investments gaining 4% in a mutual fund if you've got it like that I suppose

Also, my wife was the one that pushed me to actually buy the car after talking about it for so long.

Reactions: Pdub2015
It's not an investment at all.

You need to view the car is a depreciating asset, not an investment.

I meant that buying anything of value may be thought of as an "investment" of your hard earned money. Thus, "wisdom" says that shouldn't make a significant "investment" on a depreciating asset. So I would like to further revise my car of necessity to a used Kia Rio!

• Funny
Reactions: jbcarioca
I was going to post this in response to your earlier post about buying a condo in miami to house the Model S you aren't driving much b/c you live mostly in Brazil.. but i thought i'd keep my mouth shut..

then came yr second post on the matter which I quoted here...

But enablers are great when they sensibly make certain they are spending money we can afford. Mine does, but she's pretty frugal in many respects.

you and your wife sound SO SO SO SO SO much like my parents...

they have all the money in the world. and their lifestyle often reflects this, but in so many ways they are frugal to the core, particularly my mom. it's like a game they play...

I keep thinking that an extra £22,000 is a lot more than the £40,000 I am going to spend on a similarly specified Model 3,

In UK worth thinking about current government incentives ... if, as seems reasonably likely, they tail off before M3 arrives then that's £5,000 towards the Model S pot now ... plus save £100 a month per 10,000 miles p.a. that you drive (my figures comparing Economy-7 to Petrol and an average MPG ICE) between now and M3 arriving ...

... or just fall back on "Couldn't afford not to have it" ;)

W
So the obsession continues...

I've gone through about two different "I'm going to get an S" phases. Both times I made the correct decision to not spend four times the amount on a car that I've ever paid before. I currently have a reservation down on a Model 3.

Family income solidly in the middle of 100-200k, but wife may not be working after the summer, knocking is down to closer to 100k give or take.

I don't drive that much (~22k miles on a car I bought in August 2013). My daily roundtrip communite is < 15 miles. Sometimes I work from home on fridays as well. I also don't like "luxury" cars and would NEVER consider buying an M7 or whatever the equivalent Acura might be. I like to keep fixed expenses low.

That said....I wouldn't be surprised if my willpower fails. My wife has been on board since last time I went through this phase, and I was the one who bailed.

Here's the car I'm looking at:
60D AWD
AutoPilot
Interior Upgrade
Cold Weather Package
Blue
Pano Roof
Standard 19" wheels

Cash price 80,000

Amount available in "Tesla Fund" - 17,422
Dealer trade in value of current car - 14,730
Federal Tax Rebate - 7500
State Rebate - none, expires 6/30/2016 (will not order before then even if I decided to)

Effective Loan - Assumed 80k, financed @ 2%, 60 months = 1,400 /mo
If cash on hand and from sale of current car applied before loan - 50k @ 2%, 60 months = 876/mo
Current rate of savings to Tesla fund, 1105/month

Thoughts?

Whats 2 years of your life worth?