Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me time my M3 purchase.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you define the Autosteer/TACC functionality as narrow as "stay in your lane on divided highways and adjust speed based on radar/front camera"... then you are probably right.

Well, that's literally what the current AP package is. Nothing else.

If
You say none of those things I mentioned are TACC functions. Why not? "Traffic aware cruise control". All of the things I mentioned are traffic awareness related. Expand your mind bro...

haha..but in all seriousness.. I was just asking and trying to be educated. Thanks for your commentary!

No worries- education is good... to answer the question though- because none of them impact what TACC does. The only traffic TACC by itself states awareness of are the car directly in front of you (if there is one) and to some extent one car in front of that one (if there is one and it's near enough for radar scatter to see)

Model 3 owners manual explaining TACC said:
the forward looking cameras and the radar sensor are designed to determine when there is a vehicle in front of you in the same lane. If the area in front of Model 3 is clear, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control maintains a set driving speed. When a vehicle is detected, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is designed to slow down Model 3 as needed to maintain a selected time-based distance from the vehicle in front, up to the set speed.

That's pretty much it. It slows up/speeds up (to max of your set speed) based on the car(s) directly in front of you in the same lane. It explicitly points out it's not for use on city streets and a number of other conditions (conditions where FSD will eventually be appropriate- hence HW3 is needed for them).

Moze1021, you are of course correct that we don’t really know what vehicle systems/subsystems HW3 will impact. It’s all just speculation at this point (again, probably even speculation on Tesla’s part as well).

Knightshade, you are correct re sales contract. I would need something official from Tesla (announcement, APH4 code on my vehicle, etc.) and if I order a short time after the announcement I would double check the hardware myself via visual inspection before the 7 day period elapses.

Knightshade, you are correct re sales contract. I would need something official from Tesla (announcement, APH4 code on my vehicle, etc.) and if I order a short time after the announcement I would double check the hardware myself via visual inspection before the 7 day period elapses.

Why would Tesla publicly stating cars are now shipping with HW3 be acceptable to you- but Tesla publicly stating anyone who paid for FSD will get HW3 for free if they have a 2.x car (which they've done- repeatedly, in writing) not be acceptable to you?

Knightshade can you please point to a written public communication where Tesla (not Elon Musk) has confirmed, in writing, that all FSD buyers will automatically get the HW3 upgrade? Not a speculative investor call, not a chat transcript, and not just an Elon Musk musing. That would indeed be useful.

Reactions: Th3120ck
Knightshade can you please point to a written public communication where Tesla (not Elon Musk) has confirmed, in writing, that all FSD buyers will automatically get the HW3 upgrade? Not a speculative investor call, not a chat transcript, and not just an Elon Musk musing. That would indeed be useful.

Elon Musk is the CEO of Tesla. Also its single largest shareholder/owner. (he was chairman of the board when he made some of these too) His statements regarding the companies explicit intent and promises are legally binding

Just ask the SEC.

he didn't "once muse" they might upgrade people.

he's repeatedly, consistently, and explicitly promised, in writing and on official Tesla investor calls, that anybody who pays for FSD gets HW3 for free.

It baffles me anybody won't take the word of the CEO in writing, but would take the word of some level 1 support idiot in writing.

On what planet does that make sense?

Elon Musk said:
[It’s] very important to emphasize that the only thing that needs to change between a car that’s produced today and a car that’s going to be produced in the second quarter of next year is probably the autopilot computer.

This is a simply change that takes about half an hour to upgrade the computer.

Anyone will be able to upgrade their car to Full Self-Driving capability with a simple service visit. Basically anything made in the last two years will be upgradable to Full Self-Driving.

So its very important to emphasize that there’s no need to wait until that comes out because its just a very simple plug and play change to get to Full Self-Driving. Anyone who has paid for Full Self-Driving option will get it done for free.”

Lets switch gears for a moment;

If they give me a VIN how do I verify that it is a late build?

Digit 10 on the VIN should be "K"

Does anyone have any clue on what digits 13-17 are up to now??? I.e. what digits are late April builds?