Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! Model S Won’t Charge at Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2012 S P85 has dual 10kw 6009278-00-F Gen1 chargers.

The car is unable to supercharge receiving the "No Power" error when attempting to Level3 Supercharge.

The car AC charges just fine at 48a (max output of my wall charger) from a Gen2 wall connector.

Having read through this thread... My guess is my *MASTER* charger has a failure relating to supercharging.

Question: Does the *SLAVE* charger play a role in supercharging? If no, is it reasonable to think I may be able to swap my Master and Slave chargers moving the supercharging failure to the Slave allowing me to supercharge once again and maintain up to 80amp AC Charging without buying any parts (maybe some G48 coolant)?
As long are they're the same part #'s I don't see why that wouldn't work. Swapping chargers is a messy job though. That's 4 hoses of coolant that you have to plug.

As long are they're the same part #'s I don't see why that wouldn't work. Swapping chargers is a messy job though. That's 4 hoses of coolant that you have to plug.
I went ahead and tried it...

Yes, it was messy.

Physically swapped them.

Left slave unplugged

reprogrammed master

plugged in slave, unplugged master

reprogrammed slave

Plugged master back in

redeployed

it changed the cpld firmware on each charger from 26 <-> 10 and vs vs.

I can still AC charge just fine.

DC supercharging still fails the same way.

Lots of work, no better, no worse.

I went ahead and tried it...

Yes, it was messy.

Physically swapped them.

Left slave unplugged

reprogrammed master

plugged in slave, unplugged master

reprogrammed slave

Plugged master back in

redeployed

it changed the cpld firmware on each charger from 26 <-> 10 and vs vs.

I can still AC charge just fine.

DC supercharging still fails the same way.

Lots of work, no better, no worse.
Crap dude. I'm sorry.

I'm not super familiar with the dual charger setup. I've seen pics. There should be a HV bypass relay somewhere in the system. Could be in the center silver box. Mine is physically in my single charger, under an orange cover. It just sounds like that's not switching or not detecting the L3 charger.

Found some info from earlier in this thread...Not sure how accurate it is, but it seems to track with what I was saying,
"On the old cars, the HVJB was a separate part than the primary and secondary chargers."

Crap dude. I'm sorry.

I'm not super familiar with the dual charger setup. I've seen pics. There should be a HV bypass relay somewhere in the system. Could be in the center silver box. Mine is physically in my single charger, under an orange cover. It just sounds like that's not switching or not detecting the L3 charger.

Found some info from earlier in this thread...Not sure how accurate it is, but it seems to track with what I was saying,
"On the old cars, the HVJB was a separate part than the primary and secondary chargers."
yes... Gen1 and Gen2 have HVJB in the center... master on the passenger side... and optional slave on the driver side under the rear seat.

I am looking for advice or ideas as to why I am unable to supercharge.

• There are no errors prior to plugging in the supercharger handle into the charge port.
  • L2 AC charging at home works flawlessly.
  • Pressing the button on the supercharger handle causes the charge port door to open as it should.
  • The charge port turns white as it should
  • The charge port unlocks as it should
  • The charge port turns blue for a few seconds when supercharger handle is inserted into charge port.
  • The IC and CID state the vehicle is starting to charge.
  • Then things go wrong....
  • Charge port turns red instead of green
  • IC and CID say there is no power, disconnect, retry, try another charger
  • CHG_f012_hwFastChargeDriver ( Disconnect cable and retry ) is the only error that appears in the alert history
I have:
  • Swapped Master and Slave chargers
  • Dropped from Dual Gen1 chargers to a single Gen1 charger
  • Replaced the Master charger with the Slave (reconfigured and redeployed it to be Master)
  • Replaced the Master charger with the Slave from another vehicle that is able to supercharge.
  • Replaced the HVJB (High Voltage Junction Box)
  • Replaced the Charge Port
  • Opened a case with Tesla in case it's account related and the supercharger simply is not "turning on" and supplying power due to VIN ? I don't know if this is a possibility?
I'm running out of ideas.

I am looking for advice or ideas as to why I am unable to supercharge.

• CHG_f012_hwFastChargeDriver ( Disconnect cable and retry ) is the only error that appears in the alert history
The only thing I found for that code is this: CHG_f012_hwFastChargeDriver

CHG_f012_hwFastChargeDriver
The Fast Charger (FC) contactor drive circuit has shorted to ground while the contactors are requesting to be closed.

So it sounds like you need to check the wiring to the fast charge contactor for damage. Is it possible you got another bad HVJB?

The only thing I found for that code is this: CHG_f012_hwFastChargeDriver

So it sounds like you need to check the wiring to the fast charge contactor for damage. Is it possible you got another bad HVJB?
It's possible!

I have another ebay'd HVJB still in bubble wrap I can try.

I also have some Gen2 HVJB+Charger pairs coming I can try.

And/or I can swap HVJB+charger with another S and see where the problem goes.

I've just been spinning my wheels for so long I don't know what the best next-step is.

I've just been spinning my wheels for so long I don't know what the best next-step is.
I would check to see if the control pins are shorted on either/both of the fast charge contactors in the HVJB. And if it is, check again with it disconnected. (Is the contactor the problem, or is it the wiring that is the problem.)

Details on the pins here: Tesla Model S GEN1 Rear HVJB - openinverter.org wiki

So you can check the HVJB itself, and the output from the chargers. (Though I wouldn't think that you had 3+ chargers with shorted contactor control circuits.)

Last edited:
I would check to see if the control pins are shorted on either/both of the fast charge contactors in the HVJB. And if it is, check again with it disconnected. (Is the contactor the problem, or is it the wiring that is the problem.)

Details on the pins here: Tesla Model S GEN1 Rear HVJB - openinverter.org wiki

So you can check the HVJB itself, and the output from the chargers. (Though I wouldn't think that you had 3+ chargers with shorted contactor control circuits.)

Pin#4 on J1 and J3 (Red and White 4pin contactor connectors) on the charger side are connected to ground on all three chargers (the installed one and two spares). I'm assuming pin#4 is connected to ground on all Gen1 chargers.

There is no connection to ground on the contactor connectors when disconnected.

I swapped the white and red connectors just in case it matters so I changed something.... but I believe the FC contactors connectors are interchangeable.