Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

help!! my electric bill almost doubled.. does the tesla stop charging after it is fully charged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my electric company to send a guy out to check out my meter after getting bill that doubled. he said it was from my teslas. He said once it is fully charges it is still on charging. How do I stop this?

how do i set my tesla to not keep charging once it fully charged?

Doubling the cost of your bill might be because you are not on the best rate schedule.

I don't know how it works in Honolulu but rate schedules might be all different:

1) A cheaper rate for those who use less electricity but they'll be penalized very heavily if going over the quota which might be your case as you didn't have an EV before.

2) Time of Use: You'll be heavily penalized for using during peak time.

Once the charge is completed, it will recharge again for a Vampire Drain.

Recharging for Vampire Drain is too minute comparing to your regular charge so I doubt this is the problem for your expense.

Tesla recommends plug in but to experiment in your case, you can stop the repeated recharging for vampire drain by unplugging after its charge is completed to see how the bill is.

Your car battery range and battery percentage will go down with the vampire drain until you plug in again and recharge for that vampire drain.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Yeah, no, it doesn't keep charging. If you let it sit for a while, it may keep topping off the battery or if you enable heating/cooling, it could use some energy for that. I use a JuiceBox EVSE that monitors all usage and it definitely quits drawing power once charged.

More likely is that you are charging at times when power is very expensive, so make sure you don't by using features in the car or your EVSE.

When your Tesla is has reached the preset battery capacity stop you program in the car, it stops charging. The UMC or Wall Connector is still "on", in the sense that the power is still connected to it, but there is no charging current supplied to the car. This is automatic, and you don't need to do anything to enable this behavior.

There is one small exception to this, and that is when the car is "preconditioning", which means it's preheating the battery on cold days before you leave, or preheating the car interior itself, because you've turned on the climate control. But the current draw under these circumstances is far less than actual battery charging.

I'm curious, how much electricity does the doubled bill represent (in kWh, or kilowatt hours)? And how many miles do you drive in the billing period?

Reactions: AlexVCo
I got my electric company to send a guy out to check out my meter after getting bill that doubled. he said it was from my teslas. He said once it is fully charges it is still on charging. How do I stop this?

File under "Electric company guy doesnt know what he's talking about". Once its charged, it stops, apart from a small trickle to keep electrical stuff going. What else could it do? Keep charging the batteries until they burst?

If your bill has doubled, was it very low to start with? How many miles do you drive? What kind of rate deal are you using with your power supplier?

Your car will tell you how much energy it uses per mile, and how many miles you have driven (allow perhaps 10% overage for inefficiencies in charging etc). That should tally pretty closely to the extra energy amount you are being billed.

Given the questions you’re asking, I’m not sure you are aware of some basics:

1) The car only charges to the level you set – and you should not leave it set to charge to 100% unnecessarily since sitting at 100% for long periods will add to long term battery degradation. As the car suggests on screen, set it to 90% or less for normal daily usage.
2) Once the car reaches the level you set it to charge to, it will of course stop charging. As others have pointed out, it will only add additional charge as needed occasionally after that as very small amounts of charge are consumed while the vehicle remains parked, (There are a few options which can be disabled that use a little more energy while the car is parked, like sentry mode or summon ready or climate control, etc.)
3) If you don’t want it to charge at all, just unplug it. It will very slowly consume some energy while left unused though. The “vampire drain” rate depends on how many of those few options I mentioned are enabled. This is much like many devices you have around the house that can consume a small amount of energy while plugged in but unused.
4) The most likely reason for “doubling your energy bill” is that you’re probably on a time-of-use electricity plan where you pay more for electricity when consumed at times of peak usage by everyone else, like in the early evenings. If you’re on a time-of-use electric billing plan, the difference in cost between peak and non peak times can easily be like 45 cents or more versus 8 cents or less. You should optimize this by setting your car up to automatically charge only after a specific time, when electricity is cheapest – typically in the middle of the night, like after midnight – rather than whenever you plug in, like in the late afternoon / early evening.
5) Lastly, if you’re curious as to how much energy you’re using to drive and recharge your car, you can look to your car’s info screens to tell you the amount of kWh’s consumed and compare that to the amount on your electric bill.

thanks everyone I will look into every ones advice and also look at it from how much more kilowatts am I using. HECO has me not plugging in my tesla tonight so they can compare a night with it and a night without it plugged in. Unfortunately having 3 jobs and working 7 days a week only allows me to charge at night which is probably the most expensive time to be charging but I ate not choice so I may have to live with this higher electric bill.
to answer someones question I went from pay the normal service charge only of $26 a month to $140 lat month.

Thanks again to everyone for you post and help... I still love my tesla and wouldn't trade it for any other car.. gas or electric..
you guys and gals are the best!

Mahalo from Hawaii....

No wonder you have a low electric bill. With 3 jobs, 7 days a week...you are never home.

If your increase in electricity is less than your previous cost of gasoline, you are coming out ahead.

Both Gasoline and Electricity are very expensive in Hawaii.

Some of the smaller, less developed islands are looking at a combination of wind/solar/batteries from Tesla to get them reliable electricity, while getting rid of the polluting and expensive to run diesel generators. They charge the batteries during the sunny/windy days and run off them all night. Super eco.

thanks everyone I will look into every ones advice and also look at it from how much more kilowatts am I using. HECO has me not plugging in my tesla tonight so they can compare a night with it and a night without it plugged in. Unfortunately having 3 jobs and working 7 days a week only allows me to charge at night which is probably the most expensive time to be charging but I ate not choice so I may have to live with this higher electric bill.
to answer someones question I went from pay the normal service charge only of $26 a month to $140 lat month.

Thanks again to everyone for you post and help... I still love my tesla and wouldn't trade it for any other car.. gas or electric..

Mahalo from Hawaii....
Glad you are loving it, me too ;)
Despite the cost going up I bet it is still much cheaper per mile than gas. Enjoy this adjustment period when you become curious to learn about all this new tech stuff like w/hr mile, kWh, regen, TOU, solar, etc. it's all part of the journey!

Mahalo from Hawaii....

Aloha,

You might want to consider a time of use plan. The rates would be:
  • 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.: 12.6 cents/kWh
  • 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.: 40.9 cents/kWh
  • 10 p.m. to 9 a.m.: 31.9 cents/kWh

• Informative
No, the car won't keep charging once fully charged. However if the battery charge subsequently decreases then it will start charging again. You should make sure that there's nothing causing excessive battery drain that will cause the car to continually charge. The two most common culprits are standby mode and sentry. For me they were each causing about 20 miles/day in vampire drain. That results in a lot of excessive charging.

It takes a lot of energy to propel your car forward. It’s not just energy like a light bulb. I have solar roof and my electric bill goes high as well and I’m on a tier plan. But I save tons of cash because of the cost of fuel in California is expensive.

as far as what the electrician said he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. I have a meter on my car and once the tesla is charged it consumes negligible amount of electricity. Less than kwh. It’s nothing.

Your bill is high because the rates in your place is high. I’m in California. I pay 0.13 off peak. 4-9pm it’s 0.44 kwh. I charge overnight. Before my yearly bill with solar was about $300 for 12 months. Right now my bill is $700 in 8 months. Before my model 3 I paid $4000 in gasoline plus electricity.