Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help, One Electrician Wanted To Charge $1500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This home charging fiasco is indeed the weakest link in my Tesla purchase experience.

My "salesman" also said installation of a home charging system was a few hundred dollars and nothing to bother about.

One Tesla site "recommended" electrician quoted $4,000. I needed a 50 amp run around/through 75 linear feet of my house from breaker box on opposite side of house. HOA would not allow parking the Tesla back end next to box. Conduit-housed 50 amp wiring runs $10-$15 per linear foot in SoCal. The math pushes the cost well over $1K.

One week and several grey hairs later, I got a licensed electrician to install a 14-50 outlet at the box for $350, and I purchased 30 LF of UL approved RV charging "extension chord" for $110 from Amazon. A temporary fix until I figure out a permanent alternative.

No verbal support from Tesla; no recognition that installation of home charging is a very significant part of Tesla ownership.

Anyway, enough about me, this recommended electrician is best ignored. Seek out quotes from licensed electricians. Know that the sales counsel given that home charging is a no-brainer was misleading at best.

In my house, the breaker box is far from the garage, like opposite ends of the house. I’m in a suburb of Atlanta and electrician from Tesla website said
1. The permit is 378$
2. If I don’t use Tesla electrician, warranty on my new model 3 that I’m picking up Monday is void
3. If I don’t get permit, Tesla warranty void
4. It costs so much because the distance of the wires from breaker box to garage wall is 50-75 ft depending where I’m putting the plug.

I can’t believe a 11$ plug on Amazon is going to cost 1500 to install. Dude at Tesla Buckhead said 250-400 for install.

I can’t install myself I have no skills or knowledge.

What should I do? Find non Tesla electrician? Skip the $378 permit? Is warranty really voided. I can’t get Tesla in the phone but via email one employee said it won’t void warranty unless the electrician does something wrong that hurts the car.

Thanks for any advice I am in panic mode.

For $1500 you should be able to get your lawyer to install it, and throw in the permit for free!

Outstanding video, including the background piano music.

I also did my own install of a HPWC back in May 2018.

FWIW: after a year of service, I rechecked the tightness of the connections at the 60 amp CB and at the HPWC.

I was unable to tighten (any more) the connections inside the HPWC.

I was able to tighten (about 10 degrees of arc) the connections at the CB.

Cheers.
Thanks for the heads up. I will check it in 3 months.

Cheers!

Reactions: navguy12
I live in Portland Oregon, my electric panel is on the other side of the house and down 2 fights of stairs from the garage. My first quote was $2400 to run conduit up into my attic, across the house and down into the garage where they would wire in a charging station It's the amount of labor and distance that had to be covered, that cost the most. Don't believe any bogus claim about voiding your warranty.

In my house, the breaker box is far from the garage, like opposite ends of the house. I’m in a suburb of Atlanta and electrician from Tesla website said
1. The permit is 378$
2. If I don’t use Tesla electrician, warranty on my new model 3 that I’m picking up Monday is void
4. It costs so much because the distance of the wires from breaker box to garage wall is 50-75 ft depending where I’m putting the plug.

I can’t believe a 11$ plug on Amazon is going to cost 1500 to install. Dude at Tesla Buckhead said 250-400 for install.

What should I do? Find non Tesla electrician? Skip the $378 permit? Is warranty really voided. I can’t get Tesla in the phone but via email one employee said it won’t void warranty unless the electrician does something wrong that hurts the car.

to the OP, first and most importantly, drop this electrician like a hot potato. He's told you multiple lies, he's taking advantage of your situation, he's a total scumbag.

I bought one of the first Nissan leafs, and the outfit that Nissan recommended did the same thing, quoted 3 times the going rate just because they were the "Official Nissan Electricians". Fortunately, I've done some electrical work my self and recognized the scam.

Skip the official Tesla list, and ask your friends and co-workers for references to a local licensed electrician. Get at least 3 quotes.
Don't panic, use the 120V adapter or superchargers until you have time to get it done right, and at a reasonable price. Each home situation is different, so multiple quotes tells you what's reasonable.

No matter what your situation, this is basic residential wiring that can be competently installed by any licensed electrician who isn't an idiot. Don't get stressed, it's not rocket science! Just count on references from people you trust who are satisfied customers. Just like you would do with any contractor working in your home.

As others have stated, you can call your local building dept to find out the price of the permit, if required. Anyone who gives you a different number, cross them off the list. An honest electrician will give you a copy of the permit, showing the fee he paid.

And enjoy your Tesla. It's a joy to drive!

For $1500 you should be able to get your lawyer to install it, and throw in the permit for free!
What's a Tesla electrician? Someone certified by Tesla to install the Tesla home charger? Is this Georgia law?

I got mine installed-- here in Florida-- by a licensed electrician and inspected by the city because- like you - I had to run the wires from the other side of the house and upgrade to whole system coming into the house because it was old school juice for a 1979 home. A necessary investment if you are going EV. Some of it could even be a tax write off!

More copper line than you need is probably normal. The last thing you want to do is have to splice it. And what no one has mentioned is you probably need to order the 14-50 adapter before you order the car in order to get it in time. You got good advice. Don't use an extension cord. Depending on the requirement where you live, you may or may not need a permit. And that copper is expensive. If you have not already ordered the adapter, I would seriously consider going with the 6-30 or whatever it is that was mentioned. With that long of a run, it should easily save you $200. Get a few quotes. I got quotes ranging for 1500 to 2500 for the exact same scope of work. I used homeadvisor to find my electrician. I have generally been very happy with people who get many good reviews on their website.

I used an electrician who is a neighbor of my BIL. He has also done side work installing solar panels and even installed his own array as well as installed numerous home car chargers. This was no different. Cable run was short and the first thing he did was grab the manual. All in he charged $250 so I gave him cash.

It would be a good idea to just ask around if anyone you know knows of any licensed electricians. But to say your warranty would be void is simply a scare tactic.

Ask the next electrician to think outside the box. For example, if you are lucky you MAY be able to use existing wires that are now at 120 volts to create a 240 Volt 20 amp circuit. You would lose all the other 120 volt outlets that are on the circuit, but if you have more than one 120 volt circuit to the garage this might be an option. You would only be able to charge at 16 amps (1/2 the 32 amp rate) but this is likely good enough. (note that tesla charging does not require a neutral, just 2 hots and a ground).
Another out of the box solution: Is the range outlet or dryer outlet very much nearer to the garage than the breaker box? A clever electrician may be able to use the wires already in place to create a subpanel.
Or, if you are REALLY lucky the dryer is already located in the garage! In this case you'd just need to buy a 30 amp to NEMA 14-50 adaptor from the Tesla website and plug it into the existing dryer outlet! sure, you couldn't dry your clothes and charge at the same time but hey. And you'd be limited to 24 amps. But that's what I have for charging and it works great, and 24 amps is plenty for an overnight charge, even when nearly depleted.
So just sayin', you can charge on any 240 circuit, it doesn't necessarily have to be a 50 amp outlet. You'd just need an adapter.
Also, I'm sure bunches of people will be tempted to dress me down about how flawed each of these ideas is, both in execution, functionality, and potential code violations. Yes, I already know, and I'm not advocating anything wrong, I just want to point out that there are options besides the standard 'run a new line to a 14-50', and a licensed electrician would be able to tell you if any of these options was possible and still be within code.

Reactions: navguy12
and NEVER run electricity using the white wire as a HOT. That is illegal in every code.
You are absolutely wrong here. You have an idea you have heard that relates to other situations, but you are misapplying it here.

What you are thinking of is if it is either a 120V circuit (Hot and Neutral) or a dual voltage circuit (Hot1, Hot2, and Neutral). Then, yes, the requirement is that the white must be used for the Neutral. But that does not apply in 240V only circuits because there is no Neutral line being used at all, so you have to make use of the wire colors available. If it is 240V only, then the cable you use only needs two thick conductors and the smaller ground. Most of the time, that kind of two conductor cable just has black and white wires. NEC specifically addresses this, and it says that you are allowed to use the white wire for the other Hot line, but it does require that you mark it as a hot wire at both ends either with electrical tape or black marker.

This home charging fiasco is indeed the weakest link in my Tesla purchase experience.

My "salesman" also said installation of a home charging system was a few hundred dollars and nothing to bother about.

Know that the sales counsel given that home charging is a no-brainer was misleading at best.
:rolleyes: Oh, come on. It's generalized--not misleading. The "few hundred" dollars is accurate for standard cases, assuming that the panel is relatively close, like in the garage, as a lot of houses do. Then yes, a little bit of wire and mounting an outlet or wall connector should be in that neighborhood of a few hundred dollars for those standard required steps. But if you have a specific house situations that starts adding on levels of distance and difficulty, well then, that costs more, naturally.

You wouldn't expect a restaurant in some other city to deliver to you 150 miles away for the same delivery charge as they do locally, right? That sounds exactly like what you're complaining about.

Wrong wire used, and NEVER run electricity using the white wire as a HOT. That is illegal in every code.

As long as its marked at both ends its totally complaint to use white conductor for hot. And honestly in practice most people don't tape or mark it... Green can never under any circumstances be used for anything other than grounding.

Last edited:
1. The permit is 378$

I just had a 240v line ran from the panel 50' to the garage. They installed a sub panel with a 40 amp breaker. All for $875.00

1. The permit is 378$

Stay away for sure, Mine is at opposite end of house in basement so i purchased the wire from Lowes about $90 and the plug about $12 then ran the wire from the box across the basement ceiling to the garage and then had the electrician hook it into the box with the prpopel cirrcuit breaker and hool up the plug in the garage . He was there for one hour and charged me $90............good luck

You are absolutely wrong here. You have an idea you have heard that relates to other situations, but you are misapplying it here.

What you are thinking of is if it is either a 120V circuit (Hot and Neutral) or a dual voltage circuit (Hot1, Hot2, and Neutral). Then, yes, the requirement is that the white must be used for the Neutral. But that does not apply in 240V only circuits because there is no Neutral line being used at all, so you have to make use of the wire colors available. If it is 240V only, then the cable you use only needs two thick conductors and the smaller ground. Most of the time, that kind of two conductor cable just has black and white wires. NEC specifically addresses this, and it says that you are allowed to use the white wire for the other Hot line, but it does require that you mark it as a hot wire at both ends either with electrical tape or black marker.

Yes, that is correct, typically the white wire if used must be taped in Red or Black tape.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
1. The permit is 378$

my tesla salesperson told me to use any electrician, as did the tesla website. My plug went directly from the box just a few inches. cost me $300 (no permit) and done in one hour. My banker plugged it into his dryer plug (completely ok also) so it cost him nothing. but my dryer is not in garage. I had them install with 60 amp, car only needs 32 amp max. Dryers are 30 amp. I got 3 quotes first.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and TexasEV
Thank you to the real electricians in this thread! I've worked for the largest const. Co. In the US and the expression "a little knowledge can be dangerous" applies extremely here. Do not under any circumstance use extension cords. Even repurposed 240v. A 14-50 NEMA still will only provide 20/ 30 amps max. A 240v. / 60 amp service is what you want mounted to the outside of the garage. If you get another Tesla or just move the one inside, it's really easy to turn the fixture inside or chain them together for 2 connectors. 1 inside and one outside and the 2 Tesla's communicate to share the power at the same time.
To OP- 3 bids from licenced contractor. Lose the original loser and report him to BBB.
Take your time.
Good luck with your project and enjoy the Tesla!!!

To @Powder florida and @Kleenerth3 — NO NO NO
You must NOT use a 60A breaker with a NEMA 14-50 outlet.
And the statement that it will provide 20/30 A max is more evidence you have no idea what you’re talking about. The Gen 1 UMC will draw 40A and the Gen 2 UMC will draw 32A when plugged into a 14-50 outlet.

Doesn’t anyone RTFM? Tesla’s home charging website
Home Charging Installation
has everything you need to know, including links to spec sheeets for installation every type of outlet.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H