Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Paint Damage to Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I wanted to know what options I have to try to alleviate this scratch (see pics) on my Model S (85D) in black. I have tried Mother's Rubbing Compound but it didn't seem to do anything. Is touch-up paint from the tesla shop a good option or is there something better on the market?

Attachments

• IMG_4031.JPG
    IMG_4031.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_4032.JPG
    IMG_4032.JPG
    225.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4033.JPG
    IMG_4033.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4034.JPG
    IMG_4034.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_4035.JPG
    IMG_4035.JPG
    313.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4038.JPG
    IMG_4038.JPG
    341.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_4039.JPG
    IMG_4039.JPG
    337 KB · Views: 137
This is something I would take to a professional body shop. They have experience and resources that most individuals do not. If this can be buffed out, it seems well worth the reasonable $$$ they would likely charge.
Thanks! The tesla-approved body shop near me is quite expensive. I was hoping for a less expensive option.

You can try the touch up paint. You are probably going to use up the entire bottle, but they are pretty inexpensive.
However, I don't think you'll like the result of the touch up paint. This is a reason why a lot of folks on the board get protective film for the front.. Replacing the film is around $1000 while getting it fixed probably costs several times that.

You can try the touch up paint. You are probably going to use up the entire bottle, but they are pretty inexpensive.
However, I don't think you'll like the result of the touch up paint. This is a reason why a lot of folks on the board get protective film for the front.. Replacing the film is around $1000 while getting it fixed probably costs several times that.
Thanks for the suggestion. In hindsight i should have used a film.

Hi. I wanted to know what options I have to try to alleviate this scratch (see pics) on my Model S (85D) in black. I have tried Mother's Rubbing Compound but it didn't seem to do anything. Is touch-up paint from the tesla shop a good option or is there something better on the market?
Similar issue (Less Than 2wks Old And Scratched. What can I do?), so I ordered touch up paint from Tesla. Looked a bit better to an untrained eye. Ended up taking it to the detail department at Tesla where I picked up my car about a week later and the detailer buffed most of it out. He was able to because the paint hadn't really bonded too well yet. Looks much better.

But now I have a deeper scratch on the driver door and the detailer recommended I go to my local body guy, but make sure he uses ddp (?) paint. Not really sure what that is. I haven't got a quote for that yet as I don't think the scratch is too noticeable.

Good luck!

Similar issue (Less Than 2wks Old And Scratched. What can I do?), so I ordered touch up paint from Tesla. Looked a bit better to an untrained eye. Ended up taking it to the detail department at Tesla where I picked up my car about a week later and the detailer buffed most of it out. He was able to because the paint hadn't really bonded too well yet. Looks much better.

But now I have a deeper scratch on the driver door and the detailer recommended I go to my local body guy, but make sure he uses ddp (?) paint. Not really sure what that is. I haven't got a quote for that yet as I don't think the scratch is too noticeable.

Good luck!
Thanks. I will try the touch up paint and see how it looks. If not better, I will go to body shop. Is that a good idea?