TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Help! Paint Damage to Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by nikj, Sep 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. nikj

nikj Member

Hi. I wanted to know what options I have to try to alleviate this scratch (see pics) on my Model S (85D) in black. I have tried Mother's Rubbing Compound but it didn't seem to do anything. Is touch-up paint from the tesla shop a good option or is there something better on the market?

Attached Files:

2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

This is something I would take to a professional body shop. They have experience and resources that most individuals do not. If this can be buffed out, it seems well worth the reasonable $$$ they would likely charge.

• Like x 1
  3. nikj

nikj Member

Thanks! The tesla-approved body shop near me is quite expensive. I was hoping for a less expensive option.

4. jzhan

jzhan Member

You can try the touch up paint. You are probably going to use up the entire bottle, but they are pretty inexpensive.
    However, I don't think you'll like the result of the touch up paint. This is a reason why a lot of folks on the board get protective film for the front.. Replacing the film is around $1000 while getting it fixed probably costs several times that.

5. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Ugh! How did this happen? :(

6. nikj

nikj Member

Thanks for the suggestion. In hindsight i should have used a film.

7. nikj

nikj Member

I don't know for sure but I hypothesize the car was rubbing against a wooden poll in a parking lot I frequently visit.

8. theslimshadyist

Man, sorry to see that this happened to your beauty.

9. nikj

nikj Member

Thanks

10. Swissmoneychf

Swissmoneychf Member

Mmmh, why don't you use your assurance ? That's exactly why you pay for.

11. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

For something like this, where there's no structural damage, I wouldn't feel compelled to use a Tesla approved body shop. Instead, I'd just find a highly regarded shop that I could trust, rather than pay the Tesla body shop premium.

• Like x 1
  12. nikj

nikj Member

High Deductible

13. nikj

nikj Member

I will get a quote from a local body shop. Thanks.

14. theslimshadyist

I'm thinking it will be less than $1K but please let us know what they ended up quoting you.

15. Airhawker

Airhawker Member

Similar issue (Less Than 2wks Old And Scratched. What can I do?), so I ordered touch up paint from Tesla. Looked a bit better to an untrained eye. Ended up taking it to the detail department at Tesla where I picked up my car about a week later and the detailer buffed most of it out. He was able to because the paint hadn't really bonded too well yet. Looks much better.

But now I have a deeper scratch on the driver door and the detailer recommended I go to my local body guy, but make sure he uses ddp (?) paint. Not really sure what that is. I haven't got a quote for that yet as I don't think the scratch is too noticeable.

Good luck!

16. nikj

nikj Member

Thanks. I will try the touch up paint and see how it looks. If not better, I will go to body shop. Is that a good idea?

17. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Ouch, that's a bummer!! Did you notice that your trim inside the wheel well looks damaged as well? Check with anyone who's borrowed that beauty recently.......looks worse than a pole rubbing.

18. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

Take it out a good local details before you take it to a body shop. It might be able to be reduced in appearance enough that you would notice it.

19. nikj

nikj Member

Thanks. I will look

20. nikj

nikj Member

Wheel well needs to be popped in. No major damage

• Like x 1