Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Helpful info for those considering trading in Tesla Model 3 for a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're thinking "Texas" you better move fast. When the oil royalties ("franchise tax") start running low sugar is going to get very ugly here. Like Southern Oregon ugly, where they lived for decades off of the logging taxes which are now drying up.

There is a state sales tax is about equivalent to CA (base 6%, the local top-off on that pretty much everywhere is +2.25%). Property tax isn't quite as high (generally %2 and change up to nearly 5% of property value). There's no State Income Tax but that portion of revenue is covered by the franchise tax revenue, so it's a-coming or(/and) services/support such that they are now are going to go in the toilet.
Is that property tax PER YEAR? I can't afford $20,000 to $50,000 PER YEAR property tax here in California, much less in Texas where the income in my field of work is about 7% of what it is here in California!

Is that property tax PER YEAR? I can't afford $20,000 to $50,000 PER YEAR property tax here in California, much less in Texas where the income in my field of work is about 7% of what it is here in California!
Keep in mind property values are a lot lower here, because of geography. Rather than sandwiched between rocks & ocean there is a lot of flat, open land. If you have a 1mil home it’s massive AND in a very select, pricy area or has acres of land.

We don’t have anything like Silicon Valley real estate, or such. Also it isn’t that hard to keep assessment somewhat below market. Still it does make it hard on retired people to keep their homes if their house values are rising.

Last edited:
I'm looking into trading in an S for a Performance 3 so this thread is very useful but also sad. I guess I'll need to do math and figure out if the sales tax savings will be worth whatever lowball offer I'll get for my S from Tesla versus from Vroom who offered me pretty much exactly the BB value.

Who do I call at Tesla if I want to inquire about trade-in value on my car before putting in my 3 order?

I never said the Bolt was a bad car. It’s a decent car if I accept the limitations of 115 miles one way.

If the opportunity cost of having a Bolt was not having a Model 3, I’m getting rid of the Bolt.

If it was 10K more, that’s like 200 bucks per month financed over 4 years to drive a better car, at least in my crazy opinion. ;)
115 miles one way? the bolt is rated for 240 miles.

Or are you saying 230 mile round trip without charging?