Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Helpful info for those considering trading in Tesla Model 3 for a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure personally. I bought my M3 for cash, and now selling my old car (rather than trade in). In the hope that I get more $$$ selling privately.
yes I'm currently trying to sell my truck towards the form payment but it's hard because i just put 3k into it and it had so many extra truck kinda if things installed... not a single bite yet. then i have to sell my volt after i get the model 3 too. might be worth looking into what they would give my for the volt if it comes off the taxable amount for the model 3.

as a matter of fact I'm replacing my truck battery as i write this...

Are you guys saying that if you trade your car into Tesla you save on sales tax because it comes off the cost of the vehicle? I'm in CA but i have never heard of such a thing so maybe I don't understand?

Yes. In most, but not all, states the customer does not pay sales tax on the portion that is covered by the trade-in value.

However good chance you haven't heard about this because California is one of the states where it is NOT the case. Helpful info for those considering trading in Tesla Model 3 for a Tesla

Yes. In most, but not all, states the customer does not pay sales tax on the portion that is covered by the trade-in value.

However good chance you haven't heard about this because California is one of the states where it is NOT the case. Helpful info for those considering trading in Tesla Model 3 for a Tesla
Damn I never even knew that was a thing, but I can't say I'm surprised. I wonder if that affects trade in values within the state. We get taxed to death here. One day i will hope to escape this place.

Well at least the tax incentive will cover the tax and double tax and trade in tax and insaine cost of power. it's not going to go as far as i thought though.

I get this time goes along with the buyer parking tax every time a car is sold even if private party. I don't think that is a rule in all States either?

I wonder if that affects trade in values within the state.

In effect what it means is that the dealerships have more leverage to lowball on you, so if anything it puts downward pressure on trade-in values.

We get taxed to death here. One day i will hope to escape this place.

If you're thinking "Texas" you better move fast. When the oil royalties ("franchise tax") start running low sugar is going to get very ugly here. Like Southern Oregon ugly, where they lived for decades off of the logging taxes which are now drying up.

There is a state sales tax is about equivalent to CA (base 6%, the local top-off on that pretty much everywhere is +2.25%). Property tax isn't quite as high (generally %2 and change up to nearly 5% of property value). There's no State Income Tax but that portion of revenue is covered by the franchise tax revenue, so it's a-coming or(/and) services/support such that they are now are going to go in the toilet.

If tchaimd had gotten a match from Tesla it'd be great (thought not quite as good as you suggest). They'd save $2820 in sales tax on the Performance trading that way (recouping from the original cost), which you don't get if you sell it separately to a 3rd party.

But if he keeps the car for a year and sells it he will lose a lot more than that in depreciation. And by virtue of the fact that he'll likely be driving his Performance then the car will be sitting around losing value, taking up room and sucking kWh, instead of getting any real use out of it.

• Disagree
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Just had a similar experience. I’m interested in trading my 2013 MS for a new one. My car has lower than average miles and is in very near flawless condition. Tesla’s trade offer was $5,200 below Kelly trade value. That’s only 86% of the Kelly listed value.

And just to add insult I was told that if I wanted to trade my Chevy Bolt instead they would give me full Kelly trade value for it! “So my Bolt holds its value better than a Tesla?” I asked. Tesla rep just looked down and mumbled something.

Interesting that Tesla devalues its own cars. What does that say? IMHO, if they had confidence in the quality of the build they'd offer more for their own cars.

Just had a similar experience. I’m interested in trading my 2013 MS for a new one. My car has lower than average miles and is in very near flawless condition. Tesla’s trade offer was $5,200 below Kelly trade value. That’s only 86% of the Kelly listed value.

And just to add insult I was told that if I wanted to trade my Chevy Bolt instead they would give me full Kelly trade value for it! “So my Bolt holds its value better than a Tesla?” I asked. Tesla rep just looked down and mumbled something.
Just checked KBB on my 2018 Bolt Premier... KBB value is more than what I paid for the car...wow.

Last edited:
Reactions: ℬête Noire

Interesting that Tesla devalues its own cars. What does that say? IMHO, if they had confidence in the quality of the build they'd offer more for their own cars.

The rep knows nothing. They are not professional economists. They punch numbers in a computer and read it back to you.

Tesla doesn't resale Bolts. It goes to someone else who does.

As far as Tesla lowballing their own trade ins, they do it because they can capture a convenience premium. Most people don't work hard and just throw their trade in to whoever their new car purchase is coming from.

How much Tesla is willing to pay has nothing to do with build quality, that is reading into something that isn't there.

Just checked KBB on my 2017/2018 Bolt Premier... KBB value is more than what I paid for the car...wow.

I sure would be curious on the market distortion factors that allowed that kind of setup. Perhaps we'd see something similar on i3s considering BMW was selling them for 50% of MSRP.

Anycase, I wouldn't buy a Bolt in the first place to dump it. But if I did, I would have done it yesterday if my depreciating losses were low.

But if he keeps the car for a year and sells it he will lose a lot more than that in depreciation. And by virtue of the fact that he'll likely be driving his Performance then the car will be sitting around losing value, taking up room and sucking kWh, instead of getting any real use out of it.
You're really missing the conversation here. It's not about "should I sell the LR?", it's about Tesla low-balling on a Tesla trade-in when they don't do that on other makes of vehicles.

Anycase, I wouldn't buy a Bolt in the first place to dump it. But if I did, I would have done it yesterday if my depreciating losses were low.

To buy what? That's why the prices are so firm (subtract the Fed Tax Credit), because factoring in the sales tax it's pretty much a push. I potentially could flip mine to get rid of the miles so far, have room for two $7500 Fed Credits, but then pay sales tax (that isn't a tax deduction anymore) and I'm somewhere +/- break even on $ for my hassle.

To what, drop an extra $10K+ on a Model 3? When the SR rolls around the math changes some, but if the Bolt fit your situation enough to buy it to start with (to wit, you're using it locally rather than for road trips) it's actually a good car.

I never said the Bolt was a bad car. It’s a decent car if I accept the limitations of 115 miles one way.

If the opportunity cost of having a Bolt was not having a Model 3, I’m getting rid of the Bolt.

If it was 10K more, that’s like 200 bucks per month financed over 4 years to drive a better car, at least in my crazy opinion. ;)

$200/month is the car payment for most people, so it really depends on the driver ;)
Especially when it’s the 2nd vehicle. For me a 2nd LR is overkill & more value to depreciate. Plus the Bolt is my “SUV” format vehicle....for as much as I need such.

We’ll see what happens after a couple months w/the D. If the wife covets it enough & Bolt is still holding value we may trade for a SR. It’ll cost about $4K & some sales tax, because of Tax Credit winding down. We’ll decide when we get there.

I’m not that worried about Bolt depreciation that much. The Fed Tax Credit winding down, even just on Tesla first, is going to be working for me.

EDIT: Something that may be happening as the Tax Credit gets to this price-point. More customers for these vehicles are going to have difficulty using the full $7500 anyway, so that can lessen it's impact on the resale market. As well you do have to carry that $7500 for up to 15 months (Jan until tax rebate Mar of next year). When this is 20% of purchase price that can matter more than just the interest.

Last edited: