Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HEPA/Biodefense in Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can you just get a roll of hepa filter, cut a piece and slap it on to your cabin air filter?
im just talking out of my ass as ive never done this, but i dont see why not? paper shouldnt be too thick to squeeze in where ever it needs to go.
The problem is, like using a 'too good' filter for your home system, it will restrict the air flow. That's why the one for the S and X is two feet wide or something (I forget the dimensions, they are in the post about adding the HEPA to the S yourself). You need the space to get the volume. I don't know what room you have in a system not made for this sort of thing, but it's usually only six to ten inches.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll find that the opening is the right size already.

edit: that's what she said, amirite?
Lol.... the S and X always had this for an option. The 3 was/is supposed to be the 'not premium' car. The 'opening' may be absent on purpose, specifically. Or not. Someone will have to do an 'iFixit' style teardown....

Lol.... the S and X always had this for an option. The 3 was/is supposed to be the 'not premium' car. The 'opening' may be absent on purpose, specifically. Or not. Someone will have to do an 'iFixit' style teardown....

They most certainly did not have the HEPA filter as an option on the S when I ordered it. It was introduced years after the Model S went into production.

They most certainly did not have the HEPA filter as an option on the S when I ordered it. It was introduced years after the Model S went into production.
I *meant* recently, sorry.... the point was, it was designed recently for easy add-on as part of the PUP. And then, for a short time, as a 'dealer' option (should we call it 'after sales' option?). That stopped because we think it was killing the PUP sales.

But if they don't want to kill S sales and designed to keep the 3 as the 'lower end' car, then it won't be a drop-in addition for it. Was all I meant. :D

Someone posted a picture of a Model 3's cabin air intake under the hood, the other day. I can't find it now. There was no filter, let alone a HEPA filter. I was wondering if there was enough room to put a HEPA filter in there like the S and X have. I was thinking about selling my S and getting a 3, but I would really miss the HEPA. I can't stand the smell of car exhaust and the HEPA really eliminates this. Everytime I drive a car without it I'm reminded how much I really appreciate the HEPA filtration. Might be a deal killer for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: dss33
This is from the Model 3 Manual:

"Cabin Air Filter Model 3 has an air filter that prevents pollen, industrial fallout, road dust and other particles from entering through the vents. The air filter should be replaced when necessary. Contact Tesla."

So I'm secretly hoping they stuck a HEPA filter in there. For what its worth we have not smelled exhaust in our Model 3, about the same as our S with HEPA. :D

This is from the Model 3 Manual:

"Cabin Air Filter Model 3 has an air filter that prevents pollen, industrial fallout, road dust and other particles from entering through the vents. The air filter should be replaced when necessary. Contact Tesla."

So I'm secretly hoping they stuck a HEPA filter in there. For what its worth we have not smelled exhaust in our Model 3, about the same as our S with HEPA. :D
^THIS!!

I just got my Model 3 last week and have been amazed with the quality of the air filtration. I'm coming from a Honda Accord where I had recirculated on pretty much 100% of the time so I wouldn't smell the exhaust fumes of other vehicles. It drives me crazy!!

I didn't even realize the Model 3's recirculation option was turned off until almost a week into ownership. The filter is that good! I have smelled no smells from the outside coming into the cabin what-so-ever. Even if they didn't put a HEPA filter in there, whatever they did with the 3 is really well done. My guess is, they probably did something. That description in the owners manual is a bit suspect.

Just wait, they'll release the new S/X interior and then be like, oh hey, Model 3 has bio-weapons defense mode too, we just didn't want to tell you all because we wanted you to keep buying the S/X but now they're actually better than the 3... :p