Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here is what really annoys me about extra cost paint "options".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like me and Elon Musk have the same taste :cool:, I want my Model 3 in Black with 19" wheels, "Peanut Butter" interior and 2 gold Tesla badges (One in front, and one in back);).

model-3-black.jpeg

This goes back to when plain white paint was suddenly "no longer available" on the Model S. Who decided it "was not available"? Why was it "not available"? Did the world run out of white coloring? Unless you wanted basic black, any other color would cost big bucks. Different colors were listed as $17 or $25 per month, which works out to $1020 or $1500 over a 5 year car loan.

I cannot imagine why anyone wants black. People say it looks good. You know what does NOT look good? The fact that the slightest bit of dust or dirt, or even the most minor dent, ding, or scratch is very obvious. Or if the clear coat starts to peel. It couldn't stand out more if you had strobe lights and arrows on the car pointing to it! And black cars soak up more heat from the sun. I had a black car once, years ago, and never again. Black cars go from looking "perfect" to "piece of crap" VERY quickly.
Black is Beautiful! Especially when photographed with the Golden Hills of California :cool:

First Model 3.jpg

Okay, now take it for a one mile drive up that nice dirty dusty golden hill, then take a photo and tell me how good black looks.

No? I thought so. Because we all know black will show every speck of dirt and look like crap.
The man ordered a black car. He also bought a black Model X. And has a black Model S.

No one is going to force you to order a black car.

Reactions: MogWV
But it is likely you'll get charged extra if you don't want black...

Okay, now take it for a one mile drive up that nice dirty dusty golden hill, then take a photo and tell me how good black looks.

No? I thought so. Because we all know black will show every speck of dirt and look like crap.

Black is currently the only no cost paint option for the Model S ... :cool:
The Metallic paints are $1,000 and the Multi-coat are $1,500 (Pearl White and Red / Signature Red)
I selected the Midnight Silver Metallic that is pictured below and find it does an excellent job hiding road grime!

upload_2017-7-9_18-33-1.png

Last edited:
But it is likely you'll get charged extra if you don't want black...
That's true for the Model S and Model X. But there are a lot of decisions made to drive the cost of a Model 3 down. I guess I just don't understand the angst over this when we don't know yet. This Model 3 thread started out with a rant accusing Tesla of being unethical based on zero facts having to do with the 3. And here we are at almost 70 posts about it.

Reactions: Stirfelt and Runt8
That's true for the Model S and Model X. But there are a lot of decisions made to drive the cost of a Model 3 down. I guess I just don't understand the angst over this when we don't know yet. This Model 3 thread started out with a rant accusing Tesla of being unethical based on zero facts having to do with the 3. And here we are at almost 70 posts about it.

You are correct, we don't know. I was actually surprised, having never priced another Tesla, that there were extra charges for everything but black. It is bad business in my opinion (I certainly wouldn't do it), but it wouldn't keep me from buying the car. I don't want black, but I don't care enough to pay for something different should they use the same pricing models as they do on other cars. It would just be a disappointment that slightly lowers my satisfaction. Not a deal breaker, similar to if I got stuck with that light wood grain dash that I'm not fond of.

You are correct, we don't know. I was actually surprised, having never priced another Tesla, that there were extra charges for everything but black. It is bad business in my opinion (I certainly wouldn't do it), but it wouldn't keep me from buying the car. I don't want black, but I don't care enough to pay for something different should they use the same pricing models as they do on other cars. It would just be a disappointment that slightly lowers my satisfaction. Not a deal breaker, similar to if I got stuck with that light wood grain dash that I'm not fond of.

Sounds like this is not going to be the right car for you ... :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: masam and Stirfelt
I have asked a local car wrapping service about the costs for wrapping a Model 3. Their answer finally convinced me to go ahead and get my Model 3 in a base colour (preferably white, but if black is the only option, then so be it) and have it wrapped in a custom colour of my choice. They offer various wrapping films, I tend to go with their Avery SWF offering, as it has some of my favorite colours, plus seems to be quite good value for money.

Reactions: LoL Rick
I have asked a local car wrapping service about the costs for wrapping a Model 3. Their answer finally convinced me to go ahead and get my Model 3 in a base colour (preferably white, but if black is the only option, then so be it) and have it wrapped in a custom colour of my choice. They offer various wrapping films, I tend to go with their Avery SWF offering, as it has some of my favorite colours, plus seems to be quite good value for money.

Would you please share your prices? And any information you have been learning or debating? I am considering the exact same thing.

Reactions: Weezer Fan
It's not competing with BMW in the paint category.
it should at 75-150k a car...I think color is a total selling factor in a car with luxury cars. The fact that bmw offers so many options is amazing and great eventhough i dont care for their car styles or designs....too bad tesla didnt consider color such an important selling point that likely could sell a lot more cars. At 70-150k it really should offer way more then 7 colors...that kind of makes teslas not very unique in the personal sense. Thats why so many guys spend a ton of money doing so many add on custom crap stuff to the tesla to set it apart from the next guys car....To me color would be enough to do this.

If Tesla offered the 3 in TWO no-cost paint colors, that would be one thing. Black and White, or White and Silver, or Black and Silver, etc. At least then you'd have a choice. But the way it is on the S and X now, you either take the cheap crappy black paint or pay out another $1000 or more.

And if those option prices hold true on the 3, then it'll no longer be a $35,000 car for something as simple as a minor color change. I don't want metallic, (I'll take it but I don't NEED it) and I don't want multi-coat. Just plain white will be fine with me if Tesla insists on using the same 7 drab, dull, boring colors on the 3 like they do on the S and X. Really it is 5 colors, since the 2 blacks and one near-black might as well be considered together.

The cost difference between standard paint and metallic or pear is minimal. In actual fact some manufactures don't charge for metallic/ pearl finish paints at all like Mazda or Lexus. Also the car manufactures buy massive quantities of paint so they get it much cheaper than your local panel beater. It's a smart misleading excuse to make extra profits on the car and that's all it is. if you want the model 3 you need to except the extra cost or buy a Lexus/ Mazda. Also you find manufactures which charge for metallic or pearl paint generally only offer 1 or 2 non metallic colors and about 6 - 10 metallic colors to maximise profits.

Would you please share your prices? And any information you have been learning or debating? I am considering the exact same thing.

The quote was around 2K Euro. As for other information, I am still in the early stages of decision making. The sales guy from the wrapping service gave me some infos about various types of available wrapping films, indicating that he would suggest the Avery product versus others like 3M etc. I will go there sometime in early 2018 to check out samples of the films that are available then.

This is a case where Tesla could make a mistake by not understanding their new demographic.

Poor people don't like having it pointed out and they don't like being manipulated.

Rich people like to show off how much money they have. Extra cost paint is a chance to brag.

There should be at least two no up charge paint options and the charge for the other colors should be $300.

The model 3 does not have the size or the presence of an S. The demographic will be different.

This is a case where Tesla could make a mistake by not understanding their new demographic.

Poor people don't like having it pointed out and they don't like being manipulated.

Rich people like to show off how much money they have. Extra cost paint is a chance to brag.

There should be at least two no up charge paint options and the charge for the other colors should be $300.

The model 3 does not have the size or the presence of an S. The demographic will be different.

Yes. This post says what I meant, in different words.

I'm not poor, but I am also a long way from rich. Tesla better have a damn good reason why changing paint colors costs 1000 dollars extra. What's that? They need to make more profits on the 3 to stay in business? Not my problem. They announced it as a $35,000 car a year and a half ago, they should have tried harder to cut costs.

Tesla offering one crappy color and charging ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS to change it, on the "less expensive" model is very manipulative, deceitful, and unethical. That's not the type of thing they want automotive magazines writing about and being announced on the news and internet.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911 and Jayc