Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here is what really annoys me about extra cost paint "options".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people don't like black cars. So charging extra for any other color will result in more people not getting the unoptioned base model.
In fact, black was probably chosen as the "base" color *because* it is just about the least popular color (or at least the color that the maximum number of people find unacceptable).

Black is usually the second or third most popular color on almost every automotive color survey I've seen.

I just want my Day One Linestander Signature Red.

I love Black (My Honda Sport is Black) cars, and I plan to get the Black or White Model 3. Later I will paint my car the exact pantone color for Tesla Signature Red :cool:(I think they use Pantone Colors):confused:. I will also have the front, back, and 2 side "T" emblems gold plated so my car stands out from the crowd (different) ;). I love the way the black Porsche looks with gold plated badges:cool:.

I love Black (My Honda Sport is Black) cars, and I plan to get the Black or White Model 3. Later I will paint my car the exact pantone color for Tesla Signature Red :cool:(I think they use Pantone Colors):confused:. I will also have the front, back, and 2 side "T" emblems gold plated so my car stands out from the crowd (different) ;). I love the way the black Porsche looks with gold plated badges:cool:.

The only thing I really plan on doing is tinting it.

MMAAYYBBEE a wrap if I'm not thrilled with the colors they make available.

Reactions: graphic
Black is usually the second or third most popular color on almost every automotive color survey I've seen.

Funny... Except for limos/town cars, I almost never see black cars. Maybe it's less popular in California.

Also, I think what's important here is not how many people have black as their preferred color, but how many people consider black to be either a no-go or a seriously undesirable color. Those are the folks who are being pushed to pay extra

Except for limos/town cars, I almost never see black cars. Maybe it's less popular in California.

Say what? Three of the last 5 new cars in our office were black: BMW 3-series, BMW M6, and a Mustang GT350. Both BMW's replaced another black car.

Personally, I don't like black, but plenty of folks do, particularly in SoCal.

Per kbb, Black is the #3 most popular color, right behind #2 white, but both are dwarfed by silver (boring). Now maybe that is just bcos they are the cheapest? :)

Automotive Tools Tips Advice - Kelley Blue Book

Not personally but Darren has. He did 3 or 4 different schemes with Plastidip, 2 with Autoflex and 2 with Raail. For first timers I recommend Plastidip since it is cheaper and more forgiving.

I'd be careful on this. I did some research and there are some pretty lengthy debates going about whether plasti dip can ruin your clear coat or not. Nothing definite one way or another.