Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here is why I'm getting the bare bones 35k T3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good points.

Just wory how bad the base interior will be.
There was talk of open center console and cheap materials.
All cars used for test drives had the Premium Package.

The premium package exists for people to order it and make the car 5k more expensive. If you aren't buying the car while stretching the budget, better buy it. AP+FSD can still be upgraded afterwards, so I wouldn't save at the premium package.

To me, range is paramount! I don't like paying another $9k for it, was hoping for 5-7k, but range is king. 310 is outstanding, even if I have to pay $44,000 for it. Why, plan a trip from Phoenix to Portland and see how often you have to stop at superchargers when you are supposed to charge up 80% of the cars range. On the base M3's 220 miles of range the 80% charge is 176. That means on the trip from Phoenix to Portland you may be stopping at every single supercharger on the way and that adds time to your trip. With the 310 miles of range and an 80% recharge of 248, at least on the trip from Phoenix to Portland you might be able to skip a supercharger.
I actually did Phoenix to PDX last year in my 237 mile range X. It is a matter of travel style. We have the luxury of not having to "rush" through a trip as fast as possible. You are right a car with less range will add a bit of time to your trip as compared with a car of greater range.. I used to be exhausted at the end of a trip in my ICE car because I never stopped to rest. With the Tesla I Love the "forced" rest stops. Typically the car is charged and ready to go before I am. A very sane way to travel. I guess that's why there are choices, for some "range is king" for others bigger is not always the better choice.

I've been thinking about this all day. I can't decide if longer range is more important than having autopilot. I want the premium option package for the glass roof, adjustable seats and of corse, the folding mirrors. Don't know why I like the folding mirrors so much, but every time I see them on a Tesla I get really excited. Again, no idea why, not logical.

I hardly take any road trips, but I may change jobs in the next few years, start a family etc etc, so not sure what I'll need in the future.

Option 1: Base 35,000
Midnight Silver Metallic 1,000
Premium Package 5,000
Sport wheels 1,500
Autopilot 5,000
-1,000 reservation payment
Total: 46,500

Option 2: Long range 44,000
Premium Package 5,000
Sport wheels 1,500
-1000 reservation payment
Total: 50,500

Let me know what you guys think.
Autopilot not even close. The 220 mile range is fine but a trip with autopilot totally changes the experience. It is so much more relaxing with autopilot.

Reactions: jim3cantos and GSP
I've been thinking about this all day. I can't decide if longer range is more important than having autopilot. I want the premium option package for the glass roof, adjustable seats and of corse, the folding mirrors. Don't know why I like the folding mirrors so much, but every time I see them on a Tesla I get really excited. Again, no idea why, not logical.

I hardly take any road trips, but I may change jobs in the next few years, start a family etc etc, so not sure what I'll need in the future.

Option 1: Base 35,000
Premium Package 5,000
Sport wheels 1,500
Autopilot 5,000
-1,000 reservation payment
Total: 46,500

Option 2: Long range 44,000
Premium Package 5,000
Sport wheels 1,500
-1000 reservation payment
Total: 50,500

Let me know what you guys think.
I think taste is totally personal. You should configure the car as you want and can afford.
Robin

Reactions: Genshi
Autopilot not even close. The 220 mile range is fine but a trip with autopilot totally changes the experience. It is so much more relaxing with autopilot.

This illustrates how much personal preference matters for autopilot. My car will rarely, if ever, be taken on long road trips. Too small for the family. If my wife eventually buys a model Y to replace her CR-V my preferences on range and autopilot will likely be the exact opposite for that car.

Good points.

Just wory how bad the base interior will be.
There was talk of open center console and cheap materials.
All cars used for test drives had the Premium Package.
Don't know about 'cheap', but the 'non-covered console' is definitely part of the base. We have no idea what it looks like since no one has seen a base car!

I think we'll all need to wait until one is actually produced or the Design Studio (is public and) has renders of the two versions.

One other thing no one has seen yet is the supposed metal roof on the base model.

I'm going with PUP primarily for the all glass roof, plus non-black paint for a $41,000 car, which is within the $42,000 average price Elon had cited last year and for which I had budgeted.

Reactions: Big-T
Even after considering pricing, options, small vs big battery, wants vs needs... I'm amazed at how many folks have already decided what they're going to buy without a test drive. Yes, I know lots of you either already own a Tesla or have driven a rental, as have I.
I wouldn't even consider a purchase before a test drive. Especially since all the hype we saw at the handover was in fully loaded configurations.

Reactions: SoTX_WestTX
Mr To is in the market for a new car, as well. We're trying to figure out the best options for our needs which are sure to be different from everyone else's. I commute 50 - 60+ miles every day. His is a ten minute commute. I have an aging parent 30 miles away. We both drive and love (non Tesla) EVs, but I want my next vehicle to have more range without making me mortgage/auto loan poor. We all know about the cost of living in California. Lots of things to consider.
First world problems

Even after considering pricing, options, small vs big battery, wants vs needs... I'm amazed at how many folks have already decided what they're going to buy without a test drive. Yes, I know lots of you either already own a Tesla or have driven a rental, as have I.
I wouldn't even consider a purchase before a test drive. Especially since all the hype we saw at the handover was in fully loaded configurations.

Wait just a minute now, who let this gal on?

She has been banned from the internets for years now. I promise to curtail her internet privileges if things get out of control. No wine has been opened yet (we finished most of it off during the delivery ceremony Friday) so Mrs Toe should be coherent for at least the the next several minutes. :p

RT

• Funny
Reactions: Genshi and ModelX
Wait just a minute now, who let this gal on?

She has been banned from the internets for years now. I promise to curtail her internet privileges if things get out of control. No wine has been opened yet (we finished most of it off during the delivery ceremony Friday) so Mrs Toe should be coherent for at least the the next several minutes. :p

RT
Yes, dear

I'm kind of with the OP on the bare bones options. But I really need to be able to see a non premium and a premium side by side to compare the two. I'm wondering if the trim is simply lacking the wood or is the entire door panels and other interior parts made of cheeper materials too. Also curious as to exalty what the difference is in the center console storage that comes with premium. Are the seats cloth in the base? And if so are the bolsters and shape the same, but simply lack leather and power? Also and these are the big ones for me. Is the steering wheel still adjustable and just not power with the base model? How much head room do I loose with the headliner with a metal roof?

Reactions: hckyplyr
I really wish the AWD was here as it helps alot i bet in the rain? What is your experience on that with the Model X in the rain vs an S RWD in the rain?

What's this with rain? On snow or ice I believe AWD can make a difference (well, even then, only uphill - it will make little or no difference downhill). And even uphill on snow or ice AWD will help much less than winter tires will help (which cost more or less just the price of having someone change your tires twice a year - 100 EUR/USD per year or so). But rain? Except if you're taking roundabouts at 120km/h, I don't see the point :). Emergency braking will most probably be exactly the same with RWD or AWD.

I had a RWD Model S before my current AWD and am seriously considering going back to RWD (more comfortable, a more sporty feeling with accelerations, 5000 EUR less, less whine from motor). In the good ol' days we also got a larger frunk; a pity that that is no more.

Just want to caution you that I think your Level 1 charge estimate is a little high...Standard Level 1 is about 4-5 miles an hour with most cars, and the Model S is less than that. Don't forget that the 1,440 watts you'll be pulling (120v x 12 amps) also has to power the fans and cooling system on the car....So you might be putting 1,150 or 1,200 watts into the battery...

One more thing I've learned from experience...Check your garage receptacle thoroughly and think about replacing it with a new commercial grade receptacle that uses screw terminals and not the back-stab connections...If you'll be charging at Level 1 speeds for hours on end, you don't want to take a chance on any sort of poor connection that will heat up...

3.75 miles per hour of charging is typical in my experience with my Model S

• Informative
Reactions: Genshi
And even uphill on snow or ice AWD will help much less than winter tires will help

I've driven up Mt Hood in the snow in 2WD with winter tires while California 4x4s could not get traction to proceed.

I did this drive in a 4x4 I left in 2WD because, well, I'm from Chicago.

WInter tires are winter RATED tires. Not tires with deep treads that seem like they should do well in the snow.

• Informative
Reactions: Genshi and neroden
The premium package is designed to make a lot of people get it. This is of course typical of car pricing. If you need only one thing in it (fog lights, perhaps, if you're in a foggy area; or the power adjustable front seats if you have a lot of different people driving the car; or vinyl/polyurethane seats instead of polyester seats) you have to get the whole thing.

Almost everyone should be fine with the base range. The most common exception would be if you live in the snowbelt *and* have poor Supercharger coverage. Really bad winter days -- the absolute worst -- can reduce your range to 70% of normal. Even in the snowbelt, if the distance between Superchargers in your area is under 150 miles, you're going to be fine. If you're a travelling salesman or something where your job means you routinely take daily trips over 150 miles during deep winter (220 miles in summer or in places which don't have deep winter) you would also want the larger range even if you have good Supercharger coverage. (Oh, and if you're in Maritime Canada, just don't get the car at all until they build a service center.)

I suspect the vast majority of people will want a color other than black, and it's a little shoddy to charge extra for every single color other than black.

I predict that the median configuration will be somewhere between $41K (base + color + "premium") or $46K (for people who like Autopilot). I suspect that average selling price will be higher than the previously-projected $42K because a lot of people will spring for the big battery, whether they need it or not, and some will prepay for "Full Self Driving" even though it won't arrive for years; and this will probably outweigh the people who don't get the "premium" package or who get black. (This is definitely not investment advice, but if I were buying the car now, I'd be inclined to not pay for Full Self Driving now, put the $3000 in Tesla stock, and if they ever get Full Self Driving, the increase in stock value might exceed the increase in the cost of the option.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Genshi and GSP