Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here it is the new Tesla Maps ( coming this weekend? )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that the "Commute Advice" setting goes away when the new navigation system is turned on.

That's very possible, I should clarify what I mean by setting changes. I mean for example I can add a waypoint, or I can't change the nav voice (well I can, you can't you don't have a setting ).

I will say, the CID polls for Traffic information and still does with the new maps, so I'd be fairly surprised if they are not still doing the commute advice, as that's determined by QTCar and not nav engine dependent.

The vector maps in the IC is really a big improvement. Just look how smooth it performs and how much clearer the fonts/roads are displayed. And the new IC-nav with smart zoom and ability to change from top view in 2D to 3D view is a BIG improvement. This video show quite well that this is a very much welcomed thing!

Just hope I can get my hands on this new update here in Europe as well. Doesn't seem like anyone in EU have gotten the update yet. Right? Hope I get the update this weekend :)

Not sure if this video was posted before but found it to be a very clear comparison between old and new IC-nav.

That's very possible, I should clarify what I mean by setting changes. I mean for example I can add a waypoint, or I can't change the nav voice (well I can, you can't you don't have a setting ).

I will say, the CID polls for Traffic information and still does with the new maps, so I'd be fairly surprised if they are not still doing the commute advice, as that's determined by QTCar and not nav engine dependent.
Are you saying that there is support for multiple destinations in the new nav engine, it just isn't exposed yet?

Just hope I can get my hands on this new update here in Europe as well. Doesn't seem like anyone in EU have gotten the update yet. Right? Hope I get the update this weekend :)

Not likely as the update is currently for North America only. Maybe once they get it all rolled out here they will find an open source map source for Europe and work on swapping out the Navigon navigation system there as well.

Are you saying that there is support for multiple destinations in the new nav engine, it just isn't exposed yet?

Yes, but technically it was in the old nav engine as well, just never enabled, so who knows if it will ever be enabled on the new one. As @verygreen pointed out ,you have waypoints / multiple destinations today, it's just the have to be superchargers ;).

On your special rooted tesla, can you use the multi-waypoint feature with custom waypoints?

I haven't tried, theoretically, "I think" I could, I'd just make my destinations look like super chargers to the system and then plan a route accordingly, but it would be a PITA would no way to do it outside the console, so not worth the energy effort. To be honest I think the Tesla navigation sucks, and I use Waze and google maps exclusively, I just was posting this for the forums / you guys, I never use it myself, I don't eat Tesla's dog food until it actually adds value.

I haven't tried, theoretically, "I think" I could, I'd just make my destinations look like super chargers to the system and then plan a route accordingly, but it would be a PITA would no way to do it outside the console, so not worth the energy effort. To be honest I think the Tesla navigation sucks, and I use Waze and google maps exclusively, I just was posting this for the forums / you guys, I never use it myself, I don't eat Tesla's dog food until it actually adds value.
So what you're saying is we just need to build a supercharger at any potential destination? Thats probably easier than just implementing waypoints in the software

So what you're saying is we just need to build a supercharger at any potential destination? Thats probably easier than just implementing waypoints in the software

Probably just easier and cheaper to just hijack the supercharger JSON file that comes down from the mothership and add your destinations within, but heck if you want to build us out some SC's at all your destinations instead I accept =).

Wondering what my car was downloading (14GB) last night:

IMG_1E788222E2BE-1.jpeg

Reactions: MelaniainLA
So I've been reading conflicting reports. Does this map/nav update include vector maps for the CID, or only the maps for routing and display in the IC? Most people in this thread seem to suggest it's only IC maps, but I've also seen quite a few reports from people saying that after the nav update, the CID maps are much faster, implying that they're vector.

There is no big download involved for the vector maps update. It is for the center console (Google Maps) only, and is switched on server side. This has nothing to do with nav - neither routing, nor IC display. What you get out of it is that the zoom-in, zoom-out, rotate, (and lateral movements?) on the center console will appear smoother. Transitions will be smoother because what is displayed is dynamic vectors of tiny images/icons overlaid on each other rather than tiles of static images used before. I don't know if I expressed it accurately, but hope you got the idea.

If you ask me, I am still not convinced that this upgrade is connected with the 2018.12 firmware update or the nav update. But some people have reported to have received it at around the same time. I haven't seen enough people reporting it to be convinced that it's not just a coincidence. Most people are also confused and don't really understand what vector maps update is, so some may be incorrectly reporting it. Another factor is that it is not very easy for everyone to tell if they have got the upgrade. Many may mistake faster zooms to be vector maps upgrade. I have not seen any reports of explicit indication of vector maps upgrade, so you just have to figure it out by zooming in and out. Also, there is a chance only people with newer MCUs will get it.

I have a classic pre-AP MS. Old MCU. Haven't got vector maps yet. Got 2018.12 and the new nav.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
I thought that the "Commute Advice" setting goes away when the new navigation system is turned on.

Oh man I hope that's not the case, I actually love this feature, it's saved me on more than one occasion when leaving the house in the morning.

There is no big download involved for the vector maps update. It is for the center console (Google Maps) only, and is switched on server side. This has nothing to do with nav - neither routing, nor IC display. What you get out of it is that the zoom-in, zoom-out, rotate, (and lateral movements?) on the center console will appear smoother. Transitions will be smoother because what is displayed is dynamic vectors of tiny images/icons overlaid on each other rather than tiles of static images used before. I don't know if I expressed it accurately, but hope you got the idea.

If you ask me, I am still not convinced that this upgrade is connected with the 2018.12 firmware update or the nav update. But some people have reported to have received it at around the same time. I haven't seen enough people reporting it to be convinced that it's not just a coincidence. Most people are also confused and don't really understand what vector maps update is, so some may be incorrectly reporting it. Another factor is that it is not very easy for everyone to tell if they have got the upgrade. Many may mistake faster zooms to be vector maps upgrade. I have not seen any reports of explicit indication of vector maps upgrade, so you just have to figure it out by zooming in and out. Also, there is a chance only people with newer MCUs will get it.

I have a classic pre-AP MS. Old MCU. Haven't got vector maps yet. Got 2018.12 and the new nav.

Okay, this makes sense.

So has anyone in this thread actually gotten the vector maps on the CID? Are they rolling out at all, or is this still an "upcoming feature" we're waiting for?

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA