Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here it is the new Tesla Maps ( coming this weekend? )

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering what my car was downloading (14GB) last night:

View attachment 292258
Mine is going the wrong way! Screenshot_20180403-084141.png

Besides that my home moving 90 meters up the street in the new maps, it also displays the wrong postal code.
I tried to manually change the postal code to the correct one but it keeps changing to the wrong one in maps. I guess the position of objects in maps is related to the postal code (zip code) and Tesla somehow used a wrong list of codes.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I prefer the angled perspective of the older IC maps. You can see what's coming up easier. Also, the comparison video shows the old IC maps did a much better job labeling streets. The new one has a bunch of unlabeled lines and thats it.

Labeled roads and being able to see further ahead without having to zoom out what's close ahead is really helpful for context in unfamiliar areas.

Hopefully Tesla can fill these gaps... I'm in no hurry to get this particular update.

I prefer the angled perspective of the older IC maps. You can see what's coming up easier. Also, the comparison video shows the old IC maps did a much better job labeling streets. The new one has a bunch of unlabeled lines and thats it.

Labeled roads and being able to see further ahead without having to zoom out what's close ahead is really helpful for context in unfamiliar areas.

Hopefully Tesla can fill these gaps... I'm in no hurry to get this particular update.
But the softer and smoother animation, zooming etc. makes a big difference IMO. (PS: I'm still on the old UI so I'm judging by the vids out)

Well, disappointing. Had my X in to have the yellowing MCU screen replaced. Got a new S with the new maps and MCU. I asked them to load the new nav maps. Got to play with the new maps for a day. Have to say I really like the new nav look and like the vector maps on the CID. I knew I probably wouldn’t get the CID maps yet, but figured they would at least load up the new nav for me since I already had 18.12. Well I pick up my car, invoice says they loaded the maps. Turn the car on and no new nav.:(. They tried to tell me that the new nav is part of a future firmware and no one has the new nav except the brand new cars. Showed him where in fact people are already getting the new maps and he was quite surprised. Apparently they don’t have access to those maps yet. Sigh. So I guess I’m back to waiting for my “number” to come up while connected to wi-if.:(. It is hard going back to the “old style” nav and maps. I really hope they enable the vector maps and new browser on the older MCU soon though. The vector maps are so much more crisp looking and it was kinda cool having an actual functional browser available...

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Tested new nav...

AP2 Model S. Been running .12 download for many days. Just got new nav with release notes this morning.

New look to IC I like. But real difference is routing. I had tested old nav to find cases when it gave bad routes. I had some that were consistently silly. New nav gives the better routes. Yay.

Well, disappointing. Had my X in to have the yellowing MCU screen replaced. Got a new S with the new maps and MCU. I asked them to load the new nav maps. Got to play with the new maps for a day. Have to say I really like the new nav look and like the vector maps on the CID. I knew I probably wouldn’t get the CID maps yet, but figured they would at least load up the new nav for me since I already had 18.12. Well I pick up my car, invoice says they loaded the maps. Turn the car on and no new nav.:(. They tried to tell me that the new nav is part of a future firmware and no one has the new nav except the brand new cars. Showed him where in fact people are already getting the new maps and he was quite surprised. Apparently they don’t have access to those maps yet. Sigh. So I guess I’m back to waiting for my “number” to come up while connected to wi-if.:(. It is hard going back to the “old style” nav and maps. I really hope they enable the vector maps and new browser on the older MCU soon though. The vector maps are so much more crisp looking and it was kinda cool having an actual functional browser available...

Off topic: did they replace your screen or the entire MCU? I have this yellowing problem and want to wait to get it fixed when they replace it with MCU2 at their cost :)

On topic: I had the same issue with them loading the 2018.12 but refusing to load the new maps. I live in an apartment with NO WIFi in garage, so looks like I’ll never get the maps?

• Funny
Reactions: GayForEllon
Off topic: did they replace your screen or the entire MCU? I have this yellowing problem and want to wait to get it fixed when they replace it with MCU2 at their cost :)

It seems like it was the full MCU. The new one was no longer paired to my phone and it’s wifi had a new MAC address. Still Tegra though. They still didn’t have any info on what was required to swap with the new MCU or when they would.

• Informative
Reactions: GayForEllon
It seems like it was the full MCU. The new one was no longer paired to my phone and it’s wifi had a new MAC address. Still Tegra though. They still didn’t have any info on what was required to swap with the new MCU or when they would.

Thanks! That’s reassuring... I’ll have to keep calling to find out when they run out of old replacement MCUs! ;) Did they transfer over all your radio settings etc? Would hate to lose them but happy to lose if it comes with MCU upgrade! :)

Thanks! That’s reassuring... I’ll have to keep calling to find out when they run out of old replacement MCUs! ;) Did they transfer over all your radio settings etc? Would hate to lose them but happy to lose if it comes with MCU upgrade! :)
IF they actually come up with the MCU replacement, it will likely be flat rate and no discount if replacing.

If I was the service person and someone kept calling me with the same question, I’d specifically hold an old part for them. Probably why I’m not a service guy :)

They’ll eventually run out of MCU1’s to replace with, no? I have 7 years left on my (8 year extended) warranty so I can be patient ;)

Why would they run out of them? They will just keep refurbishing the ones that get replaced. (After all the new MCU is not plug compatible with the old one. So they would have to design either an upgrade MCU or an upgrade adapter kit.)