Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's how to charge with 32A commando in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I was to redo my home charger, I would get a properly installed commando socket (with PEN detection, etc) and use the UMC with a 32A converter. I would position it just inside the garage so it (and the UMC) is protected from the weather.
I think this setup could be installed for less than £500.
On the few times I go on a road trip I would just unplug the UMC and take it with me.
Luckily I've got a TWC and if it fails converting to a commando socket would be very easy...
I have one in the garage that I use as a back up with the UMC if my main charge point is out of action. So very infrequent use. It’s not fully EV spec but in the electrical safety stakes it’s actually better than using a 13amp 3 pin plug on a house ring circuit. It’s on its own circuit and with an earth rod within a few feet.

use as a back up with the UMC if my main charge point is out of action

Me too. My Sparky installed a commando socket at the same time as the wall charger (and an outdoor 13 AMP whilst he was at it)

I would not want to use the UMC as my primary charging source, as then I would have no backup if & when it fails.

But that said there are a couple of people in the village with EVs now ... so I could probably ask them for help if I was in a bind. That wasn't the case when I got my wall charger installed, and increasingly borrow-the-neighbour's Mower and UMC :) will become possible.

Reactions: GSP
This has been a very interesting thread actually.

We have a Zappi 7kW Charger, and a Zappy 22kW Charger at home.

The 7kW Charger is wired through the Tesla Gateway on the Grid Tied Side. Which enables us to charge the car at 7kW directly from the Powerwall Batteries.

The 22kW Charger is wired through a 3 Phase Distribution board on the Grid Tied Side. Which enables us to charge the car at 11kW directly from the Grid.

But...

If I installed a 32amp Commando Socket on the Tesla Gateway Backup Side, this would potentially give us a 'Grid Blackout' Car Charging option... in an emergency.

I've just spoken with our Electrician who said it's certainly possible, and is sending a quote over. It also bypasses the 'Smart Chargers' if you ever needed to at any point.

Here's a question: I have a type-2 socket at home and was about to buy the 16A blue commando adaptor for use when travelling. Does it tell the Tesla to restrict the charge current to 16A?

It occurred to me that if I bought the 32A one I would have more options at the same price, especially since I already have a 16-to-32 commando adapter. I'd very rarely use it at 32A, and I'd need to tell the car to drop the current if plugging into a 16A or 13A socket via an adaptor. But it would be worth carrying the extra bits just in case I found a 32A socket anywhere.

Also, in passing, these look like a good option for lower currents.

Here's a question: I have a type-2 socket at home and was about to buy the 16A blue commando adaptor for use when travelling. Does it tell the Tesla to restrict the charge current to 16A?

It occurred to me that if I bought the 32A one I would have more options at the same price, especially since I already have a 16-to-32 commando adapter. I'd very rarely use it at 32A, and I'd need to tell the car to drop the current if plugging into a 16A or 13A socket via an adaptor. But it would be worth carrying the extra bits just in case I found a 32A socket anywhere.

Yes if you use the 16amp commando it tells the UMC to limit charge to 16amp

You could do that (16/32 adapter) but you would need to be very very careful to manually drop the amps draw because with the 32amp UMC adapter fitted it will otherwise try to draw 32amps (as you suspected) and great unhappiness could ensue ... also be very sure that your 32amp to 16amp adapter is really up to the job. I bought both 16 and 32 amp UMC adapters since I have an "emergency use" 32amp commando socket at home in case the Zappi packs in.

I have a 32amp commando in the garage installed by the previous owner of the house. The UMC that came with my 2017 Tesla Model S seems to have a light. It starts charging and then it stops after building up to 20A. It then comes up with an error message on the car screen - apparently a sudden drop in voltage causing the charging to stop. Asked me to check lead, which is fine. I tried several times (detach/reattach) and same problem. Also tried the 3-pin adapter in the garage and it seems to work ok and not cut out. Could anyone give me any advice please??

Thanks

As you say, it's the voltage drop that is causing the problem. Maybe the cable feeding the commando socket isn't size correctly or very long.
Try reducing the current to 20A and see if it works. Then stop charging and increase the current by 2A and try again until you can find a realable charging current.

Edit: Check the connections in the commando plug and the other end for tightness.

Yep, something is heating up and causing the voltage to droop. You'll need to check everything is installed right back to the fuse board. When I was using a 16a commando the connection at the fuse board hadn't been tightened quite enough and and an IR camera quickly ID'd that it was over heating and tripping.

Check it all or get a sparky to look it over before committing to using it at 32a. I'd argue stick well below the limit you have found until then. Having an almost fire isn't a great idea.

• Helpful
HI all, good thread and helpful.

Just wanted to check understanding and what is the best way to actually approach the 32A route. I have the Tesla adaptor.

The Commando socket - what needs to be built into it? (Outdoor use)
RCD - can someone link which is a good one for the UK? Assuming I need this.
Electrician who was going to install it has now looked again and said I need a PEN and Surge protector as well. I'll be looking for someone else as concerned 2 months after looking at it he's just looked at the regs...

I want to make sure it's safe but don't want to be taken for a long ride on it. Only plan to be at the house another couple of years so don't want to put in anything expensive.

If fitted to charge a car outdoors it needs the same level of protection as a wall connector. With the latter, some of this protection may be built into the charge point, with a commando it needs to be externally fitted. So PEN protection and suitable RCD. Sound like what your electrician is proposing. Surge needs to be subject to a risk assessment.

I thought before this thread it'd be simpler as I've been charging on the 3pin for most of the time and just wanted to swap over that socket for the commando - they're both right next to the main fuse the other side of the wall.
I worry with the sparky as he's been installing something else with the heating system which it turns out he's never done before! Prefer to be informed when speaking to others

I thought before this thread it'd be simpler as I've been charging on the 3pin for most of the time and just wanted to swap over that socket for the commando - they're both right next to the main fuse the other side of the wall.
I worry with the sparky as he's been installing something else with the heating system which it turns out he's never done before! Prefer to be informed when speaking to others
Your options are:
  1. EV charger with built-in PEN fault detection (e.g. Zappi),
  2. Commando socket or EV charger without built-in PEN fault detection (e.g. Tesla Wall Connector) plus earth rod,
  3. Commando socket or EV charger without built-in PEN fault detection plus Garo/Matt-E PEN fault relay.
Cheapest route is likely to be option 2, assuming the sparky can achieve a suitably low impedance to earth with a rod. There's probably not much difference, price-wise, between options 1 and 3.

I plumped for option 3, with Tesla Wall Connector Gen3 and a Garo. This all worked well until a couple of months ago when the Garo developed a fault where it tripped if the voltage exceeded 245 Vac. Replacement Garo fixed it, but having dismantled the original unit I'm not convinced they're designed with longevity in mind.

I also have an earth rod; came as part of the Powerwall installation, so if the replacement Garo fails, it'll be consigned to the bin.

In summary, get quotes from few more sparks, and consider a proper EV charger.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Sorry to be clear the electrican hasn't mentioned an RCB - that's from this thread.
Comprehensive info here:

I've been charging on the 3pin for most of the time and just wanted to swap over that socket for the commando

I have commando as a backup, and I've used it (for that purpose) on a few occasions when Wall Charger was U/S (early adopter, plenty of stuff didn't make the grade, that's no reflection on what you should expect today)

The Commando plug removal involves considerable bending of socket case plastic and some brute force ... all by design I'm sure, but I wouldn't want to do that every day. Quality products used here, so that isn't the issue.

I have Tesla Wall Charger and a Zappi. Had the Tesla one a good few years, so it may have changed, but it has a very substantial cable and plug (more so than the Zappi, and others that I have used). My view is that it would stand a fair bit of abuse and plugging / unplugging.

I'd be interested in the opinion of someone who uses a Commando every day (and plugs / unplugs rather than just being able to leave it "as-if tethered")

basically I would only want a tethered solution where the only thing involved is the plug-to-car and a length of, very robust, cable that could survive being driven over etc.

I want the UMC in the car "just in case", and I wouldn't want to have to a) unplug it each time and b) wrap it up when it was raining.

I have commando as a backup, and I've used it (for that purpose) on a few occasions when Wall Charger was U/S (early adopter, plenty of stuff didn't make the grade, that's no reflection on what you should expect today)

The Commando plug removal involves considerable bending of socket case plastic and some brute force ... all by design I'm sure, but I wouldn't want to do that every day. Quality products used here, so that isn't the issue.

I have Tesla Wall Charger and a Zappi. Had the Tesla one a good few years, so it may have changed, but it has a very substantial cable and plug (more so than the Zappi, and others that I have used). My view is that it would stand a fair bit of abuse and plugging / unplugging.

I'd be interested in the opinion of someone who uses a Commando every day (and plugs / unplugs rather than just being able to leave it "as-if tethered")

basically I would only want a tethered solution where the only thing involved is the plug-to-car and a length of, very robust, cable that could survive being driven over etc.

I want the UMC in the car "just in case", and I wouldn't want to have to a) unplug it each time and b) wrap it up when it was raining.
I dont need the UMC in the car 99% of the time, we just leave it in so it functions as if tethered. We mainly use the car for the wifes journeys so they usually take at most 50% battery and there's a tesla supercharger on the route if anything ever went drastically wrong. We keep the other charger cables in but only used them twice I think.
Earth rod sounds like it could be an option then, its a very easy safe place to put one in the ground where it is.

I'd definitely go charger if I planned to stay at the house, its just with not planning to be there too long it seems expensive. Though not as expensive as a large electrical shock!!!

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I wonder if adding a cheap charger (like an eo-mini) would allow a reasonable return at house sell point? Only £500 ish installed I think if the install isn't too hard, might you get that back when you move? Either as a little extra £££ on the house, or just a slightly easier sale as it takes care of something for the next owner? Will have to be a factor one day in the future?