Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

hertz rentals: can you use your own key fob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
random question that I haven't seen answered in all of the previous hertz threads...

if I take my own key fob, can I use the hertz key card to add my own key and then remove it when we drop the car off? would be nice to be able to have passive entry/exit to match my at home experience and avoid potentially leaving the car unlocked (since I'm not used to having to lock it myself)...

I rented a Model Y from Hertz a couple of months ago along with a friend who also rented one. They did not do any resetting so the car had everything the previous renters put in and didn't remove (for example my MSM car was pink on the FSD-realization). I think the key fob should work, but I don't believe you can use your phone as key because your Tesla app need to be logged into the same user account as the car.

I thought it was going to be a pain in the butt to use the key card, but it didn't turn out to bother me much during our 4-day rental. Still, it would be nice if Hertz could figure out some way to allow app access in the future. I'm not counting on that though, since many other cars (EV or ICE) has remote app functionality and I doubt rental car companies give access to those.

I think the key fob should work, but I don't believe you can use your phone as key because your Tesla app need to be logged into the same user account as the car.

this is what I was hoping for. It makes sense that the phone key won't work since as you said I'd have to use the app to add it...but the key fob I should be able to add just using the key card they give you, unless they have somehow locked that down.

I rented a Model Y from Hertz a couple of months ago along with a friend who also rented one.
Were you able to paid directly the Tesla Superchargers with your own Tesla account,
or did Hertz included the charging to your bill? If so, did Hertz added any fees for the charging?

Were you able to use a public L2 charger (like ChargePoint) and pay with your personal account?

Should be able to add phone key too. I imagine they do a factory reset after each rental...at least they should. Would be similar to a regular ICE vehicle where you add your device to BT or use AA and CarPlay.

Every time I rent a car there are several phones from prior renters in the system, they do NOT do a factory reset.

They should have a customized software package from Tesla so you can't add keys to prevent you from coming back a day later and stealing the car. If not, I have a new line of work :D

Keith

I would think they lock out the add a key feature for a rental fleet otherwise you can obviously end up with a working key after your rental. Way to easy to steal a car this way. Give it a try and report back. If this works it will also work with your own key card as you can add several vehicles to one card.

Were you able to paid directly the Tesla Superchargers with your own Tesla account,
or did Hertz included the charging to your bill? If so, did Hertz added any fees for the charging?

Were you able to use a public L2 charger (like ChargePoint) and pay with your personal account?
The supercharger costs were billed to Hertz and they charged me after I returned the car. They did not add any fees to the supercharging sessions.

I did not use any public L2 chargers, but I’m pretty sure you can pay with your own account with those. It’s basically like driving Someone else’s Tesla. Hertz doesn’t have any special software on the car. In fact, I downloaded and installed a software update (2022.36) during my rental.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I would think they lock out the add a key feature for a rental fleet otherwise you can obviously end up with a working key after your rental. Way to easy to steal a car this way. Give it a try and report back. If this works it will also work with your own key card as you can add several vehicles to one card.
I'm pretty sure that, as long as you have a physical key that's registered with the car that you can tap on the center console (either a key card or key fob), you can add another key, be it a phone (Bluetooth key) or another key card or another key fob.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I'm pretty sure that, as long as you have a physical key that's registered with the car that you can tap on the center console (either a key card or key fob), you can add another key, be it a phone (Bluetooth key) or another key card or another key fob.

the phone key has to be initiated in the app as far as I know, which is why that won't work.

you are correct though on the key fob, which is why I was hoping that MIGHT work.

I would think so as well, but was curious if anyone has tried it. if we know it doesn't work, there's no reason for me to take my own key and risk losing it.

also, while it would work for adding your own key card, there's less benefit there...the whole reason I want to do this is for passive entry to avoid potentially leaving the car unlocked (since I'm used to my own car), which isn't possible with the card.

I've rented a Hertz M3, several times. I don't know about a fob, but you cannot add it to your phone app because, the "owner" has to give you permission to connect the key to your app. There has been no way to control the car except with the key card. I suspect it would be the same with the fob.

You don't know how many times I walked away from the car and left it unlocked :oops:

I know there are 3rd party apps that folks that short term rent their vehicles use those to allow phone control.

I would like Tesla's software gurus to work on this enhancement instead of another light show or fart noises. But I digress...

I've rented a Hertz M3, several times. I don't know about a fob, but you cannot add it to your phone app because, the "owner" has to give you permission to connect the key to your app. There has been no way to control the car except with the key card. I suspect it would be the same with the fob.
To add a key fob or key card I think you just need to use the car interface and tap an existing authorized key card or key fob on the center console? Maybe it doesn't work in valet mode but I doubt they put the cars into valet mode when they rent them.
You don't know how many times I walked away from the car and left it unlocked :oops:
This is exactly why I have told my wife numerous times to never use these stupid automatic features. Automatic door locks = you'll leave your car unlocked when you drive a car that doesn't have them. Automatic Homelink = you'll leave the garage door open when driving a car without it. We use Homelink but always, always manually control the doors. Don't allow yourself to become automation dependent, like my coworker who almost backed our rental car into a truck in Honolulu because the rental car lacked the audible warning when it got close to obstacles like his personal car did. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Beans4Me
To add a key fob or key card I think you just need to use the car interface and tap an existing authorized key card or key fob on the center console? Maybe it doesn't work in valet mode but I doubt they put the cars into valet mode when they rent them.
Yes, but the car either need to be in your account, or the owner of the Tesla account has to invite you and that doesn't happen in the Hertz rental space. I understand about not becoming so dependent on automation or other "habit helpers" but I must confess, I do love just walking up to the car and going, and walking away when I get where I'm going. I'll take the criticism, and I'll still be unashamedly guilty.

Yes, but the car either need to be in your account, or the owner of the Tesla account has to invite you and that doesn't happen in the Hertz rental space. I understand about not becoming so dependent on automation or other "habit helpers" but I must confess, I do love just walking up to the car and going, and walking away when I get where I'm going. I'll take the criticism, and I'll still be unashamedly guilty.

this is not true: the phone and/or app aren't involved at all when pairing a fob. if you have a key card that is paired to the car, you can pair a key fob using it...unless they have it locked down somehow to prevent that (although i haven't seen a way to do that).

you do need to own or be invited to use the phone key...but that is not the same thing as adding a key card or fob. the phone key starts in the app, the card or fob can be done without the app.

this is not true: the phone and/or app aren't involved at all when pairing a fob. if you have a key card that is paired to the car, you can pair a key fob using it...unless they have it locked down somehow to prevent that (although i haven't seen a way to do that).

you do need to own or be invited to use the phone key...but that is not the same thing as adding a key card or fob. the phone key starts in the app, the card or fob can be done without the app.
Couldn't get my son's fob to work, but maybe someone knows the trick. Thanks for the info.

Couldn't get my son's fob to work, but maybe someone knows the trick. Thanks for the info.

the trick?

step 1: bring up the main car menu on the touchscreen
step 2: choose locks
step 3: press the + button to add a new key
step 4: follow instructions on screen, tap the fob and the key card when it asks you to do each
step 5: profit

not really a "trick" to it, it's extremely straightforward.

Reactions: cdub and Daekwan
the trick?

step 4: follow instructions on screen, tap the fob and the key card when it asks you to do each

This is only for the key fob? No way to add your own Phone key using this method correct?

the trick?

Yes, that worked when we got the fobs, but has anyone had this work for rental cars It did not work for a rental in TX. Also when it worked was it an original fob or a new one? What year car? and what year fob?