Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, there is a need for that NEMA 14-30 adapter still!

As a Model S/3/X owner, how would I use a NEMA 14-30 adapter (now discontinued)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I'm going to keep it simple and go with :

A. newly re-released 14-30 tesla adapter: Tesla — NEMA 14-30
B. 14-30 to 14-30 extension cord 25 feet Amazon.com: AC Connectors NEMA 14-30 4 Prong Dryer SOOW 10/4 30A 125/250Volt Anti-Weather, Oils, Acids and Chemicals Rubber Extension Cord … (25FT): Home Improvement (only because the outlet is approx 25 feet from teh car's charging port (or I back the car in).

Advantages - the car will auto-detect the max ampage of 24A since using the newly re-released 14-30 tesla adapter. Less cords to mess around with.

Reactions: Rocky_H
As I'm writing this, I'm using a custom 14-30P to 10-30R cable. At the time I made this, the Tesla 14-30 adapter was unavailable, but the 10-30 still was. It actually turned out pretty well, because I found a (pretty expensive) cord-mount straight 10-30R connector. I've never been a fan of the right-angle 14-30R connectors. Has anyone ever come across a 14-30R cord-mount they like?

Just in case it's helpful to anyone, here's the 10-30 connector I use. It's not perfect, but it's available.
McMaster-Carr

Reactions: cybergates
As I'm writing this, I'm using a custom 14-30P to 10-30R cable. At the time I made this, the Tesla 14-30 adapter was unavailable, but the 10-30 still was. It actually turned out pretty well, because I found a (pretty expensive) cord-mount straight 10-30R connector. I've never been a fan of the right-angle 14-30R connectors. Has anyone ever come across a 14-30R cord-mount they like?

Just in case it's helpful to anyone, here's the 10-30 connector I use. It's not perfect, but it's available.
McMaster-Carr

yeah I can't find a 14-30 socket female receptacle that is a straight cord mount. They're all like wall mount sockets (I think this one I might secure to a wall too)

Hey all, we have a poll going on over at TMC regarding S/3/X owners' need for the discontinued NEMA 14-30 adapter still. I know everyone doesn't need it, but there are some that genuinely do (and more as ownership base grows and Model 3 owners take delivery). Any attention you can help give to the matter by voting/commenting would be great.

Post 304 above is a direct copy/paste of @supratachophobia 's post on the TM forums. Not sure I understand what the point is.

Edit: this is a bit odd. If you look at the posting history for the IirisSeveri account, and Google any of his posts, they all seem to be exact quotes lifted from elsewhere on the net. An experiment, perhaps?

Have I been plagerized by a bot? I wonder if it's some way to bump threads automatically.

Post 304 above is a direct copy/paste of @supratachophobia 's post on the TM forums. Not sure I understand what the point is.

Edit: this is a bit odd. If you look at the posting history for the IirisSeveri account, and Google any of his posts, they all seem to be exact quotes lifted from elsewhere on the net. An experiment, perhaps?
Maybe part of a spambot? Do this kind of fake posting to get the post count up a bit, then start embedding spam links.

Now that the 14-30 adapter is back, has anyone asked Tesla about bringing back the NEMA 6-50 adapter ?

I've written into support requesting that all adapters be made available again. The way I pitched it was that the car was obviously designed for safety. And, when it comes to charging, people will find a way. Safely if you make appropriate adapters available, potentially unsafely otherwise.

I'd really like all current/voltage combinations covered, don't get me wrong! But, you can get the right current limiting with the 14-50, and a simple adapter to a 6-50 is straight forward. And since the 6-50 is a lot less common than the 14-30, I have a feeling it's not going to resurface :(

I decided to just stick with the 14-50 extension cord: (Amazon.com: Camco 55194 50 AMP 15' PowerGrip Extension Cord: Automotive) - I figure if I'm travelling and come across an RV park this cord can be great for any 14/50 hookups or once I get a 14/50 outlet installed as a multipurpose cord. I'm going to keep it short at 15' and hopefully I can just reach the outlet on the wall with only the 14/30 tesla adapter and none of the other stuff below is even needed

But when the cars in the other part of the garage or too far a reach I'm going with
1. Amazon.com : Conntek 30A NEMA 14-30P to 50-Amp Electric Vehicle Adapter Cord for Tesla : Sports & Outdoors
2. Tesla — NEMA 14-30 Official adapter (now re-released)
3. I found this interesting 14/50->14/30 female (its a Y-adapter which I don't really need the double outlet though): Amazon.com: Conntek Y14501430 3FT Y Adapter Cord NEMA 14-50P RV/Generator/Range Plug to NEMA 14-30 4 Prong Dryer Female Connector: Automotive

The Campco and Conntek stuff seems really high quality and the bright yellow cord is also nice to alert ppl this is a high voltage cord. I found this other 14/30 straight extension cord but was not impressed with the quality of the connectors but this is an option for just a 14/30 extension: Amazon.com: AC Connectors NEMA 14-30 4 Prong Dryer SOOW 10/4 30A 125/250Volt Anti-Weather, Oils, Acids and Chemicals Rubber Extension Cord … (25FT): Home Improvement

This is what i use
It works for both 14-50 and 14-30 in one setting
It does not have 4th pin, so it plugs into either receptacle
So no need for adapter
Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for Tesla, 20 ft.

You can also modify your UMC plug for either 14-30/14-50 receptacle as recommended below. :cool:

Ingineer said:

You can literally just cut the neutral prong off the 14-50 adapter, then it will work in 3 outlet types; 14-30, 14-50 and 14-60.

The neutral is not used in the UMC, and it's just a dummy pin. Just be sure to set your max current to 24A when using it on a 14-30 or you will trip the breaker. View attachment 110270

I grabbed the pin with vise grip pliers and ripped it out, then just filled the hole with sealant. I use it all the time and it works perfectly.
upload_2017-4-1_8-43-44.png

Whoa, didn't notice this: NEMA 6-50 Adapter Available For Sale Again 4/22/17

I got my new 10-30 today, and wanted to check the store to see if they're selling them yet. Apparently not, but they do have a 6-50 on there! I immediately ordered one. I now have a complete set of UMC adapters!
Mine came in just a few days after ordering. I really just needed the 6-50 adapter, but given Tesla's track record of stocking NEMA adapters I'm wondering if it's worth ordering the others while they're still available too.