Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, there is a need for that NEMA 14-30 adapter still!

As a Model S/3/X owner, how would I use a NEMA 14-30 adapter (now discontinued)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you initiate?
Yes. I emailed them early this year with a picture of my adapters in hand, that went mostly ignored. A few months later I emailed again askin what was up and they asked for email addresses of those I purchased from, so I provided the address I sent payment too. They seemed all good after that, and I received my replacement 10-30 adapter a few days later. Then last week or so I emailed agayaaking about the 14-30s. They said they would check, and now here they are.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
Hmmmm. I've now sent three emails to ServiceHelpNA on this, the first got a reply of "we'll open a case with your service center" and the second two received auto-acknowledgements but so far have otherwise gone ignored. :(

Weirdly the most recent auto-ack came from ServiceHelpAU. I don't want to have to go to Australia to pick up a replacement but if they're going to pick up the tab for flying me there, that might not be all bad. :D

Bruce.

Hmmmm. I've now sent three emails to ServiceHelpNA on this, the first got a reply of "we'll open a case with your service center" and the second two received auto-acknowledgements but so far have otherwise gone ignored. :(

Weirdly the most recent auto-ack came from ServiceHelpAU. I don't want to have to go to Australia to pick up a replacement but if they're going to pick up the tab for flying me there, that might not be all bad. :D

Bruce.
My last email where I said "thanks! Got 'em" also received an auto response from ServiceHelpAU. I thought it was odd, but the phone number still seemed to be their normal 877 number, so didn't think any more of it.

It's not a software change on the car side, but likely inside the UMC itself. The UMC recognizes 4 values that we know of (If you search here for "33.16k" you'll find 8 posts with the list):

40 amps - 9.08k ohms
24 amps - 33.16k ohms
16 amps - 75k ohms
12 amps - 140k ohms

Does the UMC support other values? Who knows? If you wanted something different, you'd need to build a new adapter with another resistor, and likely update the microcode in the UMC to recognize the new value. It's the UMC's microcode that recognizes the resistor value and generates the correct pilot signal to the car to control the max current allowed.

Some Canadian owners have UMC/14-50 combo's that charge at 32A. I don't think anyone knows if there's a 5th undocumented resistor value for 32A, or if there's a special Canadian microcode that re-assigns 9.08k to 32A.
I've since bought a Canadian 14-50 adapter (I don't know, why not?). It uses a 20k resistor to get a 32A charge rate. It works correctly on my US UMC, so I think it's safe to say Canadians don't have a different UMC, and there's (at least) 5 different supported resistor values.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Rocky_H
I've not received 10-30, 14-30, or 6-50...... And those would be my personal stash. I am glad to see that some people are receiving replacements though.

@supratachophobia I just got my replacement 10-30 and 14-30 adapters yesterday. I had to ask again, and since I didn't buy them directly I had to provide your name and which SC you purchased them from before they would ship them.

Reactions: FlatSix911
NEMA is great. I hope Tesla keeps NEMA in mind, always.

It is NEMA’s belief that standards play a vital part in the design, production, and distribution of products destined for both national and international commerce. Sound technical standards benefit the user, as well as the manufacturer, by improving safety, bringing about economies in product, eliminating misunderstandings between manufacturer and purchaser, and assisting the purchaser in selecting and obtaining the proper product for his particular need.

About NEMA Standards - NEMA

I ordered a 14-30 adapter and some aero cap replacements from the Tesla store in the same order. I was only shipped the aero caps. Has anyone ordered and received a 14-30 adapter recently? Are the 14-30 adapters just out of stock now and Tesla will ship it to me later or did they screw up my order and forget to ship the 14-30 adapter?

I ordered a 14-30 adapter and some aero cap replacements from the Tesla store in the same order. I was only shipped the aero caps. Has anyone ordered and received a 14-30 adapter recently? Are the 14-30 adapters just out of stock now and Tesla will ship it to me later or did they screw up my order and forget to ship the 14-30 adapter?
The Tesla shipping department seems unable to walk and chew gum at the same time. I recently ordered 5 different adapters and they were sent in 5 different shipments sometimes several days apart.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
The Tesla shipping department seems unable to walk and chew gum at the same time. I recently ordered 5 different adapters and they were sent in 5 different shipments sometimes several days apart.
Did you get separate shipping notifications for each shipment? So far I’ve only received one shipping notification and it wasn’t clear to me if the shipment was supposed to contain both items I ordered or not. So I don’t know if I should wait for the 14-30 adapter or ask for a refund and try buy the adapter from somewhere else. My car is going to be delivered in 1.5 weeks and I’ll need the adapter before then.

I ordered a 6-20 adapter on Thanksgiving. Shipped the next day.