Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi, I’m a short seller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I now get it. Shorts were hoping Tesla would sell 35k cars to all comers right out of the gate and go bankrupt. It certainly fits their lose money on every car theory.

Otherwise, what explains their consternation about the performance 3 and the non availability of the no frills base.

Reactions: Electroman
does anyone feel like you were bait and switched?

To some degree, yes. EM promised that the dual-motor version would cost less than it did for the Model S at the time. Now they've decided to price it the same. I can see why. Larger than expected demand. There's a good argument that it's not really bait and switch because I can still change my mind and buy a RWD version or get my deposit back. Regardless, Tesla's pricing decision has left a bad taste in my mouth.

To get back on topic, the increased demand and price for dual-motor will only help contribute to positive cash flow. To the critics (shorts) who think the Model 3 is a luxury sedan based on price don't understand the market very well. A high percentage of the reservations are from people who have moved up-market. Further, it's ridiculous to compare a car with far lower operating expenses to other cars in the same price range. Consumers are not that stupid.

I find it interesting that some people seem to think the Chevy Bolt is a lot cheaper than a Model 3. What?!?! If you buy a base Model 3 it has about the same range as a Bolt but the M3 has more features and is actually cheaper.

Reactions: neroden
upload_2018-5-24_10-19-55.png

Uggg. I need my fix of making @ShortSeller wrong.

@Reality -- can't you post something?

Last edited:
I now get it. Shorts were hoping Tesla would sell 35k cars to all comers right out of the gate and go bankrupt. It certainly fits their lose money on every car theory.

Otherwise, what explains their consternation about the performance 3 and the non availability of the no frills base.
You NAILED it.

They were hoping that Tesla will sell 200k base ($35k) M3s this year, lose money and go bankrupt. Now they are so angry that is not how this is playing out.

Lol, we will see about that. The events of the last 2-3 weeks make me more convinced than ever about what direction this is going.
What events are those? The model 3 production rate hitting 3500/wk? Tesla opening up orders for AWD and performance? China tariff reduction? Massive Powerwall project in South Australia getting the green light?

What events are those? The model 3 production rate hitting 3500/wk? Tesla opening up orders for AWD and performance? China tariff reduction? Massive Powerwall project in South Australia getting the green light?

What about everyone seeing fit/finish issues and deciding to not keep the car? Or all the people who get in it and HATE being able to nimbly move between traffic. Or maybe folks who hate the fact that they get a little chill when moving from 80 degrees in the sun to a nicely pre-cooled car?

Or maybe it's all the poor folks like my Dad who got his brand new model 3 and now my mom wants an X. I bet he didn't realize that 59k model 3 was going to run him closer to 150k when he decided to get it.

Yes, all of those along with the twitter antics. But a word of caution about the weekly rate, I believe the leaked email mentioned 500 in a 24 hour period. I don’t know what the sustained weekly rate is, but I personally can’t wait until they hit 5K
First time we’ve been able to run at a rate of 500/day or an extrapolated 3500 customer deliverable cars per week.
and
Congrats to the battery/chassis marriage line, which just did 32 UPH! Shows that it is possible to achieve over 5000 cars per week even with our super complicated GA line. Sorry you have to work on this terrible thing! We are working on improving it as fast as possible.
per Tesla fixes Model 3 battery/chassis marriage bottleneck, builds 500 units/day for clearer path to 5,000/week