Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi, I’m a short seller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're betting a substantial portion of your net worth on that, please sell and see an investment consultant.

Emotional investing does not do well in the long run. TSLA is one of the riskiest stocks to own. You should be diversifying and indexing if you do not know how to properly value a business.

I'm a real estate developer, so stocks don't represent a substantial portion of my net worth, but my emotional investing also led me to buy AAPL, which I still own, at $5.43 split adjusted.

It’s not misinformation, check the original model 3 presentation. Elon said $35K, it was also on the signage, etc. After hundreds of millions in deposits, it’s replaced by the higher end model, with no firm date on when it will arrive. And questions about the take rate on configuration invites get negative responses.
Yes he said 35k which is consistent with what's happening. They will sell the base model for 35k in a few months, probably sooner. So where do you get the idea Tesla misled people? They certainly never "replaced it by the higher end model" as you claim.

The reason take rate questions get negative responses is because those questions have been answered multiple times, and the question is usually framed in a negative way. The take rate is quite high when you take into account the number of people like myself who elected to postpone our orders until another model is available (dual motor, base, etc). Frequently, such as the question at the earnings call, they ask why only 40 - 50% of the reservations are being converted to sales. The balance of reservation holders are mostly not asking for their money back. They're simply waiting for a later date to convert to a sale.

Oh my, now the New York Times is getting in a few shots.

Opinion | Elon Musk, the Donald of Silicon Valley

The opinion piece is full of hopeless exaggerations, false information, and denial that gas cars are hurting anything. I'm surprised you said "now the NY Times..." because there's nothing new about this behavior from the Times. They've had it out for Musk and Tesla ever since Elon embarrassed them by exposing the factual errors they published about 5 years ago. Even the Times own internal investigation exposed the mis-representations which infuriated their Automotive editor. Since then he's tried to make a career out of bashing Tesla.

Been following this thread and feel the need to say something... never took a business class in college unfortunately, but worked pretty hard to earn over last 20 yrs enough to buy a 90D S for me and my family a year and a half ago and 33,000 miles ago. Have read every shred of info about Tesla, space x over last 10 yrsand probably understand a lot more about the aerospace industry than the car industry, I love my Tesla more than any Subaru or truck or BMW that I’ve ever driven. Bought 50 shares at around 200 two years ago, and have enjoyed following this every day since. Money well spent however it goes.... Tesla will crush it because they are making a game changing product that is pretty damn amazing in my opinion. They will sell a heck of a lot of these pricey versions because it’s going to be the most practical, Safe, fun, clean choice eventually for most people. EV’s have always had the advantage in the physics, and now that Tesla is seemingly mastering the practical range of battery chemistry that is needed for 95% of driving. I live in semi rural northern US climate and The S has performed brilliantly. Once people start experiencing this change over next 6 months gosh it’s going to be interesting to watch. Tesla is for the most part building a more amazing forward thinking, practical, fun product, and is making a product that is half price from what I can afford now, that is really not that much “slower/smaller” than mine? All I’m saying is that I enjoy following along with all this. Good luck short seller and reality, but my feeling is that Tesla is going to crush it over next year... energy storage, solar, EV’s....

Just had a nice chat which the shorts side. Such a lovely bunch!
upload_2018-5-27_10-22-1.png

And regarding the $35K Model 3, take a look at the purported automotive margin and you will see why I can’t wait for it to go on sale.

Still waiting for intelligent math making this point persuasively. Still waiting.

When shorts only offer ad homs, and reject invitations to prove their point with numbers and intelligent thoughtful analysis you can take that as a good sign that they are stuck in their own confirmation bias.

And regarding the $35K Model 3, take a look at the purported automotive margin and you will see why I can’t wait for it to go on sale.

Still waiting for intelligent math making this point persuasively. Still waiting.

When shorts reject invitations to prove their point with numbers and intelligent thoughtful analysis you can take that as a good sign that they are stuck in their own confirmation bias.

Last edited:
Mass production 101: As production efficiency increases, costs come down.

This is especially true for a new technology like EVs and battery production.

True, but beyond efficiency, when you triple production rate on the same equipment with the same workforce, you drop fixed cost amortization per item to 1/3... (I suppose a different form of efficiency)

If you're betting a substantial portion of your net worth on that, please sell and see an investment consultant.

Emotional investing does not do well in the long run. TSLA is one of the riskiest stocks to own. You should be diversifying and indexing if you do not know how to properly value a business.

100% of the stocks I own are TSLA and they represent a significant % of my net worth. It was all about emotions since the beginning though: I'm emotionally attached to this planet and the stupid things that live on it to not participate in the (inevitable) energy transition. I hear it isn't wise and I'll probably have to pay the price.

Speaking about price: how much is this planet and biosphere-thing worth? Any figure would help readjusting my portfolio :p

• Funny
Reactions: oneday and neroden
Ooops-a-daisy

Tesla Model 3 kann mit Gewinn gebaut werden

via Google translate:

Tesla's Model 3 can make a profit. This is the result of a German engineering service provider, who has a Model 3 decomposed to the last screw . The material and delivery costs of the $ 35,000- $ 78,000 car are only around $ 18,000; In addition, according to the estimations of WirtschaftsWoche about $ 10,000 in production costs per car. "If Tesla manages to build the planned 10,000 pieces a week, the Model 3 will deliver a significant positive contribution to earnings," says a test engineer.