Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi, I’m a short seller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the stabilizing factors in Tesla is...Elon.

If things get tight, he seems more than willing to put much, or all of his significant personal wealth. He has a tremendously large checkbook and is all in with his projects.

This, among so many other things makes Tesla a unique company.

The faithful have made huge financial gains. Many have paid completely for their Tesla's with some of their profits.

For the most parts, selling Tesla short has cost millions to those betting against Tesla. The pain has been intense.

Many short sellers have even published made up negative stories, or taken a grain of truth and posted that it would be the death of the company. To me, this is plain evil. Foisting fake news to try to stem their losses. They live by causing pain to others. They rejoice if someone gets killed in an accident. Look forward to a crash or someone leaving the company. They get happy when an employee gets hurt, or the parking situation gets tough at the plant. If a fake competitor comes out with a EV, copying Tesla's proven concepts they call that a Tesla Killer. Most often these fake cars never make it to production.

The goal of Elon is to improve the lives of humanity by cleaning up the urban air, reducing traffic congestion with the boring company, or taking us to the stars with SpaceX. People trying to hurt someone working hard to make a better world are a bit sad.

two of my favourite examples are the Boeing B747 and B787
Airplane manufacturers are always one step away from BK. Cessna once had to lock the boardroom doors to keep the bankers out. Boeing was forced to make wooden furniture once upon a time (because of their skill crafting wooden seaplanes). More recently, they bet the company on the successful launch of the B747 and everyone knew what as at stake. When the inevitable problems and delays occurred, they were met with an absolutely fierce determination to identify the problems and correct them There was no hint of technical arrogance, no we'll iterate this problem away later, or, you won't care. And even that laser-focus would not have been enough to save them except for outside forces sweeping the airline industry that could have just as easily gone the other way. They didn't, Boeing prevailed, and the 747 was a huge success.
I think like Boeing, Tesla has bet the company on Model 3. On one side of that bet is a new, major American auto manufacturer. On the other side, a niche builder of luxury EV's for a limited market of wealthy friends and fans (and, perhaps, large commercial trucks). I hope that as the inevitable problems and delays occur with Model 3 (and they are inevitable), the company is able to take a good, hard look at itself in the mirror (no distortion fields allowed), and do exactly what Boeing did.
Robin

Kinda awe inspiring to think that even in the absence of Russian hacking and Chinese industrial espionage, there are still plenty of fellow Americans /Westerners willing to shoot each other in the foot.

And for what? A few dollars more? Bragging rights?

What's that old saying about a house divided against itself?

In Tesla’s case though, it’s not just one or two broad statements. It’s pretty consistent, quarter after quarter for several years, of claims that don’t come true. Again I would give a lot of slack for a few of these, but I’ve never seen missed guidance to this level before.

Regarding production rates, not a single one has been met.

This is a key point I don’t understand how short sellers keep missing. Let’s look at Space-X (another Elon company).

They have a goal of beginning Mars colonization by 2024. According to your logic, they will be a failure if they don’t begin Mars colonization until 2026.

Do you see the problem?

Let’s try again:

Company A sets a goal of 1M cars sales of a new model by next year.

Company B sets a goal of 500k sales of an identical model in 10 years.

Company A misses and it takes 3 years.

Company B comes in ahead of schedule and does it in 7 years.

According to you, company A is a massive failure and Company B is a big success.

Do you see the problem yet?

How can I make it more clear?

If Tesla is failing against their own goals, every other car company is failing by an order of magnitude more against Tesla’s goals.

Do you understand now why dinging Tesla for not meeting its own goals is ludicrous and laughable?

Last edited:
I do not believe you. More precisely, I do not believe whoever told you that. For one thing, Tesla is notoriously secretive about details of what is or isn't working, because it'
One of the stabilizing factors in Tesla is...Elon.

If things get tight, he seems more than willing to put much, or all of his significant personal wealth. He has a tremendously large checkbook and is all in with his projects.

This, among so many other things makes Tesla a unique company.

The faithful have made huge financial gains. Many have paid completely for their Tesla's with some of their profits.

For the most parts, selling Tesla short has cost millions to those betting against Tesla. The pain has been intense.

Many short sellers have even published made up negative stories, or taken a grain of truth and posted that it would be the death of the company. To me, this is plain evil. Foisting fake news to try to stem their losses. They live by causing pain to others. They rejoice if someone gets killed in an accident. Look forward to a crash or someone leaving the company. They get happy when an employee gets hurt, or the parking situation gets tough at the plant. If a fake competitor comes out with a EV, copying Tesla's proven concepts they call that a Tesla Killer. Most often these fake cars never make it to production.

The goal of Elon is to improve the lives of humanity by cleaning up the urban air, reducing traffic congestion with the boring company, or taking us to the stars with SpaceX. People trying to hurt someone working hard to make a better world are a bit sad.
100% Agreed, we hope Elon never, ever leaves.

Reactions: MacRocket
How can I make it more clear?

Don't waste your time. These shorters know all that too well.

Their job is to spread FUD and lies in the hope that the naive would start selling or shorting. Elon can miss all his goals, and be late in everyone of them. It doesn't matter. He is still way ahead of the pack.

Once again this proves there are NO innocent short sellers. Every short seller is looking to do whatever they can to spread lies and exaggerate to kill the company. Evil.

I am surprised he is not kicked out yet.

And he failed miserably, so is back to Tweeting master Spiegel on Twitter instead. I feel dirty for even looking at his Twitter profile. His latest Tweet shows the roof of an unidentified Model 3 which could have been produced at any time, insinuating some bad panel gaps. Living in the past instead of focusing on the present and future seems to be his method and that of many shorts. Must be funny seeing the world through a pinhole or rear-view mirror and ignoring the bigger picture entirely.

And he failed miserably, so is back to Tweeting master Spiegel on Twitter instead. I feel dirty for even looking at his Twitter profile. His latest Tweet shows the roof of an unidentified Model 3 which could have been produced at any time, insinuating some bad panel gaps. Living in the past instead of focusing on the present and future seems to be his method and that of many shorts. Must be funny seeing the world through a pinhole or rear-view mirror and ignoring the bigger picture entirely.
The M3 I tweeted was delivered late last week, which indicates to me that the quality control issues are not resolved.

• Funny
Reactions: neroden
Don't waste your time. These shorters know all that too well.

Their job is to spread FUD and lies in the hope that the naive would start selling or shorting. Elon can miss all his goals, and be late in everyone of them. It doesn't matter. He is still way ahead of the pack.

Once again this proves there are NO innocent short sellers. Every short seller is looking to do whatever they can to spread lies and exaggerate to kill the company. Evil.

I am surprised he is not kicked out yet.
Look into the timing of the capital raise in August compared to the M3 production guidance and you will see the straw that’s about to break the camel’s back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure if these questions have been answered previously. Apologies if they have.

1) Are there any short sellers who have test driven a Tesla?

2) Are there any short sellers that actually own a Tesla?

One last comment.

If you are short please cover now. You are in grave danger. Many on this forun have issued this same message. We are not joking.

I believe the main reason most of us are taking the time to explain Tesla financials and issue these warnings is that we genuinely don’t like seeing people get hurt.

No one ever answered my questions.

Sigh.....

Reactions: neroden
I have been following Tesla news and investing in Tesla for years, Bears always giving out "excellent" points why Tesla will "Bankwupt"

1. Model 3 can't ramp up -- bankwupt
2. Model 3 ramping up too fast, will cost a lot -- bankwupt
3. Model S X avg selling price close $100K, too expensive nobody want it -- bankwupt
4. Model 3 lowest model at $35K , too cheap can't profit -- bankwupt
5. Major Auto makers don't give a sh!t about EV, no future -- bankwupt
6. Major Auto makers will bring in 5, 6 , 7 ..... 10 new EV models in 2020 , 2022 , competition in on -- bankwupt
7. Porsche Mission E will come to market in 2019, bet Model S ( base on 2012 spec ) -- bankwupt
8. BMW will stop i3 and i8 go for pure EV -- bankwupt
9. Major Auto makers won't waste money on battery factory like Tesla -- bankwupt
10. VW and Benz will spend billions of dollar on battery factory to compete with Tesla -- bankwupt
11. Major Auto makers don't need to waste money charging station network -- bankwupt
12. Major Auto makers now investing tons of money in charging station network together -- bankwupt
13. If Benz BMW VW Toyota can't accomplish , sure Tesla can't -- bankwupt
14. Elon on twitter, he waste too much time on that sh!t -- bankwupt
15. Elon not on twitter, something really bad must be going with Tesla -- bankwupt
16. No matter what !! I don't fxxking care! -- bankwupt

Have fun shorts

The M3 I tweeted was delivered late last week, which indicates to me that the quality control issues are not resolved.

Do you have proof of that, or an image source? Not that it really matters too much. I mean, I don't think anybody is pretending the quality control has been completely resolved. But I do think it's clear that it has improved. 1 data point isn't particularly useful in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited: