Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi, I’m a short seller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed Elon’s comment on Twitter today about an update to the Superchargers, anyone know where the capital for this is going to come from? While we’re talking about updates to existing products, when does the battery swap get rolled out, or the solar shingles?
The supercharger update capital will come from massive Model 3 sales, where did you think? Battery swap was rolled out years ago, didn't have much uptake, and was stopped again; that's a perfectly sound business decision. And there are solar tile roofs being installed as we type. In other words, your post is trolling, and full of misinformation. Mod: last warning. Misinformation will not be tolerated. --ggr.

I noticed Elon’s comment on Twitter today about an update to the Superchargers, anyone know where the capital for this is going to come from? While we’re talking about updates to existing products, when does the battery swap get rolled out, or the solar shingles?

Stick to facts and evidence and reason, including giving links or other citations for your statements, or your unsupported FUD will only constitute bull evidence wherein the bear is unable to find anything plausible or persuasive to say and so can only resort to unsupported or directly false claims.

Reactions: Blup85
when does the battery swap get rolled out,
I am scratching my head as to why you would even bring battery swap into this discussion?

M3 cars are made by hand; the more they sell the more they lose; Gigafactory is Potemkin village - these kind of cliched one liners might get brownie points in your short bear world. Over here you will get ridiculed or worse ignored.

Your question about where will Tesla get money for Superchargers is reasonable, although you already knew the answer.

My question though is, where will Tesla get money to build a factory for Y or Semi?

Battery swap has officially been ended because not feasible as you would have to go back to pick your own battery. Solar shingles are being rolled out to Tesla and SpaceX employees first as is usual practice.

Lets save him some time, shall we?
Ddq2MiaVAAAY8Fm.jpg:large

Battery swap has officially been ended because not feasible as you would have to go back to pick your own battery. Solar shingles are being rolled out to Tesla and SpaceX employees first as is usual practice.
Actually to non-employee early adopters. We'd have had ours by now, but the economics of replacing our existing solar didn't make sense.

Reactions: bambam4171
Could you extend on that? What specifically do you think is supported by a review of TSLA financials?
the entire short thesis

Tesla requires a capital infusion, if they totally stack the deck and sell every single one of their backlogged high margin 68k model 3's in Q3 2018, then MAYBE they can be cash flow positive for 1 quarter (paying zero suppliers that quarter obv).

But that isnt sustainable, i mean even your Lord Elon said the 35k car cant be made at a profit. Which is what bears said a long time ago and you guys fought it then. A company burning 2-3B a year and producing a product that both sucks and isnt profitable.

Quite the company the worship

At low volume. If you are volume limited, it is financially sound to make a profit of 10k per car instead of 5k. If you double the build rate, then the 5k produces the same gross profit as the 10k did previously.

View attachment 302938

Think about this statement for a minute.

3-6 months in Elon world usually means never, but lets just pretend and say 6 months.

6 months at 5k per week = 130,000 cars

Have you done any research on how big the mid-size luxury car market is? I say mid size because thats what 50k+ gets you.

It seems like every bull case just assumes unlimited demand.

Think about this statement for a minute.

3-6 months in Elon world usually means never, but lets just pretend and say 6 months.

6 months at 5k per week = 130,000 cars

Have you done any research on how big the mid-size luxury car market is? I say mid size because thats what 50k+ gets you.

It seems like every bull case just assumes unlimited demand.

I may have confused you with my arbitrary numbers (and lack of $). My statement was $5k/ $10k per car, not 5k/10k cars per week.

The 35k version with EAP will have great GM, so I'm not seeing a problem...

Reactions: neroden
I don't know where to find this info, I'm asking sincerely:
The Chevrolet Bolt is often brought up as a peer of the Tesla M3. Exactly how many base, un-optioned $37,500.00 Bolts have been made and/or sold?
Follow-up question: Has anyone ever asked GM this?
Follow-up follow-up: If #1 is low, OR #2 is No, why is Tesla being so scrutinized about the $35,000.00 trim M3 ...daily?

Reactions: neroden
I don't know where to find this info, I'm asking sincerely:
The Chevrolet Bolt is often brought up as a peer of the Tesla M3. Exactly how many base, un-optioned $37,500.00 Bolts have been made and/or sold?
Follow-up question: Has anyone ever asked GM this?
Follow-up follow-up: If #1 is low, OR #2 is No, why is Tesla being so scrutinized about the $35,000.00 trim M3 ...daily?
Good questions. First, GM reportedly loses money on each one, but that’s OK because they earn billions from the rest of the cars they sell. Tesla doesn’t have that luxury. I have not really dove into it since I have no position in GM. I will say that if you absolutely must have a BEV and $50K is out of your budget, you would probably be looking at the Bolt or the Leaf. On the 3rd point, Elon made a whole presentation on the M3 starting at $35K then accepted hundreds of millions in deposits. After the deposits rolled in, its suddenly not $35K anymore. GM didn’t do this.

On the 3rd point, Elon made a whole presentation on the M3 starting at $35K then accepted hundreds of millions in deposits. After the deposits rolled in, its suddenly not $35K anymore. GM didn’t do this.

M3 is a BMW trademark and should not be used to refer to the Tesla Model 3.

Model 3 competes against compact luxury cars, all of which start at around 35k and rise in price very quickly when optioned. Most people in the market for a car of this class know that the base price does not represent what most buyers will pay.