Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage check-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
110,000 miles here, mostly trouble free. We replaced a seat belt wiring harness and needed now bushings on the front control arms. About $350 out of pocket.

Attachments

• Model3_range.JPG
    Model3_range.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
@Big Earl seems to not be responding to the query so I’ll let you guys know it cost him about $3500 to install the refurbished rear motor, they wanted to charge him $1500 core fee to take his old motor, but he went back later and told me they didn’t end up charging him for it.

The issue that caused the need for repair was an isolation error. A certain amount of electricity was bleeding through and was detected by diagnostics, it let him drive, but he had a 17 hour trip home and the SvC didn’t think it would continue to let him drive all the way home.

up buying a MYP and will continue to put the 50k/yr on a Prius. I'm going to drive the Tesla 15k/yr

A few times a week I drive 120 miles round trip (like your commute) to go surfing, and FSDb does 99% of the work. I can't imagine doing it in a car that doesn't drive itself.

Can you elaborate on why you do that in the Prius instead of the Tesla?
I used to work 80 hours weeks in NYC as a lawyer. I now teach physics and math, which is a huge improvement
That sounds like the happy ending of many books in which a spy or lawyer becomes a teacher. Congrats on a smart decision.

Reactions: Physicslawyer
A few times a week I drive 120 miles round trip (like your commute) to go surfing, and FSDb does 99% of the work. I can't imagine doing it in a car that doesn't drive itself.

Can you elaborate on why you do that in the Prius instead of the Tesla?

That sounds like the happy ending of many books in which a spy or lawyer becomes a teacher. Congrats on a smart decision.
The Prius can hold up to 50k/yr. With the Tesla, that could result in a new battery or a drive unit in two years for another 10k to 20k. That's more of a risk than I'm willing to take right now. We need more data on high mileage M3 and MY to see how the drive units and batteries hold up. There are too many stories about needing replacements.

Reactions: PianoAl
2023 M3P, 13K miles in just 6 months, zero issues, needs two new (Pirelli) tires due to huge bulges in sidewalls, 2.6% battery degradation
2023 MYP, 4.5K miles in just a month, stopped SC charging on our recent road trip, possibly needs new DC module :confused:

That’s some exceptional mileage! How much did the drive unit replacement cost you? How did it behave before?
$3,700 out the door for a remanufactured drive unit. It performed like-new right before it started throwing error codes for low high voltage isolation and went into limp mode, and it performs the same with the new drive unit.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: KenC and Hiline
Did you need to replace the battery? Same question about the drive unit cost. Have you had any other repairs?
Still on the original battery, which shows around 275 miles of rated range at 100%. Other repairs include the DC fast charging contactors last winter and the AC compressor early on when the car was under warranty.

2018 LR-RWD
70,656 mi
Original motor and pack.
Charging: 13.2% of charges done on superchargers, remaining 86.8% on L2 (240V at 40A).
Range: TeslaFi's estimating 269.31 mi for a full charge, which is below the fleet average of 286.11 mi. Personally, I think its a non-issue. The relatively low distance displayed v. SOC isn't necessarily an indicator of actual battery degradation--its (more) likely a symptom of the BMS going out of calibration. If the low range is the product of a truly "dead" cell I'd expect to get a BMS fault code (not unlike the BMS_u029 errors that've been cropping up on some Classic S's). Not really worth going thru the effort to recalibrate the BMS or even charge the car to 100% to see what the "actual" distance display value. Personally, I just keep the range display in percent mode and enjoy the car.

battery_test.png

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and israndy
2018 LR RWD 70,481 miles.

Both control arms replaced under warranty.
12v Battery replaced under warranty.
Charge door stopped working recently. Replaced for $273.40
Ripped rear fabric under panel. Replaced myself with aluminum ones, $500

Lifetime premium connectivity has been nice.
Update at 137,922 miles. Rear drive unit replaced under warranty with no cost to me. Original battery and have not perceived much loss in range at all. Love the car still.

Update at 137,922 miles. Rear drive unit replaced under warranty with no cost to me. Original battery and have not perceived much loss in range at all. Love the car still.

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like the rear drive unit is a common replacement item for this model. Do you know at what mileage yours got replaced? What error codes did you get?