Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage check-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
odel 3 units came out only 7 years ago, but I bet you people are already researching the best way to salvage and replace these batteries.
I don't see any reason to worry about our early-2018 Model 3 with over 250K miles on it now. There's no reason to think that anything that exists today would have any resemblance to what will be around in 5 or 10 years, when there does start to be market for replacement batteries. By then, it will start becoming common and, likely, folks will start addressing the needs and new options will appear as the business starts to make sense.

I don't see any reason to worry about our early-2018 Model 3 with over 250K miles on it now. There's no reason to think that anything that exists today would have any resemblance to what will be around in 5 or 10 years, when there does start to be market for replacement batteries. By then, it will start becoming common and, likely, folks will start addressing the needs and new options will appear as the business starts to make sense.
That’s a super optimistic attitude that I envy. I’m about to hit 100,000 miles on my 2019 Model 3, and I’m starting to freak out. I’ll be at 120,000 miles in about a year.

74k on 2018 M3LR with 1 change of tires, charge door repair, 12V battery replacement, wipers, cabin filter. Used to buy a different car every 2-3 years. Have stuck with this since COVID started (2020) and plan on running to high mileage. Still maintain my other ICE cars. So nice to not have to deal with all the hoses, fluids, belts, etc... Tesla-Fi is great to look at all the numbers.

I enjoyed reading through this revived thread. There's so much to learn from others and hopefully other high mileage owners will contribute! I'm hopeful my car will last 12-15 years but who knows. That would put me around 200K-225K miles at that point so I'm hoping for the best. Here's some facts about my moderate mileage 2020 SR+

-57,100 on the odometer
-No major issues. Only work I've done is changed air cabin filter once (by myself), filled washer fluid (by myself), and got some new tires at about 40K miles. Still hasn't seen the inside of a service center (knock on wood)
- My 2020 SR+ battery was supposed to be a 250 mi range one but it never came close to showing that. The most it ever showed on screen was 240. I questioned Tesla on that and they said it was normal (shocker). Right now I'm showing 216 at a full charge which would be a 10% degradation against the 240 number and a 14% degradation against the 250 number. This would be the most worrying thing about the longevity of the car to me. Battery degradation! The only positive I can find is that the capacity loss has tapered off. The great majority of the range loss was in the 1st year and I've hardly lost anything since (knock on wood)
- Paint is still in pretty good shape! I know that is a knock on these vehicles but I have the white paint and it seems to hide some of the chips. Or maybe I'm just not OCD about it. Whatever
- My only small regret is getting the SR+ with FSD instead of the AWD version without FSD. They were about the same price and I chose the FSD technology which I hardly ever use because I can't trust it yet. Not something I go crazy about, but just a small regret. I still have plenty of range for my daily commute (and I've even driven it across the country no problem) but it would be nice to have the extra cycles in the main battery as the car ages. Oh well

Im waiting for v12 how long does it usually take to leave beta? Or is beta the only option for FSD?
V12 is about the same as v11 and will remain that way so wouldn’t worry about a particular version.

As long as you always expect to be driving the car (Fully YourSelf Driving) you cannot be disappointed.

You might give FSD another chance. It's something you can learn to love. For example, you can disengage every time you come to a tricky situation.
FSD is definitely a love/hate relationship with me (mostly hate). It just makes mistakes far too often for me to want to use it. I don’t need another thing to babysit when I can just drive the thing. Even when it “works” it’s not nearly as efficient as when I drive it. Hard stops and starts are the norm if it even thinks there might be a car cutting in front. Sometimes it hesitates for no reason and it’s just jarring for myself or passengers.

When it works, it’s amazing. It just rarely works so I don’t generally deal with it

I’ve bought a couple of used Model 3 Long Range units. After some further use, they’re both around 90k miles. The 2018 RWD has a 280-285 mile range, and the 2022 AWD has 315-320. It seems true that battery degradation near flatlines after a point, and in the cases I’ve observed, around 13%.

I’ve bought a couple of used Model 3 Long Range units. After some further use, they’re both around 90k miles. The 2018 RWD has a 280-285 mile range, and the 2022 AWD has 315-320. It seems true that battery degradation near flatlines after a point, and in the cases I’ve observed, around 13%.
How long does that flatline last though? I know the battery will eventually hit 20% - 30% loss at some point

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy