Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage check-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen some people with 30%+ loss that have 300k miles

So I’m wondering at what point does it start losing again, maybe 200k miles?

You mean in real life or on a forum somewhere? If the latter, can you share a link? A Model 3 can be at most 6 years old at this point, so I have not even heard of one near 200k miles, let alone 300k.

Reactions: Stanwood Steve
You mean in real life or on a forum somewhere? If the latter, can you share a link? A Model 3 can be at most 6 years old at this point, so I have not even heard of one near 200k miles, let alone 300k.

This person has 32% loss at 369k

There was also another person I saw I think on Reddit don’t remember where it is now but he had similar numbers

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hiline

This person has 32% loss at 369k

There was also another person I saw I think on Reddit don’t remember where it is now but he had similar numbers

This is super helpful - thank you for sharing! I think it is also worth noting that all the 369k miles expended on the battery appear to be from supercharging, since 2,500 supercharges * 40kWh per charge * 4 miles per kWh = 400,000 miles.

This is super helpful - thank you for sharing! I think it is also worth noting that all the 369k miles expended on the battery appear to be from supercharging, since 2,500 supercharges * 40kWh per charge * 4 miles per kWh = 400,000 miles.
Yea im just wondering when the 13% flat line started dropping again because it had to at some point between 100k and 369k miles

Yea im just wondering when the 13% flat line started dropping again because it had to at some point between 100k and 369k miles
Yeah maybe the flat line isn't exactly flat. Let's say the car went from 13% at 90k miles to 32% at 370k miles. This means the battery degraded by 0.68% per 10k miles, or 2% per 30k miles, which can easily be buried by the battery reading volatility.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
The car still has 220-230 miles of range. I’d say don’t touch the battery and keep driving the car. May last another 100k-200k miles. A new battery ain’t cheap.
The battery is supposed to outlast the tinware .... I think that the most impressive thing about Tesla, is not how long the drivetrain lasts, but how well a car from a new manufacturer stands to to such high mileage

The battery is supposed to outlast the tinware .... I think that the most impressive thing about Tesla, is not how long the drivetrain lasts, but how well a car from a new manufacturer stands to to such high mileage

Elon Musk said the body should last a million miles, so I assume the body is going to outlast the battery :)

And yes, the Model S has proven to be extremely durable notwithstanding the fact it was the first mass manufactured Tesla model. The Model 3 is certainly going to last even longer. Given enough time for battle testing, Tesla may overtake Toyota for the most reliable and durable vehicles. 369k miles is already pretty impressive.

Where it get's tricky is when a minority of the cells will bottom out. I know several people who have high mileage cars and they don't dare let them get below 10% as they may jump to 0% while they are stopped at a light. I guess you could put into the BMS to never let the pack get below a certain number before the battery gives up in a home use situation

Late 2018 dual motor LR with about 85k miles. Besides tires I have had to replace one cracked windshield, one 12V battery, two right rear taillights and one right side repeater. Haven't bothered to measure battery degradation.

Something is creaking in the steering in the morning, but I haven't had it looked at yet.

Where it get's tricky is when a minority of the cells will bottom out. I know several people who have high mileage cars and they don't dare let them get below 10% as they may jump to 0% while they are stopped at a light. I guess you could put into the BMS to never let the pack get below a certain number before the battery gives up in a home use situation
That worries me, how old and how many miles were on these cars you know of

How common is this car dropping from 10% to 0% without warning? Does it happen to all high mile cars?
I didn't think that was a high mileage car thing, but rather a LFP thing. LFP batteries have such a tiny range of operating voltages that it's near impossible to accurately measure its exact state of charge. Regular calibration is necessary, hence the weekly slow-charge-to-100% guidance. The uncalibrated BMS on an LFP battery can think it's at 10% when it's actually almost dead.

I didn't think that was a high mileage car thing, but rather a LFP thing. LFP batteries have such a tiny range of operating voltages that it's near impossible to accurately measure its exact state of charge. Regular calibration is necessary, hence the weekly slow-charge-to-100% guidance. The uncalibrated BMS on an LFP battery can think it's at 10% when it's actually almost dead.
It's a battery thing, not necessarily a LFP thing. Using the classical definition of a battery: "a number of similar articles, items, or devices arranged, connected, or used together"*, where the battery is a bunch of cells, all working together to form a larger power source.
A battery is generally as weak as its weakest cell, unless, of course, there are ways to bypass a particular cell or set (string, sheet, etc) of them. With thousands of them, if one is bad, it can cause these problems. They are somewhat rare and may require the replacement of some. It's fairly rare but has happened on NMC and other cell chemistries.

Definitely not a good idea to run an old battery down below 10%.

* Merriam Webster definition #5

It's a battery thing, not necessarily a LFP thing. Using the classical definition of a battery: "a number of similar articles, items, or devices arranged, connected, or used together"*, where the battery is a bunch of cells, all working together to form a larger power source.
A battery is generally as weak as its weakest cell, unless, of course, there are ways to bypass a particular cell or set (string, sheet, etc) of them. With thousands of them, if one is bad, it can cause these problems. They are somewhat rare and may require the replacement of some. It's fairly rare but has happened on NMC and other cell chemistries.

Definitely not a good idea to run an old battery down below 10%.

* Merriam Webster definition #5
What’s considered an old battery in a tesla

You say it’s rare though? Even for old batteries?

Some numbers from TeslaFi

Last Saturday night I drove Uber for 6 hours in my 2020 Model 3 SR+. This was on free-flowing roads in Canberra, mostly at 80km/h (50mph), with air con running at 18degC, basically the same temperature as outside. The odometer went from 257,689km at 10:30pm (100% SoC inc half an hour of balancing) to 257,948km at 4:40am (6% SoC). So 94% of my battery pack gave me 259km of moderately strenuous night driving.
1709530083423.png

Immediately after that, I added 74% back into my battery (from 6% to 80%) using 32.8kWh of power (which took 4h26m). Divide by 74, multiply by 100, and that suggests my 50kWh battery pack can hold 44.3kWh, so 11.4% degradation. Meh.

Reactions: Bouba
What’s considered an old battery in a tesla

You say it’s rare though? Even for old batteries?
Tesla probably has good data, I don't. I'm sure with all of the batteries, there are probably statistical models someone at Tesla has developed.
Personally, I've driven over 400,000 EV miles in EVs as old as 16 years old with as many as 150,000 miles on them. We saw it happen on our old 16 year old Roadster 1.5 (~60K miles) when it got low. It would go into limp mode (top speed ~40 mph) when it got below about 10% SoC so we quit letting it go so low for a while. We recently replaced its battery.
13 year old Leaf with over 120K miles is still doing ok.
12 year old Model S is doing ok. We try to charge it before it gets too low but it has gone down to below 5% without issue.
I wouldn't worry about predicting it. Things break. That's why we have AAA towing service and cellphones. Haven't used it yet though (except for a blown tire once and actually running out of charge at 0% indicated SoC before there were Superchargers everywhere).

Tesla probably has good data, I don't. I'm sure with all of the batteries, there are probably statistical models someone at Tesla has developed.
Personally, I've driven over 400,000 EV miles in EVs as old as 16 years old with as many as 150,000 miles on them. We saw it happen on our old 16 year old Roadster 1.5 (~60K miles) when it got low. It would go into limp mode (top speed ~40 mph) when it got below about 10% SoC so we quit letting it go so low for a while. We recently replaced its battery.
13 year old Leaf with over 120K miles is still doing ok.
12 year old Model S is doing ok. We try to charge it before it gets too low but it has gone down to below 5% without issue.
I wouldn't worry about predicting it. Things break. That's why we have AAA towing service and cellphones. Haven't used it yet though (except for a blown tire once and actually running out of charge at 0% indicated SoC before there were Superchargers everywhere).
It just started happening on the roadster at 16 years old or did you noticing it happening before then?