Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Power Wall Charger - Tesla recommends temporarily cutting amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have changed the HPWC once or twice. The rumor I heard was a UL listing issue related to semi-protected-from-the-climate installation locations (I'm thinking "carport").

The original picture of the HPWC on the website had a C-shaped hook attached to the lower portion of the HPWC, so the cable spooled directly beneath the HPWC. The "newer" picture (as shown in the screenshot above), has the hook-and-handle-cradle off to the right side (a separate piece from the HPWC), so the loop of cable is off to the right of the HPWC.

That said, the screenshot says "early" yet shows what I claim to be "newer", which means there may be an updated HPWC even newer yet. And the newest HPWC may be visually identical, in any case.

I don't have my HPWC yet, so I'm only semi-informed.

OK, so mine went in today. Tried at 80A, breaker went in a couple minutes. Dialed back to 70 in software, 10 minutes or so. Went down to 60A and got about an hour before it once again tripped.

I pulled the panel off and set the switches to limit it to 80A line (so it would charge at 64A) then set the Model S to pull at 60A -- hopefully this will make it until morning.

Anyone else have issues with the line tripping even at 60? I didn't get a popup on my screen either (and I'm on 4.3)

Hey AO,

I haven't had any issues here. I don't think what you are seeing is the same as the notice though. The notice seems to be an issue where the HPWC blows the fuses internal to itself. If I read your description right it sounds like you house breaker is tripping. Any chance that your home breaker is just faulty? (I've seen plenty of these in RV parks and the like).

Peter

OK, so mine went in today. Tried at 80A, breaker went in a couple minutes. Dialed back to 70 in software, 10 minutes or so. Went down to 60A and got about an hour before it once again tripped.

I pulled the panel off and set the switches to limit it to 80A line (so it would charge at 64A) then set the Model S to pull at 60A -- hopefully this will make it until morning.

Anyone else have issues with the line tripping even at 60? I didn't get a popup on my screen either (and I'm on 4.3)

*sigh* just checked the app and it did it again.

Hey AO,

I haven't had any issues here. I don't think what you are seeing is the same as the notice though. The notice seems to be an issue where the HPWC blows the fuses internal to itself. If I read your description right it sounds like you house breaker is tripping. Any chance that your home breaker is just faulty? (I've seen plenty of these in RV parks and the like).

Peter

Hmm, not sure. I do know that before this I had a Nema 14-50 on the same panel with no issue. I'll call the electrician back tomorrow.

Question on HPWC install, breakers and settings. About to install my HPWC in my 100A Subpanel in the garage, which currently houses my NEMA 14-50 on a 50A breaker. Since the subpanel comes off my main panel, which is a 200A service split into two separate 100A main breakers, I don't want to set the HPWC for a full 80A draw, as that would only leave 20A for the rest of the house (or half of it, anyway). Someday I will upgrade that main panel to a single 200A breaker, which will allow me to set the HPWC for potential maximum 80A draw. Because of the fuse issue and this limitation, I want to limit my draw to 60A.

So my question is this: can I install a 100A breaker in my subpanel and wire this to the HPWC, and then set the dip switches to 60A? I could then set the draw rate in the car to less than 60A, saving the 60A for when I need a faster charge, and ensuring I don't trip the split 100A main for the remaining 40A in half of the house. Or should I be matching the breaker to the dip switch setting, and only install a 60A breaker?

FlasherZ, I saw earlier that you said limiting the HPWC to 60A via the dip switches would be fine. Was that assuming the HPWC was wired to a 100A-breaker?

I don't want to introduce any safety issues here. I am fine living with a reduced breaker size for the HPWC, I could even live with a 50A for that matter. But I do have twin chargers and would love to be able to dial it up if the situation arises where I need a fast charge. What size breaker should I put this on in my subpanel? My electrician seemed to indicate that the 100A would be fine, especially if we could limit the HPWC or car as needed.

Question on HPWC install, breakers and settings. About to install my HPWC in my 100A Subpanel in the garage, which currently houses my NEMA 14-50 on a 50A breaker. Since the subpanel comes off my main panel, which is a 200A service split into two separate 100A main breakers, I don't want to set the HPWC for a full 80A draw, as that would only leave 20A for the rest of the house (or half of it, anyway). Someday I will upgrade that main panel to a single 200A breaker, which will allow me to set the HPWC for potential maximum 80A draw. Because of the fuse issue and this limitation, I want to limit my draw to 60A.

So my question is this: can I install a 100A breaker in my subpanel and wire this to the HPWC, and then set the dip switches to 60A? I could then set the draw rate in the car to less than 60A, saving the 60A for when I need a faster charge, and ensuring I don't trip the split 100A main for the remaining 40A in half of the house. Or should I be matching the breaker to the dip switch setting, and only install a 60A breaker?

FlasherZ, I saw earlier that you said limiting the HPWC to 60A via the dip switches would be fine. Was that assuming the HPWC was wired to a 100A-breaker?

I don't want to introduce any safety issues here. I am fine living with a reduced breaker size for the HPWC, I could even live with a 50A for that matter. But I do have twin chargers and would love to be able to dial it up if the situation arises where I need a fast charge. What size breaker should I put this on in my subpanel? My electrician seemed to indicate that the 100A would be fine, especially if we could limit the HPWC or car as needed.

Good questions.....I'm not an electrician but I play one on TV. I think you will be fine leaving it at 80A. Remember the HPWC is not working continuously at 80A. It will probably only run around 3-4 hours at any given time so I think you are okay. The more amps you pull the less time it will be working. Also with the latest 4.3 update you can set the timer when there's less draw on the 100A breaker.

Until your last few lines I was thinking why have a HPWC if you're not going to utilize the max charging. You will find the HPWC a great charger even at 60A which is the limiter right now.

- - - Updated - - -

When my fuses went the breaker was fine. For me, all symptoms pointed to an HPWC issue rather than a box, breaker, or wiring issue.

Yes the fuses in the HPWC are very sensitive and blow very easily. I read somewhere that Tesla will be picking up the cost when the "hardware" fix is available in June. I saw a youtube presentation from their head electrical engineer who was speaking to grad students at Stanford Univ. and was talking about the engineering of the batteries and the charging system. Wonder if he knew about this problem. This guy had impressive credentials but I guess no one is perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Had my HPWC installed this week with a 100A breaker. Car is charging at 60A and no breakers are tripping.

Thanks UMD86. Are your dip switches set for 100A breaker, and the car is set to draw 60A? The installation guide for the HPWC indicates that the dip switches should be set to match the breaker, but I am wondering if it is OK to set them *less* than the breaker rating.

Thanks UMD86. Are your dip switches set for 100A breaker, and the car is set to draw 60A? The installation guide for the HPWC indicates that the dip switches should be set to match the breaker, but I am wondering if it is OK to set them *less* than the breaker rating.

My DIPS are set at 100A. Yes, the car is set (By Tesla) to pull a max of 60A for now.

Since the device is rated for 100A, you can place it on a 100A breaker but use a lower draw via DIP switches without any issue whatsoever.

Just an FYI, the DIP switch is just setting the "pilot signal", which tells the car the maximum amperage available from the EVSE, so you can always set it lower than your breaker, but never set it higher than the breaker (since it could advertise more current than your circuit can support, most likely tripping your circuit breaker)

The "pilot signal" is a 1000Hz square wave, with different "duty cycles" that advertises the current available to the car, see the link below for a detailed explanation of the J-1772 pilot signal

http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/J1772Basics

Since the device is rated for 100A, you can place it on a 100A breaker but use a lower draw via DIP switches without any issue whatsoever.

Thanks FlasherZ, I will install on a 100A breaker and set the DIP switches to 60A, to lower the risk of tripping the 100A breaker on my main panel, should that half of the house be simultaneously drawing more than 40A.

- - - Updated - - -

Just an FYI, the DIP switch is just setting the "pilot signal", which tells the car the maximum amperage available from the EVSE, so you can always set it lower than your breaker, but never set it higher than the breaker (since it could advertise more current than your circuit can support, most likely tripping your circuit breaker)

The "pilot signal" is a 1000Hz square wave, with different "duty cycles" that advertises the current available to the car, see the link below for a detailed explanation of the J-1772 pilot signal

http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/J1772Basics

Thanks for the explanation Mitch672, understanding what the DIP switch setting is actually doing in the EVSE really helps here, and confirms what my electrician suspected.

One of our local Model S owners, who has more a more recent 4.3 than my car does, stopped by to charge at my office. We now have 80A available here*, but when we plugged in it showed 60A.

I leaned in and dialed it up to 79A (for some reason the S always seems to stop 1 amp short on J1772). It popped a message warning against using 80A on an HPWC. Okay, thanks, but this isn't an HPWC. When I closed the message it defaulted back to 60A again. Grrr! I dialed it up AGAIN and this time it didn't complain, and the current ramped up to 78A.

(*Yes, really. I'm beta testing a new J1772 cable that permits 80A operation.)

(*Yes, really. I'm beta testing a new J1772 cable that permits 80A operation.)

I only have an ITT 75A cable, which mfr is coming out with this, can you say?

Yes, the 4.3 firmware ALWAYS resets my 75A OpenEVSE back to 60A on each plug in, and I have to go to the screen and manually move it back to 75A (getting the warning each time), it's really annoying, they should not assume everyone charging at higher currents is using a HPWC, or they should only show the warning once per location.

Since the breaker issue was rectified, I've been charging at 80 with no issue. I never got the dial-it-down screen, nor did I ever get an email. I'm going to assume my HPWC is one of the newer, fixed ones.