Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Wh/mi in city driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a question. What is your average Wh/mi driving in city stop and go traffic. Mine seems really high (mid 500's to high 500's). Just got the car 4 days ago and I'm curious. I'm not really stepping on it either.

It's been really hot in NYC lately and the A/C takes a lot of power to initially cool the car down. On longer trips the Wh/Mi will come down as you drive. Two suggestions: pre-cool the car while it is plugged in, before you drive; and turn off the rear a/c if you don't have passengers in the third row. It doesn't affect the 2nd row.(There is a separate a/c unit for the third row)

It's been really hot in NYC lately and the A/C takes a lot of power to initially cool the car down. On longer trips the Wh/Mi will come down as you drive. Two suggestions: pre-cool the car while it is plugged in, before you drive; and turn off the rear a/c if you don't have passengers in the third row. It doesn't affect the 2nd row.(There is a separate a/c unit for the third row)
I'll give it a try. Thanks.

I did 3 drives within San Francisco this morning on city streets and here are my stats along with a comparison to 3 longer distance freeway drives later in the evening.

(note that SF is very hilly and we live in a valley within the city and need to drive over hills both ways)

3 miles @388.5 Wh/mi (home to car wash) downhill but with lots of stops and turns
2.3 miles @642.1 Wh/mi (car wash to home) uphill in relatively clear city traffic
5.6 miles @ 431.3 Wh/mi (home to waterfront) in bumper to bumper traffic

after that, we drove out to the suburbs on freeways
41.2 miles @ 326.7 Wh/mi
and then to Alameda for dinner, mostly on freeways:
25.1 miles @ 257.5 Wh/mi
Alameda to home (SF) on freeways, again mostly on freeways:
18.2 miles @ 338 Wh/mi

• Informative
Reactions: Colby Boles
I did 3 drives within San Francisco this morning on city streets and here are my stats along with a comparison to 3 longer distance freeway drives later in the evening.

(note that SF is very hilly and we live in a valley within the city and need to drive over hills both ways)

3 miles @388.5 Wh/mi (home to car wash) downhill but with lots of stops and turns
2.3 miles @642.1 Wh/mi (car wash to home) uphill in relatively clear city traffic
5.6 miles @ 431.3 Wh/mi (home to waterfront) in bumper to bumper traffic

after that, we drove out to the suburbs on freeways
41.2 miles @ 326.7 Wh/mi
and then to Alameda for dinner, mostly on freeways:
25.1 miles @ 257.5 Wh/mi
Alameda to home (SF) on freeways, again mostly on freeways:
18.2 miles @ 338 Wh/mi

Thanks. In NY the roads are mostly flat but this helps. Looks like I need a bigger sample size.

I've been thinking the same thing. Live adjacent to chicago. City grid layout. Flat, flat, flat.

Commute is 8 miles. Most trips are 2-3 miles. Grocery store, dinner, etc. car does well on highway but my average is 420 wh/mile. A lot of that is city driving with AC on.

• Informative
Reactions: Rove
I have been noticing something strange, and a pattern that is almost consistent every single day. The wh/mile when I go from home to work (9 miles one way, and pretty flat) in the morning averages about 270, which is amazing every way I look at it. The same commute on the way back (hotter in the evenings over here) almost always, irrespective of the conditions, average closer to 400. My driving style is the same, not much traffic and takes the same amount of time each way. If the heat is the only explanation, I guess I get it, but I have tried without a/c, but it still is 400 or above!

I have been noticing something strange, and a pattern that is almost consistent every single day. The wh/mile when I go from home to work (9 miles one way, and pretty flat) in the morning averages about 270, which is amazing every way I look at it. The same commute on the way back (hotter in the evenings over here) almost always, irrespective of the conditions, average closer to 400. My driving style is the same, not much traffic and takes the same amount of time each way. If the heat is the only explanation, I guess I get it, but I have tried without a/c, but it still is 400 or above!

I have observed this as well. In my case, there is a very slight decline going from home to work and when I return, it goes "uphill." This is a very slight elevation change and I did not notice it before when I drove a traditional ICE. But in my X, even subtle elevation changes have an effect.