TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

High Wh/mi in city driving

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Rove, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Rove

Rove Member

Got a question. What is your average Wh/mi driving in city stop and go traffic. Mine seems really high (mid 500's to high 500's). Just got the car 4 days ago and I'm curious. I'm not really stepping on it either.

2. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

When a lot of time is spent in the car but not moving and then with the AC on, for example during a long conference call on the side of the road, Wh/mi will appear higher.

3. Rove

Rove Member

In my case,i am moving. I'm new to electric cars which is why I'm asking if such a high Wh/mile is normal

4. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

How many miles is your typical city trip?

5. Rove

Rove Member

pretty local- I would say 5-10 miles per trip.

6. ptsagcy

ptsagcy Member

It's been really hot in NYC lately and the A/C takes a lot of power to initially cool the car down. On longer trips the Wh/Mi will come down as you drive. Two suggestions: pre-cool the car while it is plugged in, before you drive; and turn off the rear a/c if you don't have passengers in the third row. It doesn't affect the 2nd row.(There is a separate a/c unit for the third row)

7. Rove

Rove Member

I'll give it a try. Thanks.

8. umeshunni

umeshunni Member

I did 3 drives within San Francisco this morning on city streets and here are my stats along with a comparison to 3 longer distance freeway drives later in the evening.

(note that SF is very hilly and we live in a valley within the city and need to drive over hills both ways)

3 miles @388.5 Wh/mi (home to car wash) downhill but with lots of stops and turns
    2.3 miles @642.1 Wh/mi (car wash to home) uphill in relatively clear city traffic
    5.6 miles @ 431.3 Wh/mi (home to waterfront) in bumper to bumper traffic

after that, we drove out to the suburbs on freeways
    41.2 miles @ 326.7 Wh/mi
    and then to Alameda for dinner, mostly on freeways:
    25.1 miles @ 257.5 Wh/mi
    Alameda to home (SF) on freeways, again mostly on freeways:
    18.2 miles @ 338 Wh/mi

• Informative x 1
  9. Rove

Rove Member

Thanks. In NY the roads are mostly flat but this helps. Looks like I need a bigger sample size.

10. Rove

Rove Member

so I think the culprit was the rear AC. I turned it off and my Wh/mile is much better. In a 15 mile drive today through the city, I ended up with around a 380 Wh/mi average.

Thanks for the help.

11. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

It should get better once you have about 1500 miles on the car too for tire break-in.

• Informative x 1
  12. mf66

mf66 Member

I've been thinking the same thing. Live adjacent to chicago. City grid layout. Flat, flat, flat.

Commute is 8 miles. Most trips are 2-3 miles. Grocery store, dinner, etc. car does well on highway but my average is 420 wh/mile. A lot of that is city driving with AC on.

• Informative x 1
  13. shadows

shadows Member

I have been noticing something strange, and a pattern that is almost consistent every single day. The wh/mile when I go from home to work (9 miles one way, and pretty flat) in the morning averages about 270, which is amazing every way I look at it. The same commute on the way back (hotter in the evenings over here) almost always, irrespective of the conditions, average closer to 400. My driving style is the same, not much traffic and takes the same amount of time each way. If the heat is the only explanation, I guess I get it, but I have tried without a/c, but it still is 400 or above!

14. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

The watts/mile is not accurate relative to rated miles lost for short drives. My experience is a 5 or 6 mile drive uses maybe 8 miles range even if the watts/mile is near rated.

15. joebob73

joebob73 Member

I have observed this as well. In my case, there is a very slight decline going from home to work and when I return, it goes "uphill." This is a very slight elevation change and I did not notice it before when I drove a traditional ICE. But in my X, even subtle elevation changes have an effect.