Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Higher value EVs not eligible for £3,000 PiCG (grant) anymore!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Removed - hadn't been keeping up with Super allowances... apologies.

Undone all disagrees hopefully.

Attachments

• 1616083555902.png
    1616083555902.png
    21 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I don’t understand the panic, the grant was always invisible in the price, you only ever saw it on the final invoice really. Who cares if the govt pays 3k or Tesla drops the price by 3k. What you pay is the same.

As it stands there has been no change in price. They can probably do this as currency has moved a bit in their favour (the pounds they get are worth more) and the Chinese factory is knocking out the cars at a lower cost.

Remember 3k is only about 7% of the price of a SR+ and 20% of the 3k is netted off by less VAT anyway. They have more than enough wiggle room to soak it up.

Reactions: Durzel
"100% first year allowances are currently available on brand new cars where emissions do not exceed 50g/km. This 100% allowance is being extended to April 2021.

From April 2021, the 100% first year allowance will only apply to zero emission cars."

"Cars bought from April 2018
Description of car What you can claim
New and unused, CO2 emissions are 50g/km or less (or car is electric) First year allowances
New and unused, CO2 emissions are between 50g/km and 110g/km Main rate allowances
Second hand, CO2 emissions are 110g/km or less (or car is electric) Main rate allowances
New or second hand, CO2 emissions are above 110g/km Special rate allowances"

easier to read
View attachment 645585
Yes there are 100% FYA on electric vehicles. Not disputing that.

The post was about the FYA super deduction (130%). Cars are excluded from that.

"100% first year allowances are currently available on brand new cars where emissions do not exceed 50g/km. This 100% allowance is being extended to April 2021.

From April 2021, the 100% first year allowance will only apply to zero emission cars."

"Cars bought from April 2018
Description of car What you can claim
New and unused, CO2 emissions are 50g/km or less (or car is electric) First year allowances
New and unused, CO2 emissions are between 50g/km and 110g/km Main rate allowances
Second hand, CO2 emissions are 110g/km or less (or car is electric) Main rate allowances
New or second hand, CO2 emissions are above 110g/km Special rate allowances"

easier to read
View attachment 645585

That's not 130% though, is it - i.e. the super deduction. It also says that scheme ends April 2021.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
I‘ll be surprised if the LR stays at its current price for long now the 50k barrier has gone. The price gap between the LR and Performance looks sillier than ever.
Logic would seem to dictate that it goes up to £49,990, to give Tesla back the £3,000 they're now losing. Will be interesting to see.. anything is possible, particularly as I don't think Tesla are short of customers.

Last time I looked I think the UK had one of the biggest gaps between LR and P pricing just about anywhere. So I wouldn’t be surprised to see the LR price get bumped up pretty soon. It has been the best value model for a while at current pricing, especially since they recently hiked the P price.

Interestingly as yet what just had the Aberdeen Tesla Rep phone me and basically said this had blindsided them and that it hasn't been cascaded down to them yet what the new pricing would be or if there would be incentives to some of the value. of the increase, (Though it might just have been a sales call to get me to buy this Qtr) Been decided to wait until the dust settles for my potential purchase. Might even wait until the end of QTR 2 to pick up a China made demo

Arghhh. Wait for a Y or swap a late 2019 m3lr for a new Lr! Really like the facelift! Heat pump etc. Won’t be a massive difference between selling old and buying new. Certainly under £10k

Depends how much you really want a Y. If you can do without the hatch then you save quite a bit of cash with a 3. But I don't think I would be swapping out a late 2019 car quite so early though, unless it has very big mileage/wear for its age. That's an expensive habit to get into for not very much real world benefit.

I agree with others, the LR looks the best value of the bunch.

Fair play to Tesla if they've swallowed the price difference, as it currently looks. But yes, the price difference up to the performance seems confusing now.

If they hadn't meant to discount the car, I would have thought it easier to not update the website in a rush since it always had a caveat on the grant. So it seems a genuine discount, while they work out what to do next and took the hit to prevent bad press. At the moment, no one can say that Tesla customers are hit by this.

Rather than wait and see, now is the time to order. Tesla have decided spur of the moment to eat the £3,000 but that may not last! And now that the artificial £50k barrier is no longer there, prices could go even higher.
Completely agree with you. They may have made that decision to get as much in before the end of the Q (boosting sales), and it wouldn't surprise me if the price hike comes shortly after to react to the grant.

Reactions: Jez_GB and rotor2k
Argh.

It’s not a discount. The prices haven’t changed from what they were yesterday.

The only thing that has changed now is that Tesla aren’t getting their extra £3,000 from the Government for SR+ or LR. Tesla are the ones that claim it, when they register the cars on the portal, like installers do with the OLEV grant.

The grant was already baked into the price on the website. If you ordered a SR+ or LR yesterday you paid £40.490 or £46,990 and that hasn’t changed today. Your order agreement would’ve said the price of the car was £43,490 or £49,990 respectively.

The large gap to the P is the same it’s always been (since the P price increase).

Although now that Tesla aren’t getting their extra £3k, I can’t see any reason they’d maintain the price as it is, on the LR at least. Especially if there’s more than enough demand.

Reactions: Jez_GB
Argh.

It’s not a discount. The prices haven’t changed from what they were yesterday.

The only thing that has changed now is that Tesla aren’t getting their extra £3,000 from the Government for SR+ or LR. Tesla are the ones that claim it, when they register the cars on the portal, like installers do with the OLEV grant.

The grant was already baked into the price on the website. If you ordered a SR+ or LR yesterday you paid £40.490 or £46,990 and that hasn’t changed today. Your order agreement would’ve said the price of the car was £43,490 or £49,990 respectively.

The large gap to the P is the same it’s always been (since the P price increase).

Although now that Tesla aren’t getting their extra £3k, I can’t see any reason they’d maintain the price as it is, on the LR at least. Especially if there’s more than enough demand.
Also worth noting that the price gap between the SR+ and LR is very tight. Back when they cut the grant to 3k and set the limit at 50k they increased the price of the SR+ and the LR actually came down by a grand.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I’m so confused by all of this.

I’m starting a new job in three months time which has the mileage to justify model 3 (going from 4K miles pa to 15 K miles p)
I was planning to order a model 3 long range with tow bar in white between June and September once settled into the new job.

I have wanted a model three for several years but Couldn’t make the numbers work with such low annual mileage

Can’t work out if I should just try and buy one now in all of this craziness and it will drive almost nowhere for three months, or hold off and risk the fact that the price will effectively to me go up by 3K if I hesitate 🤷‍♂️