Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When GM ran the Fremont factory, they pushed new cars that were built wrong, or with missing parts, cars that wouldn't even start, out into a big parking lot for workers to fix, or try to fix. It was more important to them to keep the line moving than to actually build a quality (or even working) car.
Robin
And now we know why GM is no longer running the Fremont factory...

• Funny
Reactions: Topher
I get the feeling, from all I've seen on these forums, that model 3 production will increase substantially soon.
Not knowing much about car production but I would have thought that production would start very slowly. Any problems or bottlenecks would be noted then the whole line would stop to fix these items. This would explain why deliveries stopped a little while ago.
It seems now more vin's are being registered so hopefully things really start to flow, although I imagine there will still be a lot of stopping and starting to perfect things.
Has anyone reading this forum had any car manufacturing experience? Is this how things work?
I can't wait to get my model 3 so will follow this thread with great interest, appreciate all the vin spotting by those of you close to the factory

When GM ran the Fremont factory, they pushed new cars that were built wrong, or with missing parts, cars that wouldn't even start, out into a big parking lot for workers to fix, or try to fix. It was more important to them to keep the line moving than to actually build a quality (or even working) car.
Robin
Well, GM has been selling a ton of cars each year....so......... maybe the throw away car concept is working. I dunno.

Is it possible to produce a car with a 0% error rate in the mass market?

Robin
When I wen through the Rouge River Ford plant where they make the F-150, they have a huge rework section for trucks that were not quite right.

I don't think this is true, but rather it's that you know a lot about Tesla and so it's easy to see the mistakes that media makes. There's a law blog that I follow that is constantly critical of how the media covers the first amendment. They often say something to the effect of "the media does a terrible job of covering the things I know a lot about, but I'm sure they do a great job with everything else."

It's called the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect, (named after the fundamental particle physicist)

“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray's case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the "wet streets cause rain" stories. Paper's full of them.
In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.”
-- Michael Crichton
Quote by Michael Crichton: “Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is...”

I think this is an iron rule: the more you know about anything, the less reliable just about any media reporting will seem.
The more you know about anything, the less reliable anyone who knows less than you will be. That's the core reason for this effect. The press often has to take a crash course in their reporting while you've been immersed in it for years. Now, for someone who covers only one topic (Tesla, for example), that excuse won't fly.

The more you know about anything, the less reliable anyone who knows less than you will be. That's the core reason for this effect. The press often has to take a crash course in their reporting while you've been immersed in it for years. Now, for someone who covers only one topic (Tesla, for example), that excuse won't fly.

Very informative posts about Nummi and journalism but weren't you the guy in post
#287 ohmman, Friday at 2:33 PM who just took a bunch of off topic stuff out of this thread?

I believe VIN 521 is still the high point but Vin 003 and 515 are in this picture
xo5mj3kfsftz.jpg

Very informative posts about Nummi and journalism but weren't you the guy in post
#287 ohmman, Friday at 2:33 PM who just took a bunch of off topic stuff out of this thread?

I believe VIN 521 is still the high point but Vin 003 and 515 are in this picture
xo5mj3kfsftz.jpg
I’ve got a hall pass, I promise!

I work in logistics. I've heard that a Bay Area railroad yard is working on the Model 3 ramp up for delivery to the mid-west and beyond. The numbers mentioned were 2000 cars a week starting by the end of November. None of these are for California delivery. Take that for what you will.
Well, for what it's worth, my projected order date of Oct-Dec of this year has never changed.