Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't try to figure it out - it'll only make your head hurt. No rhyme or reason (well, maybe a reason but we wouldn't understand or believe it)

My theory is they are done in batches but I can't say what the prime link is for that. May be color, battery size, HUD's - who knows. My VIN is close to another reported VIN of the same color. But just a few numbers below that is a different color.

I'm thinking that at the start of the production line there is a little old lady seated, smoking a cigar and in front of her is a glass bowl full of balls with the current batch of available VINs attached. A bell rings and she blindly pulls out one ball and then announces it into this old nostalgia style microphone which causes a resounding screeching feedback throughout the plant that is so distorted that no one can understand it. But its only purpose is to wake up the workers that get no breaks during their 21 hour shifts.

Not that I don't want to imagine that actually being the case, I think the more likely scenario is that the cars are built serially on the production line, but the old lady is sitting at the END of the production line randomly matching buyers to previously built cars and doing it in her haphazard and random fashion (honoring color and wheel choices anyway).

Any non existing employed or Tesla owner receiving their car yet? Volumes we are seeing suggests this is many months away :(
No. But it sure feels like they’re going through the California owners very quickly lately. Shouldn’t take them more than a month or so to go through non-California owners, after which the true flood gates should open for “regular” reservation holders.

This is, what i can give u.
VIN.JPG

I asked the User for the complete VIN.

In basically five months Tesla has built approximately 3000 model 3's if you look at it from a best case scenario that they can build 5000 cars in January, 7500 cards in February and 10,000 cars in March you are a total of approximately 22,000 vehicles. More than likely this represents about 10% of the people who want or would actually pull the trigger on a Tesla. If you just simply look at the numbers I would strongly advise people to act if they get an invitation and they can afford the car. Beyond that I would be highly skeptical of them getting anywhere near the timelines they have laid out on the website. I firmly believe that there was really good news they would be shouting it at this point. Like most of you I'm a huge Tesla fan and currently own both a model S and a model X. I am on the list for a model three which will be my daughter's car- the current long-range version with PUP is a bit of a stretch for her but I'm advising her to proceed based on the likelihood of the SR getting built this year and the fact the tax credit at that point will be greatly reduced or eliminated.While I own two vehicles we did not put in our model three order until October. We are in California so I would expect you will get a configuration notice at some point in the next 60 to 90 days. At that point I will let everyone know as we have to be one of the last existing owners to jump the line.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
... I firmly believe that if there was really good news they would be shouting it at this point..

I believe that Elon will be picking up the Megaphone shortly after the start of the New Year. Keep your ears open wide...

RT

P.S. Until then, the silent drone videos showing big rig after big rig hauling 8 Model 3's from the factory each down to SoCal speak volumes...

model3truck_zpsvlzmdmyc.jpg

Last edited:
The German forum is currently discussing what the VIN, which registers Tesla with the NHTSA, means.
a) Are the VIN for vehicles to be built "someday"?
b) Are the VIN for bodies that are already built, but not mobile?
c) Are the VIN for already completely produced vehicles that only need to be delivered?

The German forum is currently discussing what the VIN, which registers Tesla with the NHTSA, means.
c) Are the VIN for already completely produced vehicles that only need to be delivered?

That is a very good question I tried to find an official answer to ( I failed). The best answer I can (personally) give is that a purchased vehicle must be in the NHTSA database. Before that point, there is no regulation/ requirement.

Internal to Tesla, the VIN must be known to label the vehicle, but there are no outside factors to limit/ control the creation of the VIN, so no need to interface with NHTSA ahead of time.

In basically five months Tesla has built approximately 3000 model 3's if you look at it from a best case scenario that they can build 5000 cars in January, 7500 cards in February and 10,000 cars in March you are a total of approximately 22,000 vehicles.
I think you are confused about what exponential means. The notion that the ramp will be linear in 1Q18 is absurd.

Isn't the vin etched on more places then the tag near the bottom of the windshield?