Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does Colorado require that a "Participating Dealer" be involved in order to get the state EV rebate?
Not per se; a local dealer can handle the paperwork and provide an immediate rebate. Non local purchases have to file at tax time.

In your case with NYS, I don't know. After all, none of the delivery centers are actual "dealerships." Best to ask Tesla when your number comes up.

Not per se; a local dealer can handle the paperwork and provide an immediate rebate. Non local purchases have to file at tax time.

In your case with NYS, I don't know. After all, none of the delivery centers are actual "dealerships." Best to ask Tesla when your number comes up.

I was under the impression that the immediate credit applies to EVs but Tesla does not participate and you must file on your taxes.

Maybe you could fix this Wikipedia article then because it doesn't list any restrictions;

Tesla US dealership disputes - Wikipedia

AFAIK Colorado used to have a one store limit for Tesla but I believe that was years ago. There are now 4-5 stores in Colorado and at least one service/delivery center.

The Wikipedia article needs updating. There is still a dealership law issue Colorado. Tesla had one showroom when the auto dealers noticed that Colorado law didn't explicitly forbid manufacturers selling direct, so they lobbied up a quick fix to the law. Tesla was grandfathered in to forestall the obvious Bill of Attainder lawsuit. So -- no "more" manufacturer-owned dealerships were allowed. This restrained Tesla for a while until it was observed that there are plenty of existing dealers who have multiple dealership locations, but only one dealership license. Oho, said Tesla's legal people -- we can play that game. So they are building new showrooms all over the state. I expect the dealer lobby to try to "fix" that soon, but I've been talking with my state rep and senator about that (and giving them demo rides).

It would be nice if they started building service centers too, but so far they are all in shopping malls with no room for a service department. They definitely need a western slope location.

The Wikipedia article needs updating. There is still a dealership law issue Colorado. Tesla had one showroom when the auto dealers noticed that Colorado law didn't explicitly forbid manufacturers selling direct, so they lobbied up a quick fix to the law. Tesla was grandfathered in to forestall the obvious Bill of Attainder lawsuit. So -- no "more" manufacturer-owned dealerships were allowed. This restrained Tesla for a while until it was observed that there are plenty of existing dealers who have multiple dealership locations, but only one dealership license. Oho, said Tesla's legal people -- we can play that game. So they are building new showrooms all over the state. I expect the dealer lobby to try to "fix" that soon, but I've been talking with my state rep and senator about that (and giving them demo rides).

It would be nice if they started building service centers too, but so far they are all in shopping malls with no room for a service department. They definitely need a western slope location.

What? There is a service center in Littleton and I have not heard about Tesla opening stores all over the state.

The new location on Broadway is a service center location. It was built where the old Schomp dealership was.

You also kind of proved my point which is that there is nothing currently restricting Tesla from having a store/delivery-center anywhere in Colorado, including "Boulder".

I haven’t read this whole thread, but hadn’t previously seen mention of this Bloomberg Model 3 Tracker so figured I’d share it here. It seems reasonable to me, though I hope production is on track for 2500/week at the end of next month.

How Many Tesla Model 3 Cars Have Been Made? We Set Out to Crack Tesla's Biggest Mystery: How Many Model 3s It's Making

Credit where credit is due:
A Reddit post has alerted me to this new Bloomberg article. They claim they've created their own M3 tracker, but it feels like a straight copy of the one created by the community. I feel like they just took all the data from there, or copied the bots' logic and added in "VINs reported directly to Bloomberg" (they have one VIN reported to them) to claim this is unique.

We Set Out to Crack Tesla's Biggest Mystery: How Many Model 3s It's Making

That Bloomberg article is so funny.
The last section about Detroit establishing high volume EV lines made me laugh out loud.
[edit]
Just checked "Detroit's" numbers so far.
The biggest selling "EV" from Detroit is the Volt with 24K in 2016
Bolt last year got to 23K

Last edited:
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Why is Boulder in quotation marks ?

Because someone commented that there's some kind of dream of Tesla to have a dealership or delivery center in Boulder Colorado as an homage to Nikola Tesla, which is odd, since Tesla's experimental work in Colorado took place in Colorado Springs.

Putting a Tesla dealership in Boulder may or may not make sense, I really couldn't give a fig if they put a dealership there but if they want to there doesn't appear to be anything stopping them.

Because someone commented that there's some kind of dream of Tesla to have a dealership or delivery center in Boulder Colorado as an homage to Nikola Tesla, which is odd, since Tesla's experimental work in Colorado took place in Colorado Springs.

Putting a Tesla dealership in Boulder may or may not make sense, I really couldn't give a fig if they put a dealership there but if they want to there doesn't appear to be anything stopping them.

All the hippies are in Boulder.. duh.

• Funny
Reactions: KJD and evp
Sadly all the hippies are NOT in Boulder any longer. Having gone to school there I was soon converted to the point of view that the best thing that could happen to CO was if they could build a fence around Boulder to keep all the craziness in.

Sadly the craziness leaked out years ago.

Wow, it has been a while. I lived in Denver from '91-'96 between College and moving to California. I lived downtown around the time the Rockies become an expansion team and downtown become an awesome place to be in my mid 20's. I have to admit that I miss Denver almost as much as California. Both are very nice places to live, but if I was moving today, I certainly would consider Denver or Colorado over California for sure.

Thank you, I was just going to post this. That Bloomberg page smells like straight up shameless plagiarism. :(

Disappointing because I generally find Bloomberg pretty straight-up, particularly the Bloomberg New Energy Finance group’s work. I can’t believe they aren’t giving credit.

How do you access the VIN tracker’s output?

Edit: I happened across the tracker article by scrolling down from a Bloomberg article on Tesla’s struggles to establish a factory in China.

The new Bloomberg tracker is not that bad, IMHO.
  • it's the only tracker that can be followed by non-hardcore fans that live here and on Reddit
  • it has some context and rationale
  • it has more charts in one single page
If they maintain it it's a good service for press and investors alike.
Of course, they could not have done it without people here on TMC and on Reddit, so they could have been more vocal in giving credit to the communities.
That aside, maybe we can tell them about partial VINs like the most recent 82XX... I've read here many 7XXX VINs, and at least one 8XXX, but these don't show up in the community charts.