Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a Few Plastic Barrels, Pay Half Your Car's Value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a utility for EAP but, it’s refinement has a way to go. I’ve attempted using it in rush hour traffic, both ways, and I’m hampered by its use. The dynamics of driving here requires manual adjustment constantly. I’ve used it on secondary, less traveled roads, and it works fairly well. I suppose if I lived on the mainland, driving main arteries, I would have a more “robust” experience(?). Regardless, I have it and don’t use it much. Yet, as it gets better, I’m prepared.

I haven't posted any photos of the damage because it doesn't show much at all. A gradual dent in the hood and a broken piece on the bumper cover, and of course that demolished outside mirror. Without someone pointing out the damage you probably wouldn't notice it at all. Except that mirror... I glued an oval shaped mirror that I got out of a handheld mirror to the remains of the outside unit and that at least let me check my blind spot. Looked really ghetto tho.

The top glass is not being replaced with a new one like I previously stated. Either the shop mis-spoke or I misunderstood what they said. They did tell me that it is quite likely that it would be replaced eventually since the top glass often breaks when it is removed.

I've been driving my truck now for about a week and it's funny how much I hate that. I think it's because I HAVE to. I'm even forced to have to steer the darn thing.

• Funny
Reactions: TomB985
I haven't posted any photos of the damage because it doesn't show much at all. A gradual dent in the hood and a broken piece on the bumper cover, and of course that demolished outside mirror. Without someone pointing out the damage you probably wouldn't notice it at all. Except that mirror... I glued an oval shaped mirror that I got out of a handheld mirror to the remains of the outside unit and that at least let me check my blind spot. Looked really ghetto tho.

The top glass is not being replaced with a new one like I previously stated. Either the shop mis-spoke or I misunderstood what they said. They did tell me that it is quite likely that it would be replaced eventually since the top glass often breaks when it is removed.

I've been driving my truck now for about a week and it's funny how much I hate that. I think it's because I HAVE to. I'm even forced to have to steer the darn thing.

Has your insurance signed off on this quote yet? Overall it does seem like this quote is excessive.

I would suggest you have your insurance company write a check to the shop (the insurance company has a contract with you to pay for restoring to pre-loss). Then just pick and choose with the shop (who you will have a contract with) what you want repaired. You can pocket the difference!

If there is a lien on the car, you could potentially have quibbles with the lienholder about restoring to pre-loss condition (they want to know their loan is properly secured!), but in the end they probably won't know what is going on. And if you hold the car and pay it off in full eventually in the end it doesn't really matter.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Ins Co received the estimate on Friday. No word back yet (at least not to me).

Ins Co is going to write future checks to the body shop, but only after they have evidence that the work has been completed (every line item). The first check, $3,000 derived from the Ins Co estimate, was written to me. I don't plan on cashing it until this is over & done with. There is no lien on the car, but I have YET to receive my title (bought May 8).

The very first thing I did after the accident was to go to my Ins Co and ask about points and rates. My wife has 1 insurance point from an event last fall, and if I file a claim above $3850 then I get 2 (or was it 3?) points, AND my wife's point is now included against us. Previously her 1 point was pardoned on condition that we get no more points in 3 years. The total points we will now have will increase our premiums by $2400 total over the next 3 years and then we'll have a clean slate. There is no upper limit on that $3850 - the points will be the same no matter how much above that figure the claim is.

The very first thing I did after the accident was to go to my Ins Co and ask about points and rates. My wife has 1 insurance point from an event last fall, and if I file a claim above $3850 then I get 2 (or was it 3?) points, AND my wife's point is now included against us. Previously her 1 point was pardoned on condition that we get no more points in 3 years. The total points we will now have will increase our premiums by $2400 total over the next 3 years and then we'll have a clean slate. There is no upper limit on that $3850 - the points will be the same no matter how much above that figure the claim is.

Unless you plan to fix it out-of-pocket, or leave it broken and buy a bicycle, there is no 'if' I file a claim. Its not like there's not a claim if they decide its totalled. Also note that the state could probably bill your insurance(or you) for the damage to their barrels!

Unless you plan to fix it out-of-pocket, or leave it broken and buy a bicycle, there is no 'if' I file a claim. Its not like there's not a claim if they decide its totalled. Also note that the state could probably bill your insurance(or you) for the damage to their barrels!

Sounds like the OP could easily fix this out of pocket and save vs. the elevated insurance premiums. Just get the mirror fixed and maybe a couple brackets and it would be good to go. Probably less than $1k, but not knowing exact details of the damage to the front bumper, it is hard to say. Obviously the car will look well-loved if he takes that route.

But you never know! Someone could rear-end him next week and it could result in a total loss. Then he’d be a big winner (assuming no whiplash of course).

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
My daughter rear ended another car, at about 4 mph, in a turbo Beatle. $7500 repair.
You hit numerous barrels at 60+ mph, part of me is not surprised at the repair cost. With such closely fitting parts a bumper hit will likely damage hood and both quarter panels, headlights and all the underlying support structure and components on any modern car today.

Jeeps, Pick-Ups and large SUVs not included.

BTW, you're lucky you're not dead. Whether you think so or not, Autopilot probably saved your life. Had you fallen asleep in an ordinary car, you probably would have ended up under the semi that was on the right, or done an Earnhardt into the wall on the left

BTW, you're lucky you're not dead. Whether you think so or not, Autopilot probably saved your life. Had you fallen asleep in an ordinary car, you probably would have ended up under the semi that was on the right, or done an Earnhardt into the wall on the left
Unlike poor Dale who was driving almost 3x faster, the OP would have had multiple airbags to cushion a crash.

Got word from the body shop that Farm Bureau has approved the estimate as is and the parts are on order. I'm now expecting a cancellation notice from FB. They previously told me that my rates would go up to a total of $2400 additional premiums over the next 3 years but now that the repairs have come to $26k I expect they will seek more revenge than that.

Got word from the body shop that Farm Bureau has approved the estimate as is and the parts are on order. I'm now expecting a cancellation notice from FB. They previously told me that my rates would go up to a total of $2400 additional premiums over the next 3 years but now that the repairs have come to $26k I expect they will seek more revenge than that.

Forget about insurance, the state should take you license away.