Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit by parking charge at Northampton UK supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But big motorway-style sites are not immune either - someone was fined recently for over-staying at Grantham. There is a 2 hours (or similar) limit there, camera controlled,. That person Supercharged and then stayed to do some emails ... noone arrived needing the stall ... but the time limit was exceed and a fine issued. I have no wish to dwell at Grantham, its not very salubrious, but I have charged there often and never saw the signs. They aren't hidden ... but the charge is unexpected.

My car broke at Grantham supercharger; I was obviously there for quite a long time.

I asked at the WH Smiths shop inside and they added my reg to a list. No ticket/invoice/"fine". So you can just do that if for some absolutely inexplicable reason you want to spend time in that delightful loaction.

I just got a fine too, didn’t notice the sign, arrived in the dark and done by these scam artists.

I hate these bloodsucking conmen I agree with other comments, they are a slur on the Tesla name and Tesla should at least threaten to withdraw.

I will speak to the hotel.

I just got a fine too, didn’t notice the sign, arrived in the dark and done by these scam artists.

I hate these bloodsucking conmen I agree with other comments, they are a slur on the Tesla name and Tesla should at least threaten to withdraw.

I will speak to the hotel.

Did you have any joy? I’ve paid up, but planning to appeal with my supercharging invoice (if the Tesla site will ever let me download it!)

The hotel needs a Tesla button on their IT system tied to registration and Parking Eye could easily adapt their system to automatically cancel/tidy up any PCNs raised in error for records marked as “Tesla charged”. But they won’t do that as they are lazy greedy shitbags.

Reactions: Beady3647
Anyone has any update on appeal either with the management in hotel, parkingeye or popla? I was there for a quick top up and missed the sign. Didn't register and got letter from parking eye a few weeks later. I have tried with the hotel but they basically said nah, you're on your own. Appealed to parkingeye but got rejected and now appealing with popla. Not sure what to do if popla failed. Would appreciate it if anyone can provide updates as things progresses. I should know end of this week the appeal with popla.

These companies are leeches. There needs to be stronger regulation of them. The appeal system is a joke since its an industry body - it is vested only in working for their sponsors. Personally I'd fight them all the way. Ignoring them is a good start.
Ignoring them is a bad start! In fact it pretty much guarantees you will lose. You need to study the procedures carefully and follow them to the letter, and in good time.
I am an ex Council lawyer btw. My friend and colleague did the parking appeals. The garbage we got from appellants, irrelevant nonsense mostly, was extraordinary. But a well argued logical case generally got the ticket cancelled.
I know this is a private company issuing tickets, and they may well chance their arm even when they have a weak case, but scuppering your own case by ignoring the legal process is a bad move, whoever you are dealing with.

If you get a PCN like this, it is worth appealing to the management of the property concerned - they typically have a facility to have tickets cancelled (within a certain timeframe e.g. 28 days from issue). Such a facility is needed where errors have been made for customers or staff.

I had this problem when I charged my car at Asda's and they cancelled it for me

Anyone has any update on appeal either with the management in hotel, parkingeye or popla? I was there for a quick top up and missed the sign. Didn't register and got letter from parking eye a few weeks later. I have tried with the hotel but they basically said nah, you're on your own. Appealed to parkingeye but got rejected and now appealing with popla. Not sure what to do if popla failed. Would appreciate it if anyone can provide updates as things progresses. I should know end of this week the appeal with popla.
Did you send receipts for supercharge useage in the appeal? Did you state exact times you were using? I manage to get off by doing that

Ignoring them is a bad start! In fact it pretty much guarantees you will lose. You need to study the procedures carefully and follow them to the letter, and in good time.
I am an ex Council lawyer btw. My friend and colleague did the parking appeals. The garbage we got from appellants, irrelevant nonsense mostly, was extraordinary. But a well argued logical case generally got the ticket cancelled.
I know this is a private company issuing tickets, and they may well chance their arm even when they have a weak case, but scuppering your own case by ignoring the legal process is a bad move, whoever you are dealing with.

It's very, very different ignoring an invoice vs a council fine. Before engaging in scams, I suggest those in receipt of invoices start on the Pepipoo forums. :)

If POPLA doesn't decide in your favour, you can either choose to pay up or tell ParkingEye that you will see them in court. If you have proof that you used the supercharger there, ParkingEye might not want to risk the costs of losing in court, for just one PCN. But IANAL.

It's very, very different ignoring an invoice vs a council fine. Before engaging in scams, I suggest those in receipt of invoices start on the Pepipoo forums. :)
Totally agree a council fine is a very different beast to a PCN from the scumbag companies running the parking protection rackets. I’ve experienced their tactics on a couple of occasions and ignored them completely with no comeback whatsoever. Council stuff I’ve appealed on 3 occasions and won 2 lost one so considering in each occasion I’ve been completely honest with them and didn’t expect to win any I’m happy that they tend to be sympathetic most of the time

It can't be beyond Tesla to pop up a dialog notice in the car advising of any local restrictions/procedures when approaching a Supercharger site.

This would earn Tesla a bunch of kudos and prevent the profiteering parking scum preying on the unwary.
Win all round.

All we need is a tweeter who can catch Elon's attention now.

It can't be beyond Tesla to pop up a dialog notice in the car advising of any local restrictions/procedures when approaching a Supercharger site.

This would earn Tesla a bunch of kudos and prevent the profiteering parking scum preying on the unwary.
Win all round.

likewise for shared sites like this, couldn’t Tesla share VIN/ref number info to confirm supercharging and auto register those cars?

I guess it’s not in parking eye’s interest though - they rely on putting up just enough signage and then people forgetting/missing it

Win all round.

The car already has this information on screen when you select the location as your destination, the site has large very obvious notices next to each charger, right where you have to stand when plugging in, about the need to register at reception.

I really don't know what more anyone could do to make it clear what you have to do to avoid being charged, yet somehow...

What happened with this in the end?

Has any Tesla owner beat ParkingEye in court over this issue? I am waiting for them to take me to court and will fight it all the way. I even have an email from Campanile to ParkingEye telling them to cancel the fine, and they still refused!