Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Hold" mode regeneration in new SW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
So... Friday night Stacy's Mom got the new SW that adds 'hold' mode regeneration, which the release notes suggest is really regenerating all the way to 0 and then engaging brakes.

I'm having a little trouble getting used to it, but its only been a couple days. I'm more than a little suspicious that its not really doing any regeneration below 3-5mph, and instead its just gently applying the brakes. I'd assume the motors just aren't spinning fast enough to regenerate any significant power.

Even if its auto-applying the brakes, I guess its better to be one-footing the drive, at least for now. I'll give it some more time. I wonder if I'll end up turning it off for snowy times, because I'd rather have me directly controlling how much braking is going on, rather than letting the computer do it.

Any opinions?

I tried it for a few hours and it drove me crazy. The one footed driving was "neat" but to me it made the whole car feel heavy. Flipped back to "roll" mode and decided to wait for further updates in hopes they change the feel a bit.

The Honda Fit EV I leased had great one pedal driving. I tried the "Hold" mode this morning on a trip to Costco and it is really different. Drove me crazy also !!

....I'd assume the motors just aren't spinning fast enough to regenerate any significant power.

Any opinions?
Only the rear (permanent magnet) motor will regen below about 10 MPH. While "significant power" is subjective it will supply some power (progressively less) all the way down to 0 RPM's (or 120º of last rotation) and can stop the car with little or no friction brakes.

Last edited:
yea parking straight and reversing alone would cause me to ditch hold, its very annoying. i didnt try making a "parking" profile yet but ill see if thats an option and then just switch to a "normal driving" profile. im leaning toward just going back to roll (old hold)

Reactions: pilotSteve
This mode defaulted to "ON" on my car and I turned it off without even trying it. At this time, I am not interested in "re-writing" my muscle memory for driving cars any further than I already have.

I already have to "think" when I get in my wifes 2019 X3 and drive it, because no regen. I dont want to get further used to driving with one pedal and then have to transition when driving some car without that feature (which is most of them). I get why they have it, I get why people like it, I am just not interested currently.

I also dont like at ALL the fact that the feature defaulted ON, on my car. NO feature that is not 100% safety related, that changes the behavior of the car from its delivered state, should default to ON when it is deployed. It should default to off, with notes about how to turn it on.

The "standby summon" mode defaulted to ON and has effected many people who were unaware how much extra drain their car would have while parked, relative to what they were "used to". others have reported that the feature deployed as "off" so at some point its likely tesla realized that was a big miss on their part.

I just got 36.2.1 2 days ago. The state I had that feature was creep OFF. When this feature deployed to my car, it was set to "hold". I always go out and fully shut down my car after updates (call it an IT habit of rebooting systems after patching), and read the patch notes. Anyone elses default to "hold" or am I just "special"? (lol)

The "standby summon" mode defaulted to ON and has effected many people who were unaware how much extra drain their car would have while parked, relative to what they were "used to". others have reported that the feature deployed as "off" so at some point its likely tesla realized that was a big miss on their part.

I just got 36.2.1 2 days ago. The state I had that feature was creep OFF. When this feature deployed to my car, it was set to "hold". I always go out and fully shut down my car after updates (call it an IT habit of rebooting systems after patching), and read the patch notes. Anyone elses default to "hold" or am I just "special"? (lol)

When I got the 36.1 update, the driving mode was defaulted to "hold". I got the 36.2.1 update a couple of days ago also. I just checked and it did not re-default to "hold". It is still in "creep" mode, which is the mode I had it in before the 36.2.1 update.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Love the updated hold mode to a stop for 1 pedal operation but I'm getting a clicking noise when the car comes to a complete stop and on 'hold'. Seemed to have started yesterday after updates, and the same noise isn't present if I flip to the 'roll' mode. Can't tell if it the brakes are engaging / sticking causing the 'clicking' sound. Any else having this experience or thoughts?

Personally I think Hold mode is how the cars should have come from the beginning. I only drove 30 miles yesterday and I think it's fantastic. Such a very smooth driving experience now.

Same! Love it. I’m ready to saw off the brake pedal entirely and abandon it. Push the accel to go, have the car stop if not. Don’t need the brake for 99.9% of driving. It’s really just for emergencies. It drives like a video game car now. Love it. Thanks Tesla!

I like this mode, except the small delay from the car stops until the brakes kick in and the hold symbol shows on the screen. If P is pressed or the driver leaves during this gap, and the car is in a hill, it will roll a short distance before the park brake engages.

I just got 36.2.1 2 days ago. The state I had that feature was creep OFF. When this feature deployed to my car, it was set to "hold".
Same here. I'm trying out the new Hold setting, but I think it was the wrong choice to map "Creep=Off" to "Stopping Mode=Hold". That's a unnecessary change to the driving experience setting someone previously chose. Adding a new feature is good; automatically opting into it is not. As an example, if they added "Regen=Off" and migrated all users that had "Regen=Low" to it automatically it would also be wrong, IMO.

If I thought I could do anything positive with it (build a resume?), I'd have made a list of "unforced errors" by Tesla long ago and submit an open letter or something. Of course, it would need constant updating to stay current. :( I'm talking about stuff a C average junior high student can recognize.

Finally got my update last night, and I love the full one pedal driving and auto hold. It will take a few hours of driving to get used to, and then I'm sure it will feel like that's how it's always been. My wife was driving the Tesla yesterday while her car was in the shop, so I drove our old Sprinter diesel van to work and to run errands. Getting back in the Tesla this morning after the update last night was a total trip especially with the extra power which seemed very noticeable. I feel bad for the snow tires on the Model 3 :D