Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Hold Steering Wheel" every 15 seconds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Electroman

Aug 18, 2012
TX
Okay this is very annoying. This morning I was getting "Hold Steering Wheel" message every 15-20 seconds. I noticed that my M3 generally gives more frequent nags than my AP1 S, but it used to be spaced around a minute to two minutes.

This morning the same commute, very little traffic, AP set to 70mph as usual, and nanny was working overdrive with a nag every 15 seconds and sometimes maybe 20 seconds. For the entire 40 mile commute I had to dismiss that message maybe around 100 times. Super annoying. After sometime I simply started driving myself without AP. Version: 2018.14.13

What would have triggered this change in behavior?

i will post a video snippet later.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Okay this is very annoying. This morning I was getting "Hold Steering Wheel" message every 15-20 seconds. I noticed that my M3 generally gives more frequent nags than my AP1 S, but it used to be spaced around a minute to two minutes.

This morning the same commute, very little traffic, AP set to 70mph as usual, and nanny was working overdrive with a nag every 15 seconds and sometimes maybe 20 seconds. For the entire 40 mile commute I had to dismiss that message maybe around 100 times. Super annoying. After sometime I simply started driving myself without AP.

Cameras dirty or driving into the sunrise? I've read reports that the nags come more frequently when the data isn't as clear.

Hmm.. it drizzled slightly, more like being misty, as soon as I stepped out of the garage and stopped a few minutes later, with wipers maybe coming ON for a few minutes. Let me clean the dash with a smooth cloth and see.

I've noticed that holding the wheel with both hands often gets me a prompt, maybe it's reading the torque applied be a one handed grab to decide if you are holding the wheel? Since purposely switching to a single hand grip while on autopilot I have not had a single nag (probably 4 or 5 hours total)

Reactions: mongo
I've noticed that holding the wheel with both hands often gets me a prompt, maybe it's reading the torque applied be a one handed grab to decide if you are holding the wheel? Since purposely switching to a single hand grip while on autopilot I have not had a single nag (probably 4 or 5 hours total)

Yah. The car senses torque (rotational force). With two hands (at symmetric positions) they may be too balanced to detect.

This morning the same commute, very little traffic, AP set to 70mph as usual, and nanny was working overdrive with a nag every 15 seconds and sometimes maybe 20 seconds. For the entire 40 mile commute I had to dismiss that message maybe around 100 times. Super annoying. After sometime I simply started driving myself without AP. Version: 2018.14.13

Were you holding the steering wheel when this was happening?

That is strange, on both models we own nothing like that has ever happened. Call sc. before they get overwhelmed

This is one of my biggest complaints is not detecting my hands when using AP. So what exactly is the proper way to keep your hand on the wheel? Is it expecting me to pull it slightly to the left or right?

Yes you have to pull it slightly left or right.

I found that the amount of torque needed against the wheel for AutoPilot to detect your hand on the steering wheel, is MORE than the amount of torque needed to steer the car without autopilot. Somewhat ironic.

• Helpful
Reactions: Shygar
Update. After cleaning the windshield, specifically the camera area with some mild soap and nice soft cloth - the problem went away. Now I am being nagged between 60 and 90 seconds. Why sometimes it is 60 and sometimes it more than that is a mystery to me, as the conditions seem identical.

But in any case, although this is more nag than my old S, this is tolerable.

Thanks to @mongo