Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just confirmed, to view the tire pressure you can now use the voice command "display service settings". (If you instead say "display service" the Tesla Model Y will start to navigate to a service location.)

You can use the voice command "Display Seat Heaters". I am liking the Auto setting for the driver's seat heater.

Also, for Climate Left On you can use the Voice Commands "Set Climate On", "Set Dog Mode On" (not tested "Set Camp Mode On")

When you return to the Tesla Model Y after charging there is no quick way to display the charging screen when you unlock the Tesla Mode Y. The charge port icon on the left side of the screen is greyed out. You can open Settings > Charging or use the voice command "Display Charge Settings"
I’m going to try that. Thanks very much.

The issue with saying “you can do that with voice command” or “just set it to auto” is that, while all well and good, there was no need to remove the option to have it one click away. Adding the “auto” option for the seat heaters is great for some people, but having the button right there on the launcher bar would be great for other people. Same thing with the voice command, it’s always been there, telling someone who doesn’t want their podcast or whatever they’re listening to interrupted by them talking to the car or the car listening to them that that’s the one solution is not going to be acceptable for a lot of people. It’s like if I was trying to type this message on my phone but had to dig in a menu every time I want to type a sentence. Me telling you “you can just dictate it” wouldn’t really be a solution. Just a workaround. Having options to please the masses is usually the way to go…

That's it. I'm making a row of physical knobs and switches that attaches to the bottom of the screen.

Seat heaters, fan speed, temp, wipers (wipers will operate like a twist knob sort of like on a stalk: off, 1, 2, 3, 4, Auto as you rotate from bottom to top), profile, dash cam. What else is missing? Front and rear defrost, maybe these 2 programmable, so warm climate people can set them to something else?

Want to keep it really simple, not too much to think about, persistent physical buttons you can learn to use by feel.

I'll copy the design language, so it looks like it fits, not some test box with OTS parts. Basically slightly larger scroll wheels from the steering wheel, optimized for the layout, and rockers for the seat heaters.

No promises on time line, might be a couple months, but should still beat Tesla fixing this cludge.

Last edited:
The Tesla voice commands have always been the easiest way to access many of the Tesla vehicle functions. Learn a dozen or so of the voice commands and this will enhance the user experience as you interact with the Tesla vehicle.

Lock/Unlock Doors
Open Glove Box
Mirrors - Fold/Unfold Mirrors
Sentry Mode - Keep Tesla Safe / Keep Summer Safe (for Rick & Morty fans)
Charging - Open Charge Port (also Open Butt Hole)
Wipers - Wipers On/Off/Low/Medium/Hi/1/2/3/4/Auto; Faster/Slower/Max/Min
Tire Pressure
Climate Control - Open/Close Climate Controls
Climate Control - Recirculate (cabin air) / Fresh Air
Climate Control - I'm Cold/I'm Hot
Climate Control - Turn Off/On H VAC
Climate Control - Split/Sync/Unsync Climate Control
Climate Control - Keep Climate On / (Dog Mode?)
Climate Control - Increase/Decrease Temperature X Degrees
Climate Control - My Feet are Cold / Hot
Climate Control - Set Fan to X/Auto
Music - Play Artist/Album/Song/Radio Station
Navigation - Navigate to Work/Home/McDonald's/Airport; Go Home

V10.2 Tesla Voice Commands
All very well, just as long as you have cell service. A good, intuitive UI is still needed for when you're out in the country. More voice commands are needed for important controls too, like "Turn on/off headlights" for when you enter/exit a headlights required zone in the daytime.

I mean there's a physical button that activates the wipers, couldn't get more easier to do than that
well, the wipers, when they go crazy, which is often, don’t stop because you press the stalk button. they are a poorly implemented cost saving feature that stubbornly refuses to work reliably and has you fiddling with sub menus or voice control.
same thing works well on my S. Which has a simple rain sensor.

Reactions: LindyLoo
Yes, these work pretty well, except when they don’t. Weak cell signal areas contribute to missed commands, as do masks, stuffed sinuses, the list continues. But yes, this is the first thing to try when everything else requires you to pull over to find something newly buried under several levels of inane menus.
Exactly right Sam - millions of driving miles out in the country with no cell service means an intuitive UI is still critically important. And the voice interface is missing important controls that are buried in multi-click menus - for example, "turn headlights on/off" when entering/exiting "headlights required" road sections.

well, the wipers, when they go crazy, which is often, don’t stop because you press the stalk button. they are a poorly implemented cost saving feature that stubbornly refuses to work reliably and has you fiddling with sub menus or voice control.
same thing works well on my S. Which has a simple rain sensor.
We actually had rain the other day here in LA, and I'd say the M3 rain sensing has improved considerably over the downpour it took to trigger auto-wipe back in 2019. Still not quite as good as the old Corolla, which has a real rain sensor, especially at night.

We actually had rain the other day here in LA, and I'd say the M3 rain sensing has improved considerably over the downpour it took to trigger auto-wipe back in 2019. Still not quite as good as the old Corolla, which has a real rain sensor, especially at night.
I was driving yesterday to Mountain View in the evening. Light rain. They went crazy after wiping the light drizzle clean and there wasn’t more drizzle. Repeatedly pressed the button, no dice.

I feel Tesla software engineers think themselves ‘very very cool’, and want to make an impression on impressionable people. Both are probably the younger, less experienced folks. These folk likely have very little concern for either safety or utility. ‘Must look cool‘ is the predominant goal.

coming from a world of hardware verification, which is quite stringent (you can not fix most issues in the silicon with a software update, you know) I happen to know testing and verification in software are quite thin. That happens to be the case here, I can tell.

Auto seat heating is a solution looking for a problem.

In fact, I don't want the seat heater to be the same all the time. I want it to burn for a few minutes, and then off, then medium, then burn.

Therapy for my back. Been doing this for years.

The beauty of the Tesla experience is that if there are enough people offering ideas, it may very well be implemented. Imagine if they pushed a software update that offered an additional programmable button for the seat heaters that would allow users to set up say...a 4 step process for seat heaters...like
1 - seat heater ON HI - 5 min
2 - seat heater OFF - 5 min
3 - seat heater ON LO - 5 min
4 - seat heater OFF
REPEAT

Then also add timed seat movement that can adjust the seat to user set variables. On long trips I change the seat adjustment a few times to vary pressure points.

Reactions: OxBrew
Totally agree. I think the loss of the display under the car graphic with Wh/mi, Odo, and tyre pressure is a real backward step.

Even on the wider UI changes, I think it's a backward step too - simplicity is sacrificed for fancy stuff of marginal benefit. Not impressed so far...
Agree, very negative first impressions for usability, literally from the get-go. It used to be really simple to select who is driving - just one click. Now, that's buried somewhere my partner and I can't even locate. Couldn't care less about light shows or Tik-Tok. Any idea how to uninstall this regressive UI downgrade?

It appears I've lost the controls I easily used which are now hidden in sub-menus and lost the cards that displayed below the car graphic completely.

Realizing change is sometimes difficult it is especially so when the change seems to be a step backward.

The light show and all the games are kind of silly and have no value but if I don't want, I don't have to use them.

Having the cards with the odometer and trip info, tire pressure info right below the car graphic was a nice touch.

I see reference to "Simplified Controls" along with a graphic depicting same. I can't locate it so how simple is it.

Now I have to go to Controls>Trips
Controls>Service for tire pressure
Controls>Charging

And so on.

Going from one button to 2 buttons to accomplish the same thing seems to be an odd solution for a moving vehicle And where the heck is Simplified Controls?

All the time and money wasted on silly games and a light show and then to make the interface worse (my opinion) is just awful.

Would be nice if I could uninstall this Christmas Update and take a step backward.

So much for that. Happy Holidays everybody!
You must be amazing at parties. I love this new update

Re: missing time, network signal strength, driver profile, dash cam/sentry icons all in the top border of map view; this has to be a bug, right?

I mean, removing all that achieves nothing. It's got to be a mistake.
My car has updated last night. After reading this post, I’m kicking myself for downloading the update.
good god, they removed those icons too? What douchebags. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Re: missing time, network signal strength, driver profile, dash cam/sentry icons all in the top border of map view; this has to be a bug, right?

I mean, removing all that achieves nothing. It's got to be a mistake.
Everything is still there, just in different places. This kinda reminds me when my wife moved the knife block in the kitchen from the left of my range to inside a cabinet. At first I was like “where the F are they”. Now I know the locaction and the kitchen counters look a little more uncluttered.

Reactions: Thp3
Everything is still there, just in different places. This kinda reminds me when my wife moved the knife block in the kitchen from the left of my range to inside a cabinet. At first I was like “where the F are they”. Now I know the locaction and the kitchen counters look a little more uncluttered.
Lol, my wife and I have been having this fight for 2 decades. She's always putting everything away, and I'm constantly opening all the drawers and cupboards trying to find the scissors, that used to live in the can on the counter.

• Funny
Reactions: Falcon73 and na5m
Agree, very negative first impressions for usability, literally from the get-go. It used to be really simple to select who is driving - just one click. Now, that's buried somewhere my partner and I can't even locate. Couldn't care less about light shows or Tik-Tok. Any idea how to uninstall this regressive UI downgrade?
the only solution is to sell the car, but that does not actually solve the problem.

there is no 'undo' button for installs. never has been and tesla shows no interest in adding one.

service center wont do it either (likely, can't).