Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously, no driver profile name on the top? That's straight up crazy. half the time my wife and I have to manually change our profile. We keep our phones with range of the car, just in their normal place by the door or bedside table, so the car is often confused.

Nope, not installing the update.
This one sticks out the most for me. Driver profile should be up top and visible all the time to confirm you are in the correct profile and to make it easy to switch to another.

I really hate that the seat heaters are in climate now. If I want just the seat heater on w/o climate, I have to turn climate ON, turn seat heater on, the turn climate off. Then if I want to turn the seat heater off, or even see whether the seat heater is on, I have to turn climate back on again, turn seat heater off, then climate off. A lot of unnecessary on/off of the heat pump as well as more time looking away from the road. The voice command for seat heaters isn’t intuitive, and certainly isn’t an option for the passenger. I hate it. Is there a shortcut I’m missing?

I also have a bug that when I close the drivers door, the window goes up as usual, but then ALL the windows go back down about 1/4 inch. The climate/heater also seems quite a bit louder than it used to. I liked the rear fan control on the main climate screen. I liked all the music stuff together too. And the cards. Blargh. I assume it’s not possible to revert to previous software?
The Tesla Model Y's windows lowering 1/4 inch is actually a feature, not a bug. The is to prevent the edge of the window from sticking to the rubber door gasket in below freezing temperatures.

There is a voice command to "Show Seat Heaters".

I also have a bug that when I close the drivers door, the window goes up as usual, but then ALL the windows go back down about 1/4 inch.
Good feature to keep your windows from freezing to the top frame. that feature was implemented a while back. You may not have noticed it, until now. Once it gets below ~40 degrees it will activate. It used to be just the front windows but now includes the back ones too.

To me the worst part of the whole UI is wasting so much space on the left side with the image of the car driving. To me that is worthless and takes up way too much real estate. It seems Tesla devotes space to it for FSD, which (in my opinion) is a dream that will never come true. They can't even get regular autopilot right!
I’ve always found the visualization unnecessary. They could make it come up only when using the AP.

I think it’s increasingly apparent that there is a severe lack of mature leadership at Tesla. Top to bottom. Especially in the software team.

Making energy a shortcut still means 95% lost functionality imho. I look at trip data and consumtion continously. Now looking at it takes over whole right side which makes it useless. Please give us back the cards (or something better) but hiding away interesting data behind clunky "full screen" dialogs really makes me think our car just got significantly worse.

Also, making wipers less accessible, thats just dangerous (and annoying) especially since the automatic one is so bad.
I mean there's a physical button that activates the wipers, couldn't get more easier to do than that

Second, you can now add specific apps to the menu bar, so you get to choose what is quick access.
Almost none of the removed shortcuts are apps so they can't be put back. I understand that over time it can improve but it can also get worse.

And why isn't the owner's manual available for easy download? You have to install the update to see the manual that shows why you might want to defer the update.

There are some really odd UI choices:
  1. When the climate is off, it‘s almost invisible in the dock.
  2. inconsistent colors when options are selected. Some things selected are highlighted blue, others grey.
  3. The progress bar when playing songs is useless as it can be barely seen and the time stamp is gone.
  4. No simple music icon in the dock, only sources.
  5. WiFi, BT, LTE signals are gone from top of screen.

Just confirmed, to view the tire pressure you can now use the voice command "display service settings". (If you instead say "display service" the Tesla Model Y will start to navigate to a service location.)

You can use the voice command "Display Seat Heaters". I am liking the Auto setting for the driver's seat heater.

Also, for Climate Left On you can use the Voice Commands "Set Climate On", "Set Dog Mode On" (not tested "Set Camp Mode On")

When you return to the Tesla Model Y after charging there is no quick way to display the charging screen when you unlock the Tesla Mode Y. The charge port icon on the left side of the screen is greyed out. You can open Settings > Charging or use the voice command "Display Charge Settings"

Last edited:
Where do I find the tire pressure and trip distance/avg consumption cards now?
Tire pressure is found on Service Settings. You can use the voice command "Display Service Settings" (Don't use "Display Service" else the Tesla Model Y will start to navigate to a service location.)

Trip distance and consumption is found under Trips Settings. Currently you have to access this manually and the voice command "Display Trips Settings" is not available. You can use the voice command "Display Settings" to open the main settings screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: TBrownTX
When you use the “show seat heaters” voice command it opens and turns ON climate, exactly what I’m trying to prevent.
I now have the driver's seat heater set to Auto, so far I am liking this feature. I always precondition and use the HVAC.

What if you turn off the HVAC, will the seat heater(s) still come on when set to Auto? Then there would be no reason to regularly display the seat heater settings.

I now have the driver's seat heater set to Auto, so far I am liking this feature. I always precondition and use the HVAC.

What if you turn off the HVAC, will the seat heater(s) still come on when set to Auto? Then there would be no reason to regularly display the seat heater settings.
I rarely use Auto setting for climate, and I have no interest in auto seat heaters. Just want seat heaters w/o climate. Seems like there's enough blowback on this issue that it may get addressed. They should just add the front seat heater icons to the lower display, there's plenty of room.

Reactions: sparty96 and na5m
Also, making wipers less accessible, thats just dangerous (and annoying) especially since the automatic one is so bad.
Wiper access remain just as annoying as before when using the physical button or a voice command. From my perspective they replaced one bad system with another while keeping the minimally useful button/voice options.