Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay... I just finished updating 44.25 on MYLR and... I don't like it haha
My MYP still on 44.6 and I find this much better than the new 44.25
I think I got it all figured out, but going to have hard time explaining to my wife...

You can hit 'pause' on the updates by deleting your WiFi settings. If it doesn't have WiFi it won't download newer versions, and just put an orange arrow to let you know one is available, but not nag you. You might want to do that for the wife's car and wait it out a bit.

I received the "Turtle Mode" warning today for the first time (upgrade to 44.25 last night). Battery @ 45% charge, and I was parked for 20 minutes playing arcade while the wife was shopping just before it happened. Only 3200 miles on to ODO.

After my short drive it went away, but I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this?

The Tesla voice commands have always been the easiest way to access many of the Tesla vehicle functions. Learn a dozen or so of the voice commands and this will enhance the user experience as you interact with the Tesla vehicle.

Lock/Unlock Doors
Open Glove Box
Mirrors - Fold/Unfold Mirrors
Sentry Mode - Keep Tesla Safe / Keep Summer Safe (for Rick & Morty fans)
Charging - Open Charge Port (also Open Butt Hole)
Wipers - Wipers On/Off/Low/Medium/Hi/1/2/3/4/Auto; Faster/Slower/Max/Min
Tire Pressure
Climate Control - Open/Close Climate Controls
Climate Control - Recirculate (cabin air) / Fresh Air
Climate Control - I'm Cold/I'm Hot
Climate Control - Turn Off/On H VAC
Climate Control - Split/Sync/Unsync Climate Control
Climate Control - Keep Climate On / (Dog Mode?)
Climate Control - Increase/Decrease Temperature X Degrees
Climate Control - My Feet are Cold / Hot
Climate Control - Set Fan to X/Auto
Music - Play Artist/Album/Song/Radio Station
Navigation - Navigate to Work/Home/McDonald's/Airport; Go Home

V10.2 Tesla Voice Commands

It's a bit ironic, to me anyway, that I used to piss and moan about previous vehicles having such terrible voice command control. I say terrible because of the little, really frustrating things those previous cars voice commands did. I ended up never using them. Even the Lexus, which was the best I'd experienced.
Now, I'm in the Tesla and was getting frustrated about reaching over to punch through menus because I forgot where something was...then I hit the button, said what I wanted...and it worked, every time (except when out of range).
I think it's a matter of relearning driving and interacting with a car. And I'm not dismissing anyone elses gripes. I understand.
But...I'm loving it. Some quirks...for sure, but my MYP brought back the joy and excitement of driving for me.
The ONLY thing I miss about any previous car is the sound of my supercharged Jaguar...that thing puuurrrrred...

2020 Model Y owner here. Apparently the auto blind spot camera doesn’t come on unless I tap the animated signal. I must be overlooking something.
You need to turn on the blind spot camera in Settings: Autopilot > Autopilot Blind Spot Camera. You can now automatically see a live camera view of your blind spot whenever you activate the turn signal.

You appear to have found an undocumented way to turn on the blind spot camera.
2020 Model Y owner here. Apparently the auto blind spot camera doesn’t come on unless I tap the animated signal. I must be overlooking something.

Edit: user error, thank you jcanoe!
Thanks for asking this! I was stuck clicking the green arrow every time - thinking there has to be a better way!

Reactions: Sixth
Where do I find the tire pressure and trip distance/avg consumption cards now?
apparently they only able to accessed thru the controls, which to me, like others have stated, is step backwards (multiple tabs) I couldnt care less that they added tiktok or a light show. those have zero influence on driving the car. I liked having the running timer on the trip card.....and being able to have the navigation map up at the same time...now you can not do that! Sometimes I think Tesla focuses on things that they shouldnt. I give the update a 5/10.

Reactions: na5m and TimR
It appears I've lost the controls I easily used which are now hidden in sub-menus and lost the cards that displayed below the car graphic completely.

Realizing change is sometimes difficult it is especially so when the change seems to be a step backward.

The light show and all the games are kind of silly and have no value but if I don't want, I don't have to use them.

Having the cards with the odometer and trip info, tire pressure info right below the car graphic was a nice touch.

I see reference to "Simplified Controls" along with a graphic depicting same. I can't locate it so how simple is it.

Now I have to go to Controls>Trips
Controls>Service for tire pressure
Controls>Charging

And so on.

Going from one button to 2 buttons to accomplish the same thing seems to be an odd solution for a moving vehicle And where the heck is Simplified Controls?

All the time and money wasted on silly games and a light show and then to make the interface worse (my opinion) is just awful.

Would be nice if I could uninstall this Christmas Update and take a step backward.

So much for that. Happy Holidays everybody!
I'm with you on the update...I couldnt care less that they added tiktok or a light show, those have zero influence on actually driving the car. I liked and used the trip card all the time. I liked having the running timer....and being able to have the nav map up...at the same time! now thats not possible!

My first drive with the v11 was apparently at dark. Of course, I turned my favorite-to-be feature of blind spot at turn signal on. Ha! The camera image is blinded with the turn signal light intermittently, on/off/on/off! I'd guess, the exposure might be corrected with the software, but I am sure I'd be waiting for that for another good year. Or more? I'll get used to it much faster, turning that off, at least for night driving.
Another thing is - clearly discussed above and many (OF COURSE) takes it as "I am sure you'll never stop the progress", just get used this this <beep> eventually, and swallow. It is the common trend for ages, from simple and effective control knobs to touch screen I see for the last 15 years in the auto industry. Subaru will abandon that very soon. I'd guess, Any other non-cool brand still has it? Will see they follow the trend soon. And I see Tesla configures the GUI not around the navigation, but around the games. Get used it it or switch the brand (to iOS?).
And speedometer was also mentioned already also. Hah, who needs that. In the 3/y the non-required information was already moved away from the direct line of sight, and I'd expect it to removed from any screen soon. Who needs that, all the way with the steering and pedals? Take your phone and control your car. How cool, eh?

• Disagree
Reactions: damonbrodie
I really hate that the seat heaters are in climate now. If I want just the seat heater on w/o climate, I have to turn climate ON, turn seat heater on, the turn climate off. Then if I want to turn the seat heater off, or even see whether the seat heater is on, I have to turn climate back on again, turn seat heater off, then climate off. A lot of unnecessary on/off of the heat pump as well as more time looking away from the road. The voice command for seat heaters isn’t intuitive, and certainly isn’t an option for the passenger. I hate it. Is there a shortcut I’m missing?

I also have a bug that when I close the drivers door, the window goes up as usual, but then ALL the windows go back down about 1/4 inch. The climate/heater also seems quite a bit louder than it used to. I liked the rear fan control on the main climate screen. I liked all the music stuff together too. And the cards. Blargh. I assume it’s not possible to revert to previous software?

Last edited:
It appears I've lost the controls I easily used which are now hidden in sub-menus and lost the cards that displayed below the car graphic completely.

Realizing change is sometimes difficult it is especially so when the change seems to be a step backward.

The light show and all the games are kind of silly and have no value but if I don't want, I don't have to use them.

Having the cards with the odometer and trip info, tire pressure info right below the car graphic was a nice touch.

I see reference to "Simplified Controls" along with a graphic depicting same. I can't locate it so how simple is it.

Now I have to go to Controls>Trips
Controls>Service for tire pressure
Controls>Charging
First, the controls are more logical. Tire pressure seems a service-y thing to me, and intuitively a first-time user would look there.

Second, you can now add specific apps to the menu bar, so you get to choose what is quick access.

Overall, I dont see any particularly negative changes, apart from muscle-memory issues. Possibly the only thing which is a bit odd is hiding the driver profiles under the Control menu, since you cannot see which profile is chosen at a glance (more important for people like me with multiple profiles, no doubt).

I actually do like the new update. I get it, things moved, but for me, I very seldom used the trip card or the tire pressure. Just to check once a week if that. So if it’s somewhere else, to me, that’s fine.

I like that finally when you turn the signal lights on, the cameras turn on. FINALLY!!

The fact that you can now customize the bottom menu to put the apps you want, instead of opening the music button, then making it bigger to switch to another app (FM/spotify/etc) now there are individual apps and you can have a button for them there for east access.

And come on, the light show is kinda cool even tho it’s silly, isn’t that what Teslas have always been about? Different, cool, silly.
Spot on! Every time Tesla move a single pixel someone claims the world has ended and the car is now useless. So far as I can see, the control reorganization is quite logical .. tire pressure in service seems kinda obvious, and the removal of the "cards" interface (which MANY have complained about) seems a good simplification of the UI and a reduction of the car learning curve. I think the button density on the main Controls screen is a bit high and looks cramped, but at least all the commonly used functions are on one screen now. I also like being able to swipe between traditional split-screen BEV+map view and full screen BEV view. Overall I think V11 is a decent cleanup of the UI.