Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found some good and some bad on the update. My major problem right now is the phone. Since the update the phone doesn't ring, no message on the screen, can't answer other than on the phone itself. Driving my wife and I nuts. Help please. Thanks

My major beef is the removal of the driver profile selection from the main screen.
The specifics of this behavior depend on Easy Entry but as far as I can tell it's worse than you describe. Prior to this update when changing profiles there was a pop-up with the profile and a cancel button. At this point, given reports of unreliable priority device, the only way to avoid the issue is to open controls and pick the profile you want before stepping on the brake.

I haven't been able to check out the V11 UI because my car has been and will be at a body shop for a rear-end collision damage for a while. I did read a lot about it in this and other threads here and watched a few Youtube videos covering it. I get the complaints people have, but after seeing it in action and running through how I might be using it in my mind, I think it'll be fine for me. Of course, I won't really know until I get my car back, but I think I will end up in the camp that's either neutral or positive toward V11. More importantly, I miss my MYP and just want it back regardless of UI.😭
if a 60 or 70 yr old with shakey hands (or too much coffee) can't operate the gui safely in a moving car, then the UI team failed.

not only are your fingers shakey (age, coffee, stress) but the road is bumpy and so you have 2 shakes going against you, possibly.

fine finger control on a touch screen is NOT what anyone considers a good thing for controlling thousands of pounds of moving metal and glass on wheels.

touch screens suck and its still in a proving period, before the masses have all been converted over to the knob-less style of UIs these days. but really guys, we're going in entirely the wrong direction here. if we're having trouble using this effectively, and we're the NERDS (so to speak), then what hope is there that joe average is gonna really like this?

fail. tesla, go back to school. and hire professionals. NOW, before you ruin another thing.
Very well stated.

My prediction: Telsa will NOT fix even the most egregious, safety-related problems of V11, until and unless:

1. the competition takes a bite out of Tesla sales and weakening owner loyalty, forcing change

2. Elon gets "in the mood" and on some unpredictable day orders a fix, here and there, of some of this mess

Why am I pessimistic? Because the management responsible for V11 will read all that has been written about the update and will pick out the positive voices ("you will get used to it" etc.) as justification that their work was indeed very good (confirmation bias).

First, the controls are more logical. Tire pressure seems a service-y thing to me, and intuitively a first-time user would look there.

Second, you can now add specific apps to the menu bar, so you get to choose what is quick access.

Overall, I dont see any particularly negative changes, apart from muscle-memory issues. Possibly the only thing which is a bit odd is hiding the driver profiles under the Control menu, since you cannot see which profile is chosen at a glance (more important for people like me with multiple profiles, no doubt).
How can you add specific apps to the menu bar, other than the ones that are in the pop-up. Why is the general music icon the furtherest away from the driver?? Any clues as to how to put it on the bottom left side (as it used to be?)

Attachments

• IMG_4985.jpg
    IMG_4985.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 72
Good feature to keep your windows from freezing to the top frame. that feature was implemented a while back. You may not have noticed it, until now. Once it gets below ~40 degrees it will activate. It used to be just the front windows but now includes the back ones too.
They would better do that with door handles. Do we expect that next? Opening a door on a highway as a feature? To prevent you from accidental door sticking?

Good feature to keep your windows from freezing to the top frame. that feature was implemented a while back. You may not have noticed it, until now. Once it gets below ~40 degrees it will activate. It used to be just the front windows but now includes the back ones too.
They would better do that with door handles. Do we expect that next? Opening a door on a highway as a feature? To prevent you from accidental door sticking?

This is basically an argument about muscle-memory. YOU know where stuff is, so it's obvious, and who needs help?

No, not at all.
Here’s a great example. I picked up a coworker who’d never been in a Tesla before. Within moments they said NICE, and selected a comfy heated seat for themselves. First time my daughter sat in the car, same thing. Me too for that matter.
Now they’d never even know the car had heated seats. That’s stupid.

Last edited: