Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday update - no boombox for me :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: SeattleSteve
got my Model Y back in March with no pedestrian speakers so I didn’t get the boombox option in Toybox :mad:
I also received my model y at the end of March with no PWS speaker. I recently had the speaker added at my local service center for a total of $105.00. Speaker was $55.00 plus labor. If you decide to have it added make sure you test out the system prior to leaving the service center. I failed to test it prior to leaving and noticed it wasn’t working the next day. I had to schedule a mobile service appointment for Tesla engineering to update some settings and now everything works great! Good Luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: SeattleSteve
looks like Elon tweeted to Silicon Valley group yesterday saying he will check with service to retrofit speakers for earlier models.

but for those without speakers, I wonder if it’s a blessing since our car is a ninja going around

As one who was hoping the holiday update would contain some functionality even remotely related to the $8,000 I shelled out for FSD, I thought the holiday update was underwhelming -- silly and inane -- at best a shiny object meant to distract us. But I admit to being in the minority. Apparently a large percentage of Tesla owners are now completely fulfilled and wholly content with improved farting sounds. And games. Klondike - what a coup!

As one who was hoping the holiday update would contain some functionality even remotely related to the $8,000 I shelled out for FSD, I thought the holiday update was underwhelming -- silly and inane -- at best a shiny object meant to distract us. But I admit to being in the minority. Apparently a large percentage of Tesla owners are now completely fulfilled and wholly content with improved farting sounds. And games. Klondike - what a coup!

Not in any way diminishing your disappointment (and I’m not picking on you - I guess I’ve just read way too many people complaining on Reddit and forums), but at no point in time has anyone in the know construed the Tesla holiday update as having anything to do with FSD. We know the FSD betas are happening, and we know that the MCU, the UI, games, Autopilot/FSD, and car functionality are different teams.

I’ve noticed that people set their own expectations and then get disappointed by it. People took Elon’s “holiday update going to be lit” tweet and extrapolated that to mean FSD. I don’t know why.

FSD has always been a “future investment” and as you’ve seen in the FSD betas is progressing very quickly. However, also as some of the FSD beta testers have publicly claimed - its not ready for mass consumption. Paying any amount of money does not make it better/safer to get it early. Elon promised early FSD investors they would get it in EAP. That point hasn’t been reached yet. It will be sooner than later, but right now its the equivalent to some extremely curated pilot testing, which is the right and safe thing to do.

So I had a scheduled mobile service visit to address my rear seat switches that weren't functioning and folding the seats. I asked the tech about the speaker and he said that he is unable to order them nor install them. Also he mentioned about using "another speaker" and a firmware update vs having to retrofit. Not sure how much I buy into the using of another speaker.

Not in any way diminishing your disappointment (and I’m not picking on you - I guess I’ve just read way too many people complaining on Reddit and forums), but at no point in time has anyone in the know construed the Tesla holiday update as having anything to do with FSD. We know the FSD betas are happening, and we know that the MCU, the UI, games, Autopilot/FSD, and car functionality are different teams.

I’ve noticed that people set their own expectations and then get disappointed by it. People took Elon’s “holiday update going to be lit” tweet and extrapolated that to mean FSD. I don’t know why.

FSD has always been a “future investment” and as you’ve seen in the FSD betas is progressing very quickly. However, also as some of the FSD beta testers have publicly claimed - its not ready for mass consumption. Paying any amount of money does not make it better/safer to get it early. Elon promised early FSD investors they would get it in EAP. That point hasn’t been reached yet. It will be sooner than later, but right now its the equivalent to some extremely curated pilot testing, which is the right and safe thing to do.

From Forbes, Oct 21:
Elon Musk Foresees Self-Driving Being Released to Public by End of 2020
The Tesla CEO says that closed beta launched last night will be ready for all compatible Teslas by year's end.

That's where my expectation came from.