Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charger Installation (Toronto)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just put down the deposit for a Model S 90D, so excited! Started looking at home charger installs and wanted to get an ideal of how much we should expect to install a HPWC.

We have a 220 amps electrical system already, assuming minimal distance between the electrical panel and where the charger will be installed, charger will be installed outdoors.

What can we expect? I have heard of the "Tesla tax", should I be asking for a quote to install a NEMA 14-50? Is there any difference from the electrician's perspective when installing a HPWC vs. a NEMA 14-50? Also, is there a permit required if I'm not upgrading our electrical system?

Thanks!

There is a difference if you want to get the full power out of an HPWC as it takes 80 A. So that would require lower AWG wire and a larger breaker so it would definitely cost more. Presumably the 50 of a NEMA 14-50 means 50 Amps. I believe you should get some money back form the ON govt - at least you did two years ago when I had mine installed. Up to $500 for each the charger and the labour.

• Helpful
Reactions: TrevTremaine
There is a difference if you want to get the full power out of an HPWC as it takes 80 A. So that would require lower AWG wire and a larger breaker so it would definitely cost more. Presumably the 50 of a NEMA 14-50 means 50 Amps. I believe you should get some money back form the ON govt - at least you did two years ago when I had mine installed. Up to $500 for each the charger and the labour.

That makes sense, thank you! Yes, there is still a rebate from ON government for installing the charger.

I put a 14.50 receptacle on the wall with 40 amp breaker. Electrician said It would cost 4k to put in 100amp service.
Service ctrl told me yesterday my dual chargers only work on 100 amp service. Wasted that money.

Dual chargers usually are overkill for home use anyway. Where they are really nice to have is on long trips away from home, off the supercharger network. Look for Tesla destination chargers. Sun Country Highway also has several 80 Amp charging stations, mostly in Canada.

GSP

I have a model 3 reserved and have searched for this. To be elegible for the electrical upgrade grant when do I get the upgrade done? I know I have to have the car and VIN to claim it. Can I do the upgrade now and claim it in a year when I get the car? Thanks

I have a model 3 reserved and have searched for this. To be elegible for the electrical upgrade grant when do I get the upgrade done? I know I have to have the car and VIN to claim it. Can I do the upgrade now and claim it in a year when I get the car? Thanks
I believe you need to have the car first to claim the charger credit. They track this rebate with your VIN. You will need to submit a certificate of inspection and that will clearly show the date of installation.

Thanks for the input. I just had an idea as i was reading this. The door from the inside of the garage into the house opens directly into the laundry room. The 30 amp dryer plug is 3 feet from the door. For charging initially until i can get the electrical work done I could back the car in and use Tesla's Nema 14-30 adapter on the UMC. OK, solved!

Smart Electric. I believe I heard/read that Trevor bought the Wall Charger and had it installed knowing it would be exempt from the rebate.

I just found in the Ontario info that you have to claim the rebate within 3 months of purchasing the Tesla wall charger. It also must be purchased 'locally', not online from the states.

I just found in the Ontario info that you have to claim the rebate within 3 months of purchasing the Tesla wall charger. It also must be purchased 'locally', not online from the states.
I am pretty sure that you can buy the Tesla HPWC from their web site. I know I ordered mine in the same transaction as when I ordered my car 2.5 years ago and I got my rebate.

Hello Guys, can anyone please recommend a good electrician to install a 8 ft wall charger for TM3.
How much can I expect to pay and do we need a "discount switch" (what is it anyways. My neighbour says I need a discount switch). Thank you guys. cheers!

Hello Guys, can anyone please recommend a good electrician to install a 8 ft wall charger for TM3.
How much can I expect to pay and do we need a "discount switch" (what is it anyways. My neighbour says I need a discount switch). Thank you guys. cheers!
Maybe a 'disconnect' switch? Just like a circuit breaker except mounted outside in the elements or on an external switch?

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric