Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charger installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if that has been asked a million times but I couldn't find any obvious answers from the forum.
Collecting my Tesla next week and need to sort out a home charger. I've chosen an installer from the Government's OLEV list so I can get the grant. They're coming round to quote tomorrow however on the list of devices they seem to be approved for there was only Rolec ones.This maybe fine but what has everyone else had installed? Does it really matter?
I was going to buy the Tesla one but understand this is not OLEV approved so no grant. How does the grant work, does the installer claim it and just take that amount off the bill or do you have to do something yourself?

Thanks in advance.

I got a PodPoint charger.

Basically you fill out the paperwork on their site as part of the whole application process and they claim the grant on your behalf.

Reason for podpoint - started the process with 3 different suppliers and they where the quickest by a country mile and so that's why they got the business.

This was July 2019 and things may have improved with other suppliers since then.

I take it you have made the 'tethered' 'untethered' decision

The installation company will want you to fill in their grant paperwork.

Rolec are fine but watch out for the installers inflating the price of the unit to then deduct the grant and ending up making money both ways. Lots of them are at it.

The Rolec wallpod can be had for £399, maybe even a bit less for self-install (your own electrician) without grant so just bear that in mind.

The good thing about the Rolec units is their water and dust resistance rating, I am going for one of the BasicCharge pedestals to get the advantage of the lighting feature and will be installed away from a building so needed something self-supporting and robust.

I had heard some of the older Rolec units have been melting themselves so ask about warranty and spares / what to do if you get a dodgy RCBO, but it should be fine and it will have warranty.

Also make sure if possible that the installer plans implementation onto its own circuit in your consumer unit to avoid being on a sub-main - this will be closer to the main breaker trip switch on your unit.

I am always suspicious of the bigger companies who bang out loads of these installs each day/week rocking up and rushing everything so keep an eye on them, stupid things like making sure holes drilled correctly in walls and what fixings they use etc

You should be fine, I’ve decided to have a 16A commando socket on our house (limited current capacity left on our consumer unit) then will have the Rolec pedestal off an outbuilding with separate supply @32A. Because we are very rural it gives backup. Not bothering with the grant as I prefer to use a trusted local electrician who knows the property and triple-checks everything.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I got a PodPoint charger.

Basically you fill out the paperwork on their site as part of the whole application process and they claim the grant on your behalf.

Reason for podpoint - started the process with 3 different suppliers and they where the quickest by a country mile and so that's why they got the business.

This was July 2019 and things may have improved with other suppliers since then.

I take it you have made the 'tethered' 'untethered' decision

Thank you. By that do you mean a kind of petrol pump set up with a built in cable (tethered) or just a socket and use the car lead (untethered)?
I figured tethered would be better as would save having to get the lead our each time.

The installation company will want you to fill in their grant paperwork.

Rolec are fine but watch out for the installers inflating the price of the unit to then deduct the grant and ending up making money both ways. Lots of them are at it.

The Rolec wallpod can be had for £399, maybe even a bit less for self-install (your own electrician) without grant so just bear that in mind.

The good thing about the Rolec units is their water and dust resistance rating, I am going for one of the BasicCharge pedestals to get the advantage of the lighting feature and will be installed away from a building so needed something self-supporting and robust.

I had heard some of the older Rolec units have been melting themselves so ask about warranty and spares / what to do if you get a dodgy RCBO, but it should be fine and it will have warranty.

Also make sure if possible that the installer plans implementation onto its own circuit in your consumer unit to avoid being on a sub-main - this will be closer to the main breaker trip switch on your unit.

I am always suspicious of the bigger companies who bang out loads of these installs each day/week rocking up and rushing everything so keep an eye on them, stupid things like making sure holes drilled correctly in walls and what fixings they use etc

You should be fine, I’ve decided to have a 16A commando socket on our house (limited current capacity left on our consumer unit) then will have the Rolec pedestal off an outbuilding with separate supply @32A. Because we are very rural it gives backup. Not bothering with the grant as I prefer to use a trusted local electrician who knows the property and triple-checks everything.

Thank you, loads of useful info there.

I have the Tesla one so no grant for me. I wanted three phase and the long cable and the ability to press a button to open the charge port.

I do prefer the look of the Tesla one but wondered if it could be used on other electric cars? Just thought about future proofing as who knows what I'll replace with in 3 years time. Can't see any other electric car manufacturer appealing to be honest but you never know.

A charge point having its own circuit (ie a dedicated MCB/RCBO breaker) is regulations, but you really want it installed in its own mini consumer unit as 32A for long periods gets pretty warm so a dedicated consumer unit (connected to main tails via a henley block - fancy name for a high powered junction box) will keep heat out and minimise problems - the installer is responsible for the whole installation so cannot blame any future problems on kit they never installed.

Agree with this - another reason why I’m forcing the 32A circuit onto a brand new installation on a newly-connected supply rather than our weird house wiring that has about 3 different extensions wired in over 50 years.

It’s definitely worth the planning time as melty-time is not a lot of fun and ends up ruining the convenience factor, plus ends up more expensive longer term if it then forces consumer unit replacement or further re-wiring etc.

If you go down the OLEV route, or in any case, don't be railroaded in to having the charger installed where the electrician wants it/where it's simple/cheapest/etc.

The lead, whether tethered or not, is a trip hazard and it's worth thinking through where it will go, how you usually park, what works for you, etc.

In my case, I'm going for the EO smart home, as I have PV on the garage roof, which I want to make the most off, and I intend to make the most of Octopus' variable tariffs, though I haven't decided between Go or Agile yet, and the point is moot, as they haven't upgraded my meter yet.

Also going for a dedicated 32A supply, taken from the meter box, to avoid de-rating the charger due to other loads, etc. In my case, this means a new cable to be buried between the house and garage, but it'll be worth it.

If you go down the OLEV route, or in any case, don't be railroaded in to having the charger installed where the electrician wants it/where it's simple/cheapest/etc.

The lead, whether tethered or not, is a trip hazard and it's worth thinking through where it will go, how you usually park, what works for you, etc.

In my case, I'm going for the EO smart home, as I have PV on the garage roof, which I want to make the most off, and I intend to make the most of Octopus' variable tariffs, though I haven't decided between Go or Agile yet, and the point is moot, as they haven't upgraded my meter yet.

Also going for a dedicated 32A supply, taken from the meter box, to avoid de-rating the charger due to other loads, etc. In my case, this means a new cable to be buried between the house and garage, but it'll be worth it.

Thank you. My consumer unit is pretty old. I have a new one ready to be installed and with a brother and father in law both electricians you'd think this would be installed by nowbnow seems being related to them slows down when they can do it for you!

You also have some other options depending on your priorities.

It is possible to get an OLEV qualifying charge point AND have a Tesla button enabled cable. This is possible for both tethered and untethered versions.

For untethered you can simply pick the OLEV qualifying untethered charge point of your choice, this might be because of the features it provides or because of its shape, size, cosmetics or install requirements. You can then use a Type 2 cable such as this one to get the Tesla button function, I've linked to the 32A three phase which you can have in a custom length and they also do a single phase version.

For tethered, you can also go for an OLEV qualifying tethered charge point and get a custom tethered cable fitted with the Tesla button if you get the pigtails version. It should be noted that you will need a charge point manufacturer who is willing to allow a custom tethered cable to be fitted during the install whilst not voiding their warranty. Many won't allow this but it is worth asking them if you have a specific need, I'd recommend Ohme and their wall charger if you wanted to go that route as they are super helpful.

I'm not suggesting either of the options above are the cheapest but if you have specific priorities regarding function, shape, size and cable lengths then they are worth knowing about.

Definitely be on your guard regarding the quote. Do not be surprised if it gets inflated so that £500 saving you thought you were going to have is actually more like £100, or less. The key thing to remember is that anyone on the OLEV list knows there's £500 "free money" in the quote.

Research the cost of the charger, and get a like for like quote from a local electrician who isn't in a position to claim the OLEV grant. You might be surprised at the parity between them.