Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charger installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't really want to jump on someone else's thread, but if you do have the charger installed on the outside of a building (garage), how do you control who can and can't use it?

It's not like stealing diesel..I think it would be a bit obvious for a car to be parked up for several hours! But, as others have said you can pop the breaker or whatever to disable it easily enough. And ... I'm sure only the nicest, honest people drive electric vehicles.

Thank you. By that do you mean a kind of petrol pump set up with a built in cable (tethered) or just a socket and use the car lead (untethered)?
I figured tethered would be better as would save having to get the lead our each time.
Yes that's what I meant. Also went tethered and have no regrets avoids the fumbling in the boot getting charging cable out when you get home, it's raining and you need to charge.

Make sure the cable length is sufficient to get from where you are planning to put the charger and the charge point on the car (passenger side rear)

Don't really want to jump on someone else's thread, but if you do have the charger installed on the outside of a building (garage), how do you control who can and can't use it?

Ohme charger lets you set a schedule for a charge to 0%, which effectively stops it working if you toggle all the other schedules off. Am sure others will have similar or even simpler ways of doing it.

Reactions: j1mgg

Who really cares? Mine are on ZapMap and free to use for anyone needing a top up as long as they call first.
I have a cheap Ebay ex equipment kWh meter on mine if I wish to charge but really its a drop in the ocean.
Anyway, I could always switch the DIP switch inside to limit it to fellow forum travellers. :p

Reactions: Durzel and pow216
I am awaiting a couple of quotes. I'll tell you what they said to see if any of you can point out anything obvious.

First one
Only able to get the grant on Rolec chargers. Several options and seemed quite straight forward. It was the Rolec Wallpod which looks pretty smart.

Second one
Can install most brands and get the grant but does not recommend Rolec as not very reliable and has the most problems. He recommended Myenergi Zappi as it has extra stuff built in meaning it doesn't need an earth rod. Also compatible if I ever decided to get solar panels one day. I asked about the Tesla charger and he said it's not worth it and mentioned several other things needed in addition and no grant. He also advised against any needing an earth rod as he would not be confident in the other company shoving it a metre into the ground and not hitting anything important.

Does that sound like good advice?

Thanks in advance

I had a pod point tethered charger installed (as it was the one offered on Nhsfleetsolutions). They came when agreed, did the work as I suggested and left. Was completely seamless - unlike the Tesla :(

It’s not the best looking charger and the app is just about functional but for convenience and considered it’s worked from day 1 I cannot complain. They get a thumbs up from me!

I had a pod point tethered charger installed (as it was the one offered on Nhsfleetsolutions). They came when agreed, did the work as I suggested and left. Was completely seamless - unlike the Tesla :(

It’s not the best looking charger and the app is just about functional but for convenience and considered it’s worked from day 1 I cannot complain. They get a thumbs up from me!
Thank you

Does this price look reasonable? I appreciate every installation will be slightly different so not always comparable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-06-19-18-01-00-476_com.google.android.apps.pdfviewer.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-06-19-18-01-00-476_com.google.android.apps.pdfviewer.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 76
I had two Zappi’s installed. When the second one was installed an Earth rod was put in. Apparently one should have been fitted years ago!
The Zappi does have an issue waking the model 3 in solar only mode as the car charging circuitry setup doesn’t yet conform to the recognised standard. Tesla are aware of this.

Does this price look reasonable? I appreciate every installation will be slightly different so not always comparable.

Yes it's a minefield. That's probably par for the course. Mine was £300 more than that ... and coincidentally in Scotland we can claim an extra £300 grant ... hmmm. Where are those grants going do you think? I was an innocent ... but now I know. Mine used an existing mini consumer unit ... no Henley Block ... an EV breaker RCD (available for £22) and about 2.5 metres of twin and earth and about 2 metres of cable ducting. With hindsight I could have done it myself for £40 plus the cost of the Zappi. (so probably much the same price since I got £800 worth of grants but it would have saved the taxpayer a few quid). You live and learn, and of course you need the certificates etc so kind of over a barrel.

Reactions: Durzel
The Matt:e device has been created to resolve/avoid/work around the earth spike issue.

Do a forum search for problems with that device. imho, its an upsell. Earth rods have been installed and used successfully for decades (and will continue to do so for many more) and I would worry about an installer who thought that they were tricky things to install. You want an EV charging system to be simple and as separate from existing house electrics as possible. An unneeded active device in the setup just adds unnecessary complexity and a point of failure or source of problems.

He recommended Myenergi Zappi as it has extra stuff built in meaning it doesn't need an earth rod. Also compatible if I ever decided to get solar panels one day.

I suggest reading about the limitations of a Zappi and whether one would provide a useful benefit to your own needs, circumstances and likely PV installation. For me, I find looking at the weather forecast and looking out of the window gives me 90% of what a Zappi might give me for half the year and for the pretty much all the other half, a Zappi would have no useful benefit what so ever.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the info and advice. I think one of the reason one installer liked the Zappi was reliability. Horses for course though.
At least no one has said the price is ridiculous and I'm being ripped off. Just waiting for the Rolec quote from the other guy and then will decide.

Do a forum search for problems with that device. imho, its an upsell. Earth rods have been installed and used successfully for decades (and will continue to do so for many more) and I would worry about an installer who thought that they were tricky things to install.

In my case, not an issue, there's clear accessible ground with nothing on/in it, right by the charger location. I'm certainly not paying extra for a Matt:e if they decide to use one, my preference would be for a proper rod.

If you're putting the charger in an area that is concreted/tarmac'd etc., or is likely to have a lot of services underneath it, driving earth rods could be troublesome (i.e. more work than the average installer is willing to undertake).

I initially wrote 'bodge' when I put 'resolve/avoid/work around', but then I changed it. I should have left it in....